music

hi8is

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hanoi Rocks, T-Rex, Robin Black And The IRS, Soho Roses, The Babysitters, The Last Of The Teenage Idols, Wrathchild, Dogs D'Amour, The Quireboys, Faces, Small Faces, Humble Pie, The Damned, Marillion, GBH, Verbal Assault, Hardcore Superstars, The Riverboat Gamblers, THEE Trash Brats, anything Brian Setzer does, Queen, Hollywood Teasze, The Waterboys, The Orphan Punks, Star Star, Cheap Trick, Rene Berg, Smack, Suzi Quatro, The Replacements, The Chamber Strings, anything Dave Kusworth does, The Flower Lepards, Tazzberry Blue, New York Dolls, Heart Throb Mob, and that is what is in my CD case right now. Obviously there are many, many, many more, but my mind isn't triggering right now...

No it's not. The style you're looking for is post-grunge, which is closely synonomous with utter crap.

Nu-metal is the fusion of rap and rock, more or less resulting in awful music.

Good lord man, you just can't let people like what they like without bashing it, can ya? I rarely get into things with people, but this is ridiculous. You know, many bands out there do NOT make music for the sake of "pushing boundaries". But rather, they join and form bands to reflect the music that they love and have enjoyed listening to. Commercial pop bands will probably gladly tell you that they grew up listening to stuff along the lines of The Outfield, Boston, Journey, etc. So that is the style they play. Are they selling out? No. Are they playing bad music? To you, yes, to them, no. Nu Metal, whilst bad to you, is a hybrid of numerous styles (Rap and NY Hardcore being major parts and elements), and many of the kids doing the stuff now grew up on either of those styles, or on other Nu Metal bands such as Korn. People do play the stuff they love, not everybody is out to be "daring" and "adventurous" in their musical tastes and performances. Nobody is killing music by making Pop or Nu Metal. The Underground will always survive, I should know, I have lived there for the past 25 years now.

Bagging on bands and people for what works for their ears is just wrong and pointless. Be glad people listen to music for crying out loud, no matter what the music is. My wife loves Hip Hop and Rap. I detest the stuff more than anything. But hey, she is enjoying music, and that is cool with me. My daughter loves stuff like Avril Lavigne, Britney, Christina, and all that stuff, and that's cool. It's music.

Attention people.  Cerb is an asshole.  Some of you are just now finding this out, the rest of us have learned to live with it.

Or maybe you're one of the only people on here who has a problem with me considering you've called me everything from an asshole to a plagiartist with no support whatsoever.

Hey Spiff, I remember a while back when you said all I did was steal from Baseball America, ever find any evidence to back that up or did you just pull that out of the sky like anything you ever level against me?

A good song that i heard tonight that i havent heard in a while.

I drink alone by George Thorgood, its hilarious

I drink alone, yeah,

with nobody else

I drink alone, yeah,

with nobody else

You know when I drink alone,

I prefer to be by myself

Every morning just before breakfast,

I don't want no coffee or tea

Just me and good buddy Wiser,

that's all I ever need

'Cause I drink alone, yeah,

with nobody else

Yeah, you know when I drink alone,

I prefer to be by myself

The other night I laid sleeping,

and I woke from a terrible dream

So I caught up my pal Jack Daniel's,

and his partner Jimmy Beam

And we drank alone, yeah,

with nobody else

I prefer to be by myself

The other day I got invited to a party,

but I stayed home instead

Just me and my pal Johnny Walker,

and his brothers Black and Red

And we drank alone, yeah,

with nobody else

I prefer to be by myself

My whole family done give up on me,

and it makes me feel oh so bad

The only one who will hang out with me,

is my dear old granddad

And we drink alone, yeah,

with nobody else

I prefer to be by myself

A good song that i heard tonight that i havent heard in a while.

I drink alone by George Thorgood, its hilarious

That's a quality song, Thorogood is a stellar guitarist. Another one I like is "One Borboun, One Scotch, and One Beer" (hmm I think I see a theme here...), he just goes off at so many different points with nasty solos.

The entire point of music is not to sell out and make money, it's about making good sounding stuff. Just about every band listed here blatantly uses reguritated s***, changes very minute chords/beats, and calls it their own. These bands are not pushing the limits of music, rather they are making the populus comfortable within a sphere of complete s***tiness. Music needs innovators, not garbage bands that have no creative thought process whatsoever.

Many of "my" bands aren't "huge" at all. Could Radiohead easily make marketable pop music and make even more money what they make now? Of course they can. But why don't they? Why didn't they stick to the form of success that made OK Computer the best album of the 90s and continue making records like that? Why instead did they dabble in IDM/Electronic-Rock with Kid A? Because it pushed outward the boundaries of music.

I find it funny that you assume I hate everything mainstream. Does R.E.M. or Radiohead, two of the biggest, most successful bands of last decade, ring any sort of bell with you? Sure, everything else is obscure, but that's because mainstream music doesn't whet my appetite. I want to hear music that is innovative, not garbage that is merely just marketed to make s***loads of money. And just because something is obscure doesn't mean I hate it. I listened to a bit of Experimental Audio Research recently and hated it. I think that a lot of "my" bands have made mistakes in song selection, releases, etc. While I do not believe "my" bands are infallible, they're miles upon miles ahead of anything listed in this thread. God forbid one wants innovation.

Am I an elitist? I prefer to be called avant-garde.

Just let people like what they like. I think Charlie Daniels steals all of his songs, that's a no-brainer. Seriously though, there are multiple points. There is a big deal when it comes to money. I could careless if people have heard of the bands. I like what I like because it is what I like. ;)

Or maybe you're one of the only people on here who has a problem with me considering you've called me everything from an asshole to a plagiartist with no support whatsoever.

Hey Spiff, I remember a while back when you said all I did was steal from Baseball America, ever find any evidence to back that up or did you just pull that out of the sky like anything you ever level against me?

Yes, right here on page 36 of the January 2004 issue, it says, "The day I go searching through magazines to please some asshole on the internet, is the day I kill myself for becoming lamer than they are."

So there you go, case closed.

Slayer-1 song-raining blood

Slipknot-1 song-duality

metallica-3 songs-unforgiven, fade to black, enter sandman

Nickelback-2 songs-someday, how you remind me

Sugar Ray-2 songs-Answer the Phone, When its over

Adema-Unstable

Korn-2 songs-ya'll want a single, right now

System of a down-3-songs-arials, toxicity, chop suey!

Frank Sinatra-Anything, the man is my idol, much like bob dylan is many people's hero.

I can list many more, but thats all for now...black sabbath, ozzy, manfred mann, godsmack, judas priest, AC/DC...you name it, all of it.

Also, for the 1 song bands I like, don't judge me on those because I can like 1 song, if i haven't heard others, because I usually download singles on reccomendations.

Anyone got a thought on any of my music?

Yes, right here on page 36 of the January 2004 issue, it says, "The day I go searching through magazines to please some asshole on the internet, is the day I kill myself for becoming lamer than they are."

So there you go, case closed.

:lolhitting Preach on. :lol:

Hanoi Rocks, T-Rex, Robin Black And The IRS, Soho Roses, The Babysitters, The Last Of The Teenage Idols, Wrathchild, Dogs D'Amour, The Quireboys, Faces, Small Faces, Humble Pie, The Damned, Marillion, GBH, Verbal Assault, Hardcore Superstars, The Riverboat Gamblers, THEE Trash Brats, anything Brian Setzer does, Queen, Hollywood Teasze, The Waterboys, The Orphan Punks, Star Star, Cheap Trick, Rene Berg, Smack, Suzi Quatro, The Replacements, The Chamber Strings, anything Dave Kusworth does, The Flower Lepards, Tazzberry Blue, New York Dolls, Heart Throb Mob, and that is what is in my CD case right now. Obviously there are many, many, many more, but my mind isn't triggering right now...

:headbang :headbang :headbang

There is so much good s*** on this list that my head is spinning!

QUALITY QUALITY STUFF!!!

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Well, anybody who knows of the bands on my list deserves a :notworthy :drink in return!

***shameless plug***

If you like the stuff keep an eye out here on this board for when I launch my "fanzine" thingy hopefully by the end of the year. The debut issue will be a Wrathchild feature covering their history, and what they are all doing now days. Each issue will pretty much concentrate on just one band at a time, with the only real area being dedicated to other bands being the album review area. Gotta push the new stuff someplace. The name of the 'zine is Sonic Ruin, and as I said I hope to have it ready by winter.

***shameless plug over***

Actual paper. I asked around to a bunch of people as to what they would prefer, and almost everybody said actual hardcopy style. Something they can take with them.

Cool ya like the name. If I ever get a band back together, it will probably also use that name. I'm so original. :unsure:

Slayer-1 song-raining blood

Slipknot-1 song-duality

metallica-3 songs-unforgiven, fade to black, enter sandman

Nickelback-2 songs-someday, how you remind me

Sugar Ray-2 songs-Answer the Phone, When its over

Adema-Unstable

Korn-2 songs-ya'll want a single, right now

System of a down-3-songs-arials, toxicity, chop suey!

Frank Sinatra-Anything, the man is my idol, much like bob dylan is many people's hero.

I can list many more, but thats all for now...black sabbath, ozzy, manfred mann, godsmack, judas priest, AC/DC...you name it, all of it.

Also, for the 1 song bands I like, don't judge me on those because I can like 1 song, if i haven't heard others, because I usually download singles on reccomendations.

Anyone got a thought on any of my music?

yeah beastly, Adema is awesome.

• 6 months later...

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I thought I'd just bump this one instead.

I got an old Joni Mitchell cd for Christmas (Blue, I think) I just got around to playing it recently--and wow, I really like it. Crazy that I'd never heard her before.

I also just got a Nat King Cole cd--that is seriously a cool and suave cd.

Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin

Jethro Tull

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Marshall Tucker Band

Joe Satriani

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Dream Theater (The only 90's + band I will even think about listening to)

Neil Young

AC/DC

Metallica

Aerosmith

Rush

Allman Brothers Band

Black Sabbath

Blue Oyster Cult

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Deep Purple

Dire Straits

Electric Light Orchestra

Genesis

REM

Van Halen

The Police

QUOTE(whitesox247 @ Jul 24, 2004 -> 05:36 PM)
yeah beastly, Adema is awesome.

God, I was so depressed in july of 2004. Football sucked and I craved to be hit at practice to feel numb. Anywho, music...

my favorite local band is tearing up the scene here in Downers Grove.

Forever in a day. Its the s***...tho its emo, they've got sum good stuff.

Godsmack is my favorite, followed by Green Day.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jan 30, 2005 -> 07:59 PM)
Godsmack is my favorite, followed by Green Day.

I don't mean this rudely at all, but Beastly, how old were you the first time Greenday was popular?

I love Green Day...my first CD when I was little was Dookie.

Postal Service (generally the techno part isnt of my likings but yea)

The Spill Canvas

Bright Eyes

Yellowcard

Linkin Park

Eve 6

Blink

^just a couple of the favorites

I generally like rock and a little bit of rap (Kanye West and Jay-Z are pretty much it)