music

hi8is

You know I disagree with that one. I think it all depends on the piece of music, and I really don't think some ideas can be conveyed in under 3 minutes. But hey, you like Metallica, and even on the "masterpiece" called Master Of Puppets they went on with long songs. Have you ever heard the Jello Biafra w DOA album Last Scream of the Missing Neighbors with the song "Full Metal Jackoff"? Not sure of the exact length, but it is about 10 minutes, maybe even 15. It is basically 2 riffs, mid tempo, but with so many lyrics from Jello that it HAD to be that long. Yes, two riffs, and the song never gets boring. :headbang

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 10:34 PM)
You know I disagree with that one. I think it all depends on the piece of music, and I really don't think some ideas can be conveyed in under 3 minutes. But hey, you like Metallica, and even on the "masterpiece" called Master Of Puppets they went on with long songs. Have you ever heard the Jello Biafra w DOA album Last Scream of the Missing Neighbors with the song "Full Metal Jackoff"? Not sure of the exact length, but it is about 10 minutes, maybe even 15. It is basically 2 riffs, mid tempo, but with so many lyrics from Jello that it HAD to be that long. Yes, two riffs, and the song never gets boring.  :headbang

Yes, I knew you would disagree, Mr Prog Rock.... :P :D

Of course there are exceptions that prove the rule, example being Metallica.

Even in the case of Metallica, I generally like the shorter songs, such as covers like Blitzkreig and relatively shorter songs like For Whom The Bell Tolls. I can handle longer songs once in a while, if they don't meander in the middle like almost every long Iron Maiden song would.

A one-song disc, though? Absolutely not.

I did hear that DOA/Jello disc, and was surprisingly underwhelmed. I never even bought it, and I was SUCH a Dead Kennedys mark. Full Metal Jackoff did lose me mid-song, as I recall..... :huh go figure. I just really don't like long songs as a rule.

I liked Lard much better, but hated HATED Jello's work with the supremely bothersome Mojo Nixon. Thank the heavens that guy seems to have faded away.

Yeah, it's funny how liking a few Prog bands has always gotten me the label of a Prog fan. You're not the only one to call me "Mr. Prog Rock". It's funny, I guess that says alot about that style of music. If you like one band, such as Rush, it can be accepted, but if you like more than one, you instantly become a "Prog Fan". Yeah, so I was listening to Lamb Lies Down On Broadway this morning and wondering how anybody could dislike it, so what! But I was thinking about your comments and the thought that any idea can be achieved in under 3 minutes. Ya know, I am not so sure that Gabriel's lyrics would sound right with a Backyard Babies style backing! LOL!!!

I take it you have no time at all for Classical? :huh:

Jello is a bit hit or miss, isn't he? Especially after DK.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 06:45 AM)
Yeah, it's funny how liking a few Prog bands has always gotten me the label of a Prog fan. You're not the only one to call me "Mr. Prog Rock". It's funny, I guess that says alot about that style of music. If you like one band, such as Rush, it can be accepted, but if you like more than one, you instantly become a "Prog Fan". Yeah, so I was listening to Lamb Lies Down On Broadway this morning and wondering how anybody could dislike it, so what! But I was thinking about your comments and the thought that any idea can be achieved in under 3 minutes. Ya know, I am not so sure that Gabriel's lyrics would sound right with a Backyard Babies style backing! LOL!!!

If it looks like a Prog fan, swims like a Prog fan, and quacks like a Prog fan..... :lol: :P

I have total respect for classical music, but I just don't have the ear for it.

The wife enjoys Mozart quite a bit, so I hear that every now and again, but I am a neanderthal and I know it! :D

.....and I always asked myself how anyone COULD like Lamb Lies Down.... :ph34r:

My brother played the hell out of that album when we were teenagers cuz he knew it bugged me, and I played White Man In Hammersmith Palais by the Clash cuz I knew he hated that song......ahhhhh, youthful immaturity......

post-DKs, Jello was and is EXTREMELY hit-and-miss, more miss than hit. I like Lard, as I said, and I like to hear a spoken word track once in a while, but certainly not enough to buy a spoken word disc.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 07:49 AM)
[My brother played the hell out of that album when we were teenagers cuz he knew it bugged me, and I played White Man In Hammersmith Palais by the Clash cuz I knew he hated that song......ahhhhh, youthful immaturity......

LOL! See, I woulda been VERY happy in your house, as I love both. :D Though Lamb gets the nod from me. The first Clash album is really the gem from them, with London Calling being one of the most overrated albums in music.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 07:45 AM)

I lost Genesis when they lost Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins lost his hair.

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
I lost Genesis when they lost Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins lost his hair.

Well, A Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering were very good, so for me they completely lost it with the departure of Hackett. I love Gabriel, and that is my favorite stuff by far, but the respectable stuff left for good with Hackett.

The last one, sans Collins, Calling All Stations actually has a few inspired moments they haven't had in years, but is a rather boring effort in the end.

On the Archives Vol. 1 boxset they include a live recording of Lamb, but on the original tapes the end song "The End" was lost. So the band reformed to newly record that one track. The track sounds IDENTICAL to how they soudned then, and for those of us hoping for a reunion someday, it gave hope to them being able to pull it off flawlessly.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
Nah, I'll just jump all over you for liking crappy music.

Lordy, I hope your stuff about me was meant to be in green there. I'm not some Tull freak, I just thought after 17 years the Metallica fans would have let that Grammy loss go, but I guess not. I like SOME Tull, and only have two albums of theirs. So are they the better Metal band? No. But they are the better band.  :P

It was supposed to be green....

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 11, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
LOL! See, I woulda been VERY happy in your house, as I love both.  :D  Though Lamb gets the nod from me. The first Clash album is really the gem from them, with London Calling being one of the most overrated albums in music.

I love London Calling to be honest with you, but I think Combat Rock may have been their best effort. But I could be biased because it has Allen Ginsberg spoken word on the record.

Right now I'm listening to the latest Missy Higgins CD (she's a local act down here). It's not usually the type of music I really enjoy listening to (think Fiona Apple), but I thought it was really good, she's got a real nice aussie voice, to put it that way, and I got Soxy listening to it as well. :snr

Just went and saw Ani DiFranco (who is surprisingly short, waiflike, and adorable). Played a lot of her newer stuff--but it was a great show. She's so cool. It was nice to see an artist who has a lot of talent (both performing and writing). Just incredible--so glad I could finally catch her.

And I would like to echo DBAHO's sentiment of Missy Higgins--I have gotten half of my department hooked on her--she's really talented and heartfelt.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 3, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
Anyone listen to the new 'Hot Hot Heat' or "Garbage' records yet?

Thoughts?

New Hot Hot Heat is real good, I'm going to see their Q101 show June 3rd with one of my buddies downtown, I'm pretty excited.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ May 4, 2005 -> 12:12 AM)
New Hot Hot Heat is real good, I'm going to see their Q101 show June 3rd with one of my buddies downtown, I'm pretty excited.

Yeah, that record is a lot of fun. You must be talking about the Q101 block party. I wanted to see them and Interpol, but it happens to fall on my wife's B-Day and she just ain't feelin' it. :huh

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ May 4, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
Anyone buy the Ben Folds CD or have atleast listened to it? I'm thinking of going out and buying it.

I've heard 1 song and wasn't really blown away. You should maybe try to listen to it before you buy it.

• 5 weeks later...

I just dusted off my copy of Under the Pink by Tori Amos.

I'm a big Tori fan--but Little Earthquakes has always been my favorite. Until I re-listened to this disc I had forgotten how good, thoughtful and well composed it is. Just wanted to share my rediscovery. :)

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

QUOTE(Bridgeport Sox @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
I went to the Dave Matthews showthe other night at the Tweeter Center. Anyone else go too?

I was there, CWSGuy406 was as well, good show, s***ty venue. I can't wait till July, I'm going to see the band play in East Troy at Alpine Valley, should be exciting they broke out Superfreak last year the day after Rick James passed away, that was amazing... but anyway I think they definitely blew the crowd away with Watchtower, it was amazing... :headbang