music

hi8is

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Material Issue was just such a great band!!!

Soxy inadverdently mentioned the name of a babd i used to see back in the college days and I got to thinking about a number of the bands i used to enjoy live.

Material Issue was a huge favorite. It's funny that i never really thought of them in terms of being a Chicago band because I only ever saw tham when they would do Mabels shows in Champaign. IPO didn't even come out until two years after I graduated, but even back in 1987-1989 you knew what a great power pop band was when you saw them. I was so far removed from it in 1996 when Jim Elliot killed himself that I only noted it in passing. But damn, now it's hitting me what a tragedy it was. :crying

So, I've been spinning my copy of IPO the last couple days and I found their other 3 CDs used online and hopefully the show up today and I'll be in happy power pop heaven for a week.

Anybody else here get a chance to see these guys while they were still at it? Thoughts?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 11:43 AM)

Soxy inadverdently mentioned the name of a babd i used to see back in the college days and I got to thinking about a number of the bands i used to enjoy live.

Material Issue was a huge favorite. It's funny that i never really thought of them in terms of being a Chicago band because I only ever saw tham when they would do Mabels shows in Champaign. IPO didn't even come out until two years after I graduated, but even back in 1987-1989 you knew what a great power pop band was when you saw them. I was so far removed from it in 1996 when Jim Elliot killed himself that I only noted it in passing. But damn, now it's hitting me what a tragedy it was. :crying

So, I've been spinning my copy of IPO the last couple days and I found their other 3 CDs used online and hopefully the show up today and I'll be in happy power pop heaven for a week.

Anybody else here get a chance to see these guys while they were still at it? Thoughts?

They were O.K. I've tried getting into them in the past, but they always fall short for me. Their best song, IMO, is the same one most people hate: "What Girls Want".

That being said, his suicide was a huge shame.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
How could there be a Dr Hook greatest hits CD without "The Cover of the Rolling Stone?"

Its sacreligious I tell you. :angry:

maybe it's a label contractual thing as, technically. Rolling Stone was by Dr. Hook And The Medicine Show. I dunno, but I agree it should be there, if only to remind me of my freaky little lady name of Cocaine Katie. :D

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
maybe it's a label contractual thing as, technically. Rolling Stone was by Dr. Hook And The Medicine Show. I dunno, but I agree it should be there, if only to remind me of my freaky little lady name of Cocaine Katie. :D

Ah, now that would make some sense. :bang

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
They were O.K. I've tried getting into them in the past, but they always fall short for me. Their best song, IMO, is the same one most people hate: "What Girls Want".

That being said, his suicide was a huge shame.

I like that one, but i like them all. Diane was my favorite off IPO, but it all sounds good to me.

I guess the power pop does it for me where the glam does it more for you. Similarly, maybe that's why as you've got me back into some of the Faces stuff I think I've come to the concliusion that I still like the Steve Marriot Small Faces stuff more. Good stuff all though.

Oh, make no mistake about it, I'm torn 99% of the time as to who was better, Small Faces or Faces. It was those three guys: Jones, MacLagan, and especially Lane that made those two bands work, it was just the final piece(s) that added the final shine to them. I always say Faces was the greatest RnR band ever, but that is more because Small Faces were R&B more than anything else. Steve Marriott was one of the greatest voice ever (in Small Faces days, Humble Pie was great, but he was too "forced").

I love Pop when done right. My problem with Material is that no matter what, they did sound like a "Chicago" band. I don't know what it is, but IMO there is a certain sound to most bands that come out of Chicago. IMO Chicago is one of the worst music scenes in the entire world. I have finally, FINALLY found two Chicago bands I think are good: The Last Vegas and Calling All Destroyers

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 2, 2007 -> 09:43 AM)

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. I had a copy of IPO/Destination Universe on a copied cassette tape that spent many years in my car as the only tape in there. Subsequently, Destination Universe has been burned into my brain and I think is a huge influence on my own music. Also, as a filmmaker, I think there's a movie somewhere waiting to be done about their history and Jim's untimely passing.

"I want love, I want drugs, I want sex and affection, I want everyone in this room to look in my direction, I want a man with lips just like Mick Jagger, Rod Stewart's hair, and Keith Richards' stagger. That's what girls want."

Edited by longshot7

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 07:26 AM)
So, after seeing the commercials last night, it appears that The Police getting back together is almost as big an event as the Super-Bowl. I was kind of amazed at how many commercials there were.

I'm looking forward to the Police reunion, and I'd absolutely go if they come to Chicago.

Now the Van Halen debacle......I'll pass on that one for sure.

Oh, and my favorite Material Issue songs were "Valerie Loves Me" as done by Land Of The El Caminos, and "Diane" as done by Muchacha on the "Just What This World Needs" tribute disc.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
I'm looking forward to the Police reunion, and I'd absolutely go if they come to Chicago.

Now the Van Halen debacle......I'll pass on that one for sure.

Oh, and my favorite Material Issue songs were "Valerie Loves Me" as done by Land Of The El Caminos, and "Diane" as done by Muchacha on the "Just What This World Needs" tribute disc.

Oooh, listening to a couple samples off of that here I realize I need that disc!! The cover of Trouble should have been by Johnny Cash though, that song always sounded like a perfedt Johhny Cash homage to me.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 07:26 AM)
So, after seeing the commercials last night, it appears that The Police getting back together is almost as big an event as the Super-Bowl. I was kind of amazed at how many commercials there were.

The Police? Hello, tap, tap, is this thing on?

Coachella headliners:

Friday, Bjork

Saturday, Silly Peppers

Sunday, Rage Against The Machine.

I don't really want to spend 3 full days there, nor do I want to shell out that kind of cash for a weekend pass. I really want to see Rage, so I figured I'd just buy a ticket for Sunday.

Get this, you can purchase a ticket for just Friday, or a ticket for just Saturday, but you CANNOT purchase a Sunday ticket by itself, if you wnat to go on Sunday, you MUST buy the 3 day pass. Seems to me that the promoters realize that Bjork and the Peppers will be a weak draw and that everyone wants to see Rage. Great marketing, but it sux for some fans.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)

Coachella headliners:

Friday, Bjork

Saturday, Silly Peppers

I don't really want to spend 3 full days there, nor do I want to shell out that kind of cash for a weekend pass. I really want to see Rage, so I figured I'd just buy a ticket for Sunday.

Get this, you can purchase a ticket for just Friday, or a ticket for just Saturday, but you CANNOT purchase a Sunday ticket by itself, if you wnat to go on Sunday, you MUST buy the 3 day pass. Seems to me that the promoters realize that Bjork and the Peppers will be a weak draw and that everyone wants to see Rage. Great marketing, but it sux for some fans.

That does suck - sorry to hear that for you, but I have no interest in seeing any of those three headliners anyway. Never liked RATM at all.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
That does suck - sorry to hear that for you, but I have no interest in seeing any of those three headliners anyway. Never liked RATM at all.

RATM is the only band who did the whole rap/rock thing right. They had something to say and Tom Morello did some really creative things with his guitar.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 01:14 PM)
RATM is the only band who did the whole rap/rock thing right. They had something to say and Tom Morello did some really creative things with his guitar.

I totally get why their fans like them, they just never hooked me at all.

QUOTE(shipps @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 05:52 AM)
Just heard the new Bloc Party.Very dissappointing after having some good expectations cause I loved the last album.But I guess you shouldnt expect much from a band that sounds like crap live.

I liked it, and I like their live recordings, so I'm going to see them in Chicago when I'm on spring break.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)

Coachella headliners:

Friday, Bjork

Saturday, Silly Peppers

I would love to see Bjork and The Swans co-headline a tour.

QUOTE(shipps @ Feb 5, 2007 -> 05:52 AM)
Just heard the new Bloc Party.Very dissappointing after having some good expectations cause I loved the last album.But I guess you shouldnt expect much from a band that sounds like crap live.

I haven't heard the new record, but that last album is very tough to top. It's one of the few records I can listen to from beginning to end, no filler.