music

hi8is

Posted a few weeks back that I had just started to listen to Sams Town, well now I'm really starting to get into Bling and For Reasons Unknown and Sams Town from that CD.

And Incubus's new album comes out this month, or has it come out already?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one thing that's always bothered me about rap artists is their complete willingness to commercialize their music. As if their songs are nothing more than a marketing campaign for themselves. Not true for all, but for quite a bit. that said the new Clipse is the shiiiittttt

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 02:29 AM)
Posted a few weeks back that I had just started to listen to Sams Town, well now I'm really starting to get into Bling and For Reasons Unknown and Sams Town from that CD.

I'm glad someone else liked it on here haha. Has anyone heard the B-sides from Hot Fuss? They're rather good IMO.

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 05:28 AM)
one thing that's always bothered me about rap artists is their complete willingness to commercialize their music. As if their songs are nothing more than a marketing campaign for themselves. Not true for all, but for quite a bit. that said the new Clipse is the shiiiittttt

i've heard mojave 3 in hummer commercials and lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven! in a dockers commercial, IIRC. mogwai in jeans commercials. every time i hear the who now i think of a product or TV show. plenty of other examples. it ain't just hip hop.

and at least common wrote a jingle, essentially, for it, rather than using one of his actual songs. if he sells "watermelon" to jolly ranchers or some s*** i might just off myself.

QUOTE(False Alarm @ Nov 18, 2006 -> 08:43 PM)
i've heard mojave 3 in hummer commercials and lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven! in a dockers commercial, IIRC. mogwai in jeans commercials. every time i hear the who now i think of a product or TV show. plenty of other examples. it ain't just hip hop.

and at least common wrote a jingle, essentially, for it, rather than using one of his actual songs. if he sells "watermelon" to jolly ranchers or some s*** i might just off myself.

i don't think i have to point out that there is a difference between being a spokesperson and selling your songs. Plus considering when independent artists decline their use of songs, the companies just hire people to do songs just like it, so they take the money now anyways.

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 18, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
i don't think i have to point out that there is a difference between being a spokesperson and selling your songs. Plus considering when independent artists decline their use of songs, the companies just hire people to do songs just like it, so they take the money now anyways.

A lot of songs are used illegally as well. Generally a small band can't afford to do anything about it. I know The O.C. used a Kings of Convenience song without permission. They were extremely pissed off about it but couldn't do a damn thing. That said, I think it's a different case with commercials, as they are going to be played over and over. I don't have much of a problem with it, though it did suck hearing Sam Beam's voice over an M&M's commercial.

But I do agree that rap artists "whore" themselves out. I don't think we'll be seeing Will Sheff hosting a reality TV show any time soon.

And bmags, I wanted to ask, have you heard the Julie Doiron-Okkervil River split?

QUOTE(False Alarm @ Nov 18, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)

I'm pretty sure you mean Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven is an LP name under GY!BE

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 18, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)

i guess i don't really know what you're sayin. you said it bothers you that hip-hop artists commercialize their music. i pointed out that a buncha other kindsa musicians commercialize their music. you said that was OK cuz companies hire people to mimic em. why you give them a pass and not hip hop?

as for the spokesman thing, seems to me that in being a big bad spokesman common's commercializing his image, more than his music. (he's arguably maintaining the integrity of his regular work by not using any of those songs.) you sayin you'd rather have artists sell their songs, basically? if i gotta choose, i'd rather have em sell their image; the music's more important to me.

i dunno man. just seems like hip hop gets such a bad, ahem, rap on this board for no reason sometimes. and i know you like some stuff, but still.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 04:13 AM)
A lot of songs are used illegally as well. Generally a small band can't afford to do anything about it. I know The O.C. used a Kings of Convenience song without permission. They were extremely pissed off about it but couldn't do a damn thing. That said, I think it's a different case with commercials, as they are going to be played over and over. I don't have much of a problem with it, though it did suck hearing Sam Beam's voice over an M&M's commercial.

But I do agree that rap artists "whore" themselves out. I don't think we'll be seeing Will Sheff hosting a reality TV show any time soon.

And bmags, I wanted to ask, have you heard the Julie Doiron-Okkervil River split?

I'm pretty sure you mean Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven is an LP name under GY!BE

no! explain more...is this a this year thing, i've heard nothing about it. / do you know who released it?

I'm going to kid koala on wed. at abbey pub, i'm pretty psyched

And FA, i'm saying there is a large difference between lending a commercial you're song. ANd being a spokesperson in their ad campaign. He may not use his original music, but to create a jingle and put your face out for a company, essentially forcing people to associate yourself and your music to a corporation, is just ick to me. I hate when bands sell their songs to commercials, but it is hard for me to argue when isaac brock says "if i have to choose between paying my rent or selling a song, i'll sell the song". I've never been as poor as these guys are, touring nonstop and making albums that never recoup. And i'm saying that times, such as when cocacola used a tom waits imitator for a song when waits refused, I can understand figuring you might as well sell your song when they are just gonna use a song just like it, and have people relate that song to you anyways. However, when people see gap jeans now, they are gonna think common, and when they think common, they'll think gap jeans. I just think that kills any artistic integrity he could hope to have. Add that to

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)
no! explain more...is this a this year thing, i've heard nothing about it. / do you know who released it?

I'm going to kid koala on wed. at abbey pub, i'm pretty psyched

It's from 2003, released by Acuarela.

The tracklisting is such (Okkervil River songs in bold):

01) The Sweetest Eyes (When You Laugh)

02) Snowfalls in November

03) The Songwriter

04) The Wrong Guy

05) Cancel the Party

06) He Passes Number Thirty-Three

07) Omie Wise

08) A Leaf

09) Blackest Coat

10) The Sweetest Eyes

I'm not really sure why they did a split. My best guess would be for promotional reasons. Or that neither had enough material or pull to get it out on their own.

The Okkervil River songs are pretty decent.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 04:13 AM)

i mean lift your skinny fists--the name of the first movement of the first song on the LP of the same title--was used in the dockers commercial. didn't mean to give the impression i didn't know who did the song.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
My wife picked up the Ali and AJ Christmas CD for my daughter today.

Life is swell. :huh:

My daughter loves them.

She has also asked for the Jesse McCartney and Hannah Montana (aka Mylie Cyrus, Billy Ray's kid), and "High School Musical" CDs for Christmas.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
My daughter loves them.

She has also asked for the Jesse McCartney and Hannah Montana (aka Mylie Cyrus, Billy Ray's kid), and "High School Musical" CDs for Christmas.

Same here, except for the Devil Child named "Jesse McCartney". I can't stand that guy.

Really, the Ali and Aj isn't too bad. I can deal with it to a degree. But it's so sad to see them "playing" guitar in all of their videos, and the first thing I ever saw on them was them going on and on about how much they love their guitars. Then you open up the booklet...and lo and behold...they don't play a single note on the CD!!!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
My daughter loves them.

love High School Musical - any plans to see it live?

QUOTE(shipps @ Nov 20, 2006 -> 04:33 AM)
Im very surprised how much i like +44 cd.I always thought Delonge made blink what it was,but the songwriting on +44 is much better than A&A.

totally agree. and I like Hoppus' voice better.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 05:22 PM)
love High School Musical - any plans to see it live?

I don't know - she hasn't asked to see any concerts or shows yet, but then again, she's only 6!

:D

Six going on 16, it feels like most of the time....

She has talked about wanting to see the Cheetah Girls today, actually, so I have a feeling I have a few years of arguments about concerts coming up. (I don't want her going to shows for a few more years yet - she's too young for that, in my opinion.)

OK, I'm feeling kind of "fatherly", so I'll add this tidbit about a band from MY youth:

According to Billy Milano, Joey Belladonna has left the failed Anthrax reunion.

Edited by The Critic