music

hi8is

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(winodj @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
So lets be clear, you like watered down rock n roll. Not real Country and Western music.

Whatever you say. I have nothing against old school country, just not my cup of tea. "Real" is a subjective term. Country music has definitely evolved within the past 15 years, and the days of Conway Twitty are long gone. That doesn't mean that new country =/= real country.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan13 @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
Whatever you say. I have nothing against old school country, just not my cup of tea. "Real" is a subjective term.  Country music has definitely evolved within the past 15 years, and the days of Conway Twitty are long gone. That doesn't mean that new country =/= real country.

It's not meant to be an insult. I just don't think that "new country" deserves to be in the same genre as "old school c&w."

Garth Brooks has more in common with P. Diddy than Johnny Cash.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
Hey, when does Grohl's new queen of the stoneage CD come out?  I've heard a few songs and it sounds better then their last album which was great.

Lullabies to Paralyze comes out March 22nd, but Grohl isn't drumming on this album

Edited by Cali

I don't insult anyone's music tastes because mine have crystallized over the past few years.

Sort of like an alcoholic who only drank fine wines and single malt whiskies for the last five years and now things rubbing alcohol is a suitable replacement. Pretty much anything works for me these days.

QUOTE(winodj @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
I don't insult anyone's music tastes because mine have crystallized over the past few years.

Sort of like an alcoholic who only drank fine wines and single malt whiskies for the last five years and now things rubbing alcohol is a suitable replacement. Pretty much anything works for me these days.

[insert coffeetable joke here..]

QUOTE(winodj @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)

Does that mean you have many fine wines and single malt whiskeys lying around going undrunk. I could help with that problem.

i just heard Becks new cd...well, a small portion of it...and holy crap is it awesome...

also good:

the decemberists new cd.

looking forward to:

Flaming LIps cd

dissappointing:

The Mars VOlta

Trail of Dead

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
i just heard Becks new cd...well, a small portion of it...and holy crap is it awesome...

also good:

the decemberists new cd.

looking forward to:

Flaming LIps cd

dissappointing:

The Mars VOlta

Trail of Dead

I keep hearing about 'the Decemberists' and "The Go', but haven't actually listened to them. Who do they sound slike?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 22, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
will you describe please?

Armor For Sleep call themselves 'dream rock'. I'd call it an alt/indie mix with some elements of electronica and hardcore. The cd is written from the perspective of someone who just passed and is looking back down on earth. So the lyrics have an interesting spin on them.

Gym Class Heroes is a fusion of hip-hop, crisp guitar, and deep bass lines. Drumming is pretty solid. Interesting lyrics as well, dealing with everything from artistic expression, discrimination, pill addiction, and girls.

PM me if you have AIM, I could hook you up with anything from my collection.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
Picked up The new Mars Volta, 'Frances the Mute'.  Very wierd, with a lot going on.    I'll have to slowly digest it before I know if I like it........anyone else?

I can honestly say that I can't remember the last music I've liked LESS than the two songs I've heard from this disc. I had to change the station - too long, too dull, too much.

I prefer short bursts of aggressive yet melodic stuff, so I didn't think I'd like the Mars Volta - and I was right.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
I can honestly say that I can't remember the last music I've liked LESS than the two songs I've heard from this disc. I had to change the station - too long, too dull, too much.

I prefer short bursts of aggressive yet melodic stuff, so I didn't think I'd like the Mars Volta - and I was right.

I've enjoed it, but it's a tough listen for sure. When songs have 3 minutes of nothing, or a complete change of pace in the middle of them, it's difficult to stay interested.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
Picked up The new Mars Volta, 'Frances the Mute'.  Very wierd, with a lot going on.    I'll have to slowly digest it before I know if I like it........anyone else?

songs 1 and 2 = good

the rest = bad