Benson to Twins??????

If the Twins do get him, i hope they give up a ton of talent.  <_>

Rumor has it the Pirates want Justin Morneau who the Twins have said is untouchable. The Pirates would also like Jacque Jones who the Twins have been quietly shopping. Other names mentioned have been Michael Cuddyear and Michael Restovich.

benson is overrated, imo. he's pitched well lately, although i could see him getting lit up in the al.

he has a really hot wife, though.

Agree, agree and agree. Especially on the last point. I wouldn't jump off any bridges if the Twins get Benson. He's been very inconsistent throughout his career and doesn't seem to have the necessary edge or killer instinct to be a mound ace.

Rumor has it the Pirates want Justin Morneau who the Twins have said is untouchable.  The Pirates would also like Jacque Jones who the Twins have been quietly shopping.  Other names mentioned have been Michael Cuddyear and Michael Restovich.

I could see Jones and Cuddyer being the package for Benson. Jones is a solid bat, but is replaceable, and Cuddyer could be a 15-20 homer guy some day, but what I would guess teams really like is his versatility...can play LF and RF, 1B, 3B, and 2B...gotta like that.

I could see Jones and Cuddyer being the package for Benson.  Jones is a solid bat, but is replaceable, and Cuddyer could be a 15-20 homer guy some day, but what I would guess teams really like is his versatility...can play LF and RF, 1B, 3B, and 2B...gotta like that.

Jones K's too much and misreads the ball a lot in the OF even though his speed makes up for it but its gonna get to him. No thanks.

Jones K's too much and misreads the ball a lot in the OF even though his speed makes up for it but its gonna get to him. No thanks.

I've never said I wanted Jones. I do think he strikes out too much(remembering what he did in 2002 in the playoffs specifically...I don't know how many times I saw him swing at pitches in his eyes, but I saw him do it several times...the playoffs is not the time to strike out 2 times a game).

I wouldn't mind picking him up in FA if that ever happened, but that is an entirely different story.

BTW, you do not mention the positives, which do outnumber the negatives...due to his good speed, he steals bases, does not ground into a ton of DPs, and gets down the line quickly. He busts his ass all the time. He has some very good power, and he is very clutch(maybe not this year, I haven't checked, but he tends to hit a few walk-off and game-tying homers. In fact, I recall last year he was the one that helped the Twins avoid a sweep at home by us...damn you Billy Koch :angry: ). He doesn't have much patience at the plate, which is a definite negative. He also has a strong arm

Benson's era in the AL will be over 5.

He won't make the difference in the division.

I don't think it will be that high.

Benson is head and shoulders better than Lohse, Silva or Greisinger.

On top of that, they add a 1B who can hit for power.

It ain't going to be a fun couple months, I'm feeling.

Already posted in the Lidle thread my thoughts on Benson.

He projects to be a 4.25 (low end) to +5 era pitcher in the AL. When you look at opponents BA against, its clear that he uses the lower half of the NL line up to get through the game. Not to mention after 75 pitches, the BA against dramatically increases.

End result, hell probably burn out the pen, and if Morn(eau) slumps, they are going to be really sad they lost their veteran first baseman.

SB

Here are some interesting stats on Benson from ESPN.com. There are his last 3 year splits:

AB AVG OPS

Batting #1 129. 256. 614

Batting #2 124 .331 .865

Batting #3 113 .372 1.102

Batting #4 102 .304 .951

Batting #5 106 .274 .781

Batting #6 102 .353 .960

Batting #7 96 . 292 .825

Batting #8 88 .182 .632

Batting #9 86 .267 .624

Also, I found it interesting to see his performance (or lack there of) in domes:

13.1 IP, 0-3 record, 17.55 ERA, 0.485 OPP's BA

Here's hoping the Twins give up a lot to get this guy!

Here are some interesting stats on Benson from ESPN.com.  There are his last 3 year splits:     

AB AVG OPS

Batting #1 129. 256. 614

Batting #2 124 .331 .865

Batting #3 113 .372 1.102

Batting #4 102 .304 .951

Batting #5 106 .274 .781

Batting #6 102 .353 .960

Batting #7 96 . 292  .825

Batting #8 88  .182  .632

Batting #9 86  .267  .624

Also, I found it interesting to see his performance (or lack there of) in domes:

13.1 IP, 0-3 record, 17.55 ERA, 0.485 OPP's BA

Here's hoping the Twins give up a lot to get this guy!

Holy crap, the pitchers slot is hitting .267 against him???