music

hi8is

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Brian McComas and Deana Carter over the weekend at Spiedie Fest and Balloon Rally (local fest). They were pretty good, I only knew one of Brian McComas' songs, but his show had a lot of energy and was pretty fun--and he did a decent cover of Merle Haggard, so that was good.

Deana Carter was also really good. Played a really nice mix of new stuff and old stuff. She also had a lot of energy and put on a good show. It was nice, smallish crowd, outside, good weather, good music. Definitely fun. Also, made me want to hunt down my copy of her first cd (I think. . .) Did I Shave my Legs for This?

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:11 AM)
i just got stars - set yourself on fire and okkervil river - black sheep boy

i saw okkervil river when i saw the decemberists and knew of stars through broken social scene...i am pleased with both...got them from a radiohead message board.

Lots of hype over Okkervil River. Who/what do they sound like?

well, Okkervil river has an eclectic blend of instruments on their albums ala the decemberists, but they have very dark lyrics, and some really great songs. For real and black are my two favorites off of black sheep boy.

Today I am listening to:

Rare 50's Boston Rockabilly - vol. 1

Billy Lee Riley - Red Hot, the best of Billy Lee Riley

Bill Haley And The Comet - Singles Collection

Rockabilly Mafia - Woman, Oh, Woman

The Blue Flames - Memphis To Chicago

Carl Perkins - Original Sun Recordings

Brian Setzer - Rockabilly Riot, A Tribute To Sun Records

Sonny BUrgess and the Pacers - We Wanna Boogie

Edited by Kid Gleason

I'm in a jeff mangum fix right now...

so i'm going to college a week from monday to the university of mizzou...and i'm gonna miss going to shows badly, KC has some great shows coming up but it appears the only way i can get there is through greyhound bus...and i wouldn't be able to make it back in the morning ever for class...it suckkkks

Anyone going to Coldplay at Alpine Valley this weekend?

I think I'm making the trip with my buddies. Its probably the best concert venue I'll ever go to in my life. I saw Dave Matthews Band there a few weeks ago and was blown away by the whole place. The acoustics there are stunning and the view from the lawn is incredible.

The X and Y tour is gonna kick ass.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)

I think I'm making the trip with my buddies.  Its probably the best concert venue I'll ever go to in my life.  I saw Dave Matthews Band there a few weeks ago and was blown away by the whole place.  The acoustics there are stunning and the view from the lawn is incredible.

I'm gonna be there this weekend with a friend. I've never seen Coldplay preform live and I cannot wait! Plus Rilo Kiley is the opening band and they're one of my favorites too! :)

Edited by KJean

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
I'm in a jeff mangum fix right now...

so i'm going to college a week from monday to the university of mizzou...and i'm gonna miss going to shows badly, KC has some great shows coming up but it appears the only way i can get there is through greyhound bus...and i wouldn't be able to make it back in the morning ever for class...it suckkkks

Yesss... Aeroplane :headbang

I just somehow obtained, through a magical box that also displays pictures of naked girls, the new album by North Carolina Super Shredders Between the Buried and Me "Alaska". Haven't gotten all the way through it but so far I'm loving it. So heavy yet so sweet and melodic. It's getting me really pumped to see them next week at the Whisky.

I've also been wearing out Alkaline Trio's "Crimson" (So far my album of the year for '05) and dredg "Catch Without Arms" (Where have these guys been all my life?)

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

I finally listened to the full Coldplay X an Y album after seeing them up at alpine and damn, this album absolutely blows me away. Chris Martin is an amazing talent. Such a sweet sound comes from this band yet it rocks. I'm very impressed and hope they have a winter tour.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)
Bump.

I finally listened to the full Coldplay X an Y album after seeing them up at alpine and damn, this album absolutely blows me away.  Chris Martin is an amazing talent.  Such a sweet sound comes from this band yet it rocks.  I'm very impressed and hope they have a winter tour.

Everyone is crazy about that record. I still can't really get into X and Y. The music isn't bad, but vocally, all I hear is a Bono wanna be and it's difficult for me to get around that. :huh

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 11:37 PM)
Everyone is crazy about that record. I still can't really get into X and Y. The music isn't bad, but vocally, all I hear is a Bono wanna be and it's difficult for me to get around that. :huh

Alot of people say that he's a bono wannabe. I disagree think Chris Martin is outstanding. His stage presence is stunning as well. I can see the comparisons, but Martin isnt an egomaniac like Bono so i like him a little better.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 12:39 AM)
Alot of people say that he's a bono wannabe.  I disagree think Chris Martin is outstanding.  His stage presence is stunning as well.  I can see the comparisons, but Martin isnt an egomaniac like Bono so i like him a little better.

I'm talking about purely the sound and style of the vocals, there are similaritites.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)

I think I'm making the trip with my buddies.  Its probably the best concert venue I'll ever go to in my life.  I saw Dave Matthews Band there a few weeks ago and was blown away by the whole place.  The acoustics there are stunning and the view from the lawn is incredible.

Remind me to upload pics from the concert that I snapped from my cell phone. I figured as you're a rather LARGE Coldplay fan you might enjoy them. :lol:

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
Bump.

I finally listened to the full Coldplay X an Y album after seeing them up at alpine and damn, this album absolutely blows me away.  Chris Martin is an amazing talent.  Such a sweet sound comes from this band yet it rocks.  I'm very impressed and hope they have a winter tour.

I've been listening to that for a month or two now. I know some people here hate Coldplay (Cerb I'm lookin in your direction :lol:), but I'm usually a bit of a fan. That said, even though there are some ok to good songs on X and Y, I like their older stuff better.

And they're usually great at a live concert though, from what people who have told me.

Headed to Atlanta on September 8th for the Foozer concert!!

Foo Fighters, and Weezer. While I'm not overly enthused about seeing Weezer, I still like alot of their stuff. Its because of Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel, and Chris Shiflett that I'm pumped....

HUGE Foo fan here, and this is the first time I get to see the guys in action.