• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hi8is @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)
ROB THOMAS, LIKE OH MY GOD

I LIKE, LOVE HIM SO MUCH!

LIKE THAT IS SOOO SEXY!

HECK YES!

Although I think Matchbox/Rob has gone down in quality progressively since that first album, I will say this about Mr. Thomas: Yum.

I saw Matchbox about 5 years ago 5th row center, and yeah I can't think of anything clean/appropriate enough to say about my thoughts on RT, but um, yeah, if this site ever becomes 18+ I will venture into that.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
Although I think Matchbox/Rob has gone down in quality progressively since that first album, I will say this about Mr. Thomas: Yum.

I saw Matchbox about 5 years ago 5th row center, and yeah I can't think of anything clean/appropriate enough to say about my thoughts on RT, but um, yeah, if this site ever becomes 18+ I will venture into that.

Soxy.. did you pick up his solo effort..? He needs work, but it was a good start.

And yes.. I'm with you on the "yum". ;)

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
Soxy.. did you pick up his solo effort..? He needs work, but it was a good start.

And yes.. I'm with you on the "yum".  ;)

I haven't gotten it yet. I always look at it at Target, but I'm not too keen on his two singles. Is the whole album in that vein or does it branch out?

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
I haven't gotten it yet. I always look at it at Target, but I'm not too keen on his two singles. Is the whole album in that vein or does it branch out?

It branches a bit on most, but pretty far on a couple towards the end. When I first got it I was like.. eh... but it's grown on me. Seeing him earlier this year helped. It should be on the discount rack by now.. let me know when you give it a listen.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
It impresses me that they still make good, relevant music. I didn't think they'd last.

i agree, that 'shoe gaze' genre as has been called upon by others to me so i'll adopt it...seems so restrictive...yet i usually love every album and they all doo sound different...reminds me of pavement...they sound like the same band...same genre of music...but its definately different, in terms of confidence or meddling or producing...each album is its own gem...and odditorium or the warlords of mars i believe its called is an excellent album.

and if nobody minds me venting on pitchfork, they have helped me find a lot of bands and quite a bit of garbage, but why they hype pop rap sooo much is beyond me...i think music critics get frustrated in their lack of voice if they are not reporting on the culture as much as the music...i see greg kot and jim devrounses seem to get frustrated and i think pitchfork overcompensates by saying, LOOK, we like hip hop! when acts like the roots and saul williams, dizzee rascal, and common are more accepted by the indie scene, they hype kanye west, jay - z, and others...i just find it odd and stupid. There is nooo f'n way that kanyes latest album is a 9.5...and better or more influential than sufjan stevens album...or s***, sooo many albums were better...kanye recycled raps and his beats were glossed over...

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)

The funny thing is that Matchbox was basically all Thomas, especially on the last one. I get a kick out of an artist going solo when they are actually the band to begin with.

I can't comment on the "yummy" aspect of Thomas with you ladies, but I can say that my wife fully agrees with you. :D

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
i agree, that 'shoe gaze' genre as has been called upon by others to me so i'll adopt it...seems so restrictive...yet i usually love every album and they all doo sound different...reminds me of pavement...they sound like the same band...same genre of music...but its definately different, in terms of confidence or meddling or producing...each album is its own gem...and odditorium or the warlords of mars i believe its called is an excellent album.

and if nobody minds me venting on pitchfork, they have helped me find a lot of bands and quite a bit of garbage, but why they hype pop rap sooo much is beyond me...i think music critics get frustrated in their lack of voice if they are not reporting on the culture as much as the music...i see greg kot and jim devrounses seem to get frustrated and i think pitchfork overcompensates by saying, LOOK, we like hip hop! when acts like the roots and saul williams, dizzee rascal, and common are more accepted by the indie scene, they hype kanye west, jay - z, and others...i just find it odd and stupid. There is nooo f'n way that kanyes latest album is a 9.5...and better or more influential than sufjan stevens album...or s***, sooo many albums were better...kanye recycled raps and his beats were glossed over...

I just remember the Dandy's were very pretty and really had the 'hype machine' behind them. Those two things usually mean a 1 hit wonder career. They've always been very talented, nice to see them still around.

As for rap, I used to follow the underground. I'm not even sure if hip hop exists any more. Rap is alive and crappy as usual, but what happened to 'hip hop'?

I ocassionally read pop matters and pitchfork by the way.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Good grief.. I thought I, at the very least, would get some crap about this one..  :lolhitting

I was going to but then decided that it wasn't worth my time :P You're a lost cause...

As for me I just got tix to the Chevelle, Taproot concert. Very pedestrian of me, I know, but heck the Aragon is a great place to see a show and Taproot rocks live. :headbang

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Good grief.. I thought I, at the very least, would get some crap about this one..  :lolhitting

I think it's because everybody gave you s*** last time you had a Rob Thomas thread, and we're all out of jokes.....

:D

And while I personally don't like his music, my wife does and she sort of agrees on the "yum" aspect, except she says he has "stalker eyes".... :lol:

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)
I just remember the Dandy's were very pretty and really had the 'hype machine' behind them. Those two things usually mean a 1 hit wonder career. They've always been very talented, nice to see them still around.

The thing about the Dandys is that they embraced their "prettiness", Courtney Taylor writes so many songs about how pretty he is and how great he is doing, I find it very funny. But instead of finding the songs egotistical and cocky, i find the songs humorous and tongue-in-cheek.

Im more pumped for the Odditorium right now than I have been for an album in a long time.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)
As for me I just got tix to the Chevelle, Taproot concert. Very pedestrian of me, I know, but heck the Aragon is a great place to see a show and Taproot rocks live. :headbang

should be a good show... :headbang

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
I hope you knew I was just bustin' your balls. (Can I still say that?) I agree with you and feel the same way about a few other bands. I don't know what conversatiions you've had with Crowes fans, but all the ones I know are WELL aware of rock n roll history.

:cheers

Yeah, I knew them balls were busting, but I had to have my say. You mention my name, I have to up my post count. And as for the Crowes fans I have been talkign to, I guess I am only finding the stupid ones. :D

Off topic here, but Kid Gleason...everytime i see a post of yours, i just sit and watch those amazing special effects on your avatar!!  Thats good stuff.

It is a killer avatar, isn't it??? I found it on one of my Classic Horror film boards I frequent all the time. Glad ya like it!

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
Yeah, I knew them balls were busting, but I had to have my say. You mention my name, I have to up my post count. And as for the Crowes fans I have been talkign to, I guess I am only finding the stupid ones.  :D 

It is a killer avatar, isn't it??? I found it on one of my Classic Horror film boards I frequent all the time. Glad ya like it!

Eh, I don't know if I'd call them stupid, how about ignorant? A lot of rock fans especially the younger ones just haven't been around long enough to know where it all comes from and see it's evolution.

Hey, if Chris belts out 'Stay with me', I'll record it for ya.

;)

Led Zeppelin, Guns N Roses, Bob Seger, Bob Marley, Third World (reggae), Aerosmith, Van Halen, Pink Floyd and other classic groups. Sublime is pretty good out of the moderns. I used to like Journey and then I saw them do the Wrigley 7th inning stretch decked out in Cubs gear, so that kind of changed.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
Eh, I don't know if I'd call them stupid, how about ignorant?    A lot of rock fans especially the younger ones just haven't been around long enough to know where it all comes from and see it's evolution.

Hey, if Chris belts out 'Stay with me', I'll record it for ya.

;)

I'm talking guys my age, 35, why are also musicians, so I stand by stupid. If you play and are as old as me, you no longer can claim "ignorance". :D

Hey, the Crowes have done numerous Faces covers (I think they even have done "Miss Judy's Farm"), and I have liked them all.

I know this is kind of late, but I went to the Motley Crue concert on saturday night at the Tweeter Center. I gotta tell you, that was easily the most entertaining concert I have ever been to. Vince sounded awesome. The whole band sounded awesome. Just wanted to give my critique.

QUOTE(slick03 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
I know this is kind of late, but I went to the Motley Crue concert on saturday night at the Tweeter Center.  I gotta tell you, that was easily the most entertaining concert I have ever been to.

You should have gone to The Wiggles show at the All-State a few weeks ago! THAT was entertainment value for your dollar!!!

QUOTE(slick03 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
I know this is kind of late, but I went to the Motley Crue concert on saturday night at the Tweeter Center.  I gotta tell you, that was easily the most entertaining concert I have ever been to.  Vince sounded awesome.  The whole band sounded awesome.  Just wanted to give my critique.

I went a couple years ago when Poison was with them.. best people watching ever.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
You should have gone to The Wiggles show at the All-State a few weeks ago! THAT was entertainment value for your dollar!!!

My wife took my daughter to a Wiggles show a couple years ago, and she shook hands with MURRAY WIGGLE!!!

Murray, for those who don't know, is like the Mike Nesmith of the Wiggles. He is the guitarist and "rock star" of the Wiggles, so it was VERY cool to meet him!

Of course, it all happened too fast for the Mrs. to get the camera out of her purse, so there's no photographic evidence of the meeting, just my daughter's re-telling of her Murray encounter every time the Wiggles are on TV.

:D