music

hi8is

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, all the death cab cd's are pricey because they're probably on a low run so the label has to charge more to cover costs. My tip for you is (if you really enjoy them) is to download their albums off of itunes. 10bucks per album, I pretty much got the rest of their collection for 30 bucks (i already had transatlanticism).

I bet you're right about Yellowcard and playing in Cali. Maybe my expectations were too high for them or something, but I'm quite sure I need to see them at least one more time to get a good read on them.

However for knowing who Death Cab is without mentioned "The O.C." gets you even more props from me. :headbang

Yea, all the death cab cd's are pricey because they're probably on a low run so the label has to charge more to cover costs. My tip for you is (if you really enjoy them) is to download their albums off of itunes. 10bucks per album, I pretty much got the rest of their collection for 30 bucks (i already had transatlanticism).

I bet you're right about Yellowcard and playing in Cali. Maybe my expectations were too high for them or something, but I'm quite sure I need to see them at least one more time to get a good read on them.

However for knowing who Death Cab is without mentioned "The O.C." gets you even more props from me. :headbang

Lol, did they have a song on one of the OC's episodes, cause I unless I'm mistaken I was thinking they are from the Seattle area. They were pretty small up their for quite a while until they kind of started to get more of a following.

They got a real unique, but definately enjoyable sound. I'm gonna look for them if they come down here, since u say they put on a good show.

I'm also gonna take up your suggestion for Itunes. I remember seeing almost all their Cd's at like 19.99 and I refuse to pay that for a CD, lol. Never used itunes before, so might as well try it out.

They played with Pedro the Lion and Ben Kweller when they came to town (Death Cab) that is. The show was 18 bucks and Pedro and Death Cab made it more than worth it. They don't pull any stage gimmicks or anything, but they play really well and put on a good show.

Yea, I know they're from Seattle (as is Pedro), my roommate from Oregon got me into them. They're just starting to get a solid following across the country, and it can mostly be attributed to The O.C. oddly enough. Their song "A Lack of Color" was played pretty much in full during one episode, and the character Seth drops their name all the time.

Itunes is defintely the way to go to grab independent music...they don't have production costs so they can charge the same thing for everyone. I agree with you on the not paying 20 bucks for a cd concept...20 bucks for a cd is insane. That's mostly why I download because cd prices have gotten outrageous.

Answer: Postal Service was a spinoff of Death Cab I believe. I'm 99% sure the lead singer is the same.

Ya, I was huge into downloading a while ago. Now I try to buy cd's if I can. Most of the bands I like have cd's pretty cheap when they first come out. I remember getting Alk trio for like 6 or 7 bucks, same for Yellowcard, Ben Harper and at least a few others.

Still, I freaking hate buying cd's, I must admit, lol and rarely will I ever buy from a major record label anymore.

I remember the Alk Trio release, it was like 10 bucks around these parts. To me, that's reasonable for a cd and I paid the same for Taking Back Sunday's album, and Yellowcard's Ocean Aveune too. I think 15 is my limit when it comes to buying cds unless it's a double or has a dvd or something.

Ya, usually I go around 9.99 unless its something I really like and typically thats for older stuff (I notice older cd's are sometimes more).

I figure if I can buy dvd's for 10 bucks, I shouldn't pay more for cd's, hehe.

I just downloaded itunes and holy crap does this thing work pretty damn nice. I must admit it. If they end up lowering the price of downloading music or have some unlimited download package where you can burn at a reasonable price, they could make a fortune.

Congrats on the 18,000th post there!  :cheers

I'm glad I induced it, however we're spam masters tonight.  :ph34r:

The Big 1-8-0-0-0! Congrats Jas! :cheers I've got quite some time until I reach that number. Maybe I can do it by the time I'm 21!

I guess I should save this thread due to the massive amount of s*** music (Yellowcard, Death Cab for Cutie, Linkin Park, just about any band even listed), and post mine:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Sigur Ros

Mogwai

Kammerflimmer Kollektief

Magyar Posse

Kraftwerk

R.E.M.

Radiohead

Rachel's

Tortoise

My Bloody Valentine

Neutral Milk Hotel

Interpol (new album, don't like the old one too much)

Explosions In The Sky

Do Make Say Think

A Silver Mt. Zion (some)

I guess I should save this thread due to the massive amount of s*** music (Yellowcard, Death Cab for Cutie, Linkin Park, just about any band even listed), and post mine:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Sigur Ros

Mogwai

Kammerflimmer Kollektief

Magyar Posse

Kraftwerk

R.E.M.

Radiohead

Rachel's

Tortoise

My Bloody Valentine

Neutral Milk Hotel

Interpol (new album, don't like the old one too much)

Explosions In The Sky

Do Make Say Think

A Silver Mt. Zion (some)

To me, it's this type of elitist bulls*** that pisses me off. Just because YOU don't like a certain band doesn't mean they're s***. I listen to all types of music and if I like it, I like it. I don't check to see if they're too mainstream or on MTV or whatever.

I bet you use the term "sell out" a ton, don't you? Face it, the goal of at least 90% of bands out there is to sell out. They want to be popular, they want a huge following; I doubt they want to have to do something other than the thing they love (playing music) to support themselves. Granted, there are right and wrong ways to sell out (see Aerosmith for the wrong ways) but to turn on a band or to completely write them off because they're "too popular" or "selling out" is narrow-minded.

Of course you may have heard all of these bands extensively and just do not like their stuff, however to come on here and undermine everyone else's opinion is just plain stupid. Leave that elitist "my band is better than yours" attitude at the door.

Sorry to flip out, but this is a subject that strikes a chord with me.

good people like LP over here. i got drilled for liking them elsewhere. but i like LP, System of a Down, Blink-182, Good Charlotte, Boxcar Racer, Audioslave, Queen, Yellowcard, Story Of The Year, Trapt, P.O.D, Newsboys, Jars Of Clay, The W's, Chavelle

To me, it's this type of elitist bulls*** that pisses me off. Just because YOU don't like a certain band doesn't mean they're s***. I listen to all types of music and if I like it, I like it. I don't check to see if they're too mainstream or on MTV or whatever.

I bet you use the term "sell out" a ton, don't you? Face it, the goal of at least 90% of bands out there is to sell out. They want to be popular, they want a huge following; I doubt they want to have to do something other than the thing they love (playing music) to support themselves. Granted, there are right and wrong ways to sell out (see Aerosmith for the wrong ways) but to turn on a band or to completely write them off because they're "too popular" or "selling out" is narrow-minded.

of course cerbaho can speak for himself, but i don't really think he was bashing y'alls' bands for being popular. that'd be pretty contradictory with such super-obscure bands as sigur ros, REM, and radiohead on his own list, not to mention the show i talked about where they're opening for this up-and-coming indie group named the cure. i think those guys have a bright future.

go ahead and yell at him for being elitist as much as you want, but popularity and mainstream recognition have nothing to do with it.

of course cerbaho can speak for himself, but i don't really think he was bashing y'alls' bands for being popular. that'd be pretty contradictory with such super-obscure bands as sigur ros, REM, and radiohead on his own list, not to mention the show i talked about where they're opening for this up-and-coming indie group named the cure. i think those guys have a bright future.

go ahead and yell at him for being elitist as much as you want, but popularity and mainstream recognition have nothing to do with it.

Whatever the motive was the message was still clear: your bands are s***. Like I said earlier, maybe he just doesn't like the music and has heard a lot of it before (which is probably true). My beef is that this is an opinion thread where people post what they LIKE. Frankly, I find it uneccesary to bash the rest of the thread.

Granted, I may have jumped to conclusions with the whole popular music diatribe, however like I said elitism in music is something I don't really like and causes me to get a bit jumpy.

That's all, I'm not turning this thread into a flame war...I'd rather it just be about who likes what. :headbang

Alright, in no particular order:

Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Blue Oyster Cult (DUH!), AFI, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, The Who, Guns 'N Roses

I like lots of individual songs, but not so much bands. Oh well!

Alright, in no particular order:

Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Blue Oyster Cult (DUH!), AFI, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, The Who, Guns 'N Roses

I like lots of individual songs, but not so much bands.  Oh well!

The Who! :headbang

Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, Faith No More, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Avenged Sevenfold (who will be at the afforementioned Warped Tour) Posion the Well, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Coverge, Strapping Young Lad, Meshuggah, Opeth, Machine Head, God Forbid, Unearth, Shawdows Fall, The Haunted, Seemless, Glassjaw, Misery Signals, Mr. Bungle, Ocean Machine/Terria, Something Must Die (The guys wit the cool logo in my avatar), Thursday, 36 Crazyfists, Between the Buried and Me, Blood Has Been Shed...

That all I can think of off the top of my head...