Ordonez Placed on the DL; Borchard Recalled

danman31

Borchard Back with White Sox

Borchard back in bigs after Maggs injury

By Danny Santaromita

Joe Borchard is back for another stint with the Chicago White Sox. The 25 year-old outfielder will replace Magglio Ordonez on the White Sox roster. Ordonez is going back on the DL after reaggravating an injury in his left knee.

Borchard was batting .267 with 16 HRs and 48 RBI with the AAA Charlotte Knights before getting called up July 9th to replace Frank Thomas in the White Sox lineup. The 2000 first-round pick of the White Sox went 3-19 with 2 runs in 6 games during his time in Chicago. The Carl Everett trade forced Borchard back to Charlotte.

Since getting sent back to the Knights Borchard has gone 3-13 (.231) with 4 walks and 4 runs in 4 games. Borchard will likely be playing rightfield as he did earlier with the White Sox. The former Stanford outfielder has played parts of the last 3 seasons with the White Sox batting .192 with 3 HRs and 10 RBI.

Ordonez Placed on the Disabled List; Borchard Recalled

By Jason Gage

July 23, 2004

FutureSox.com

The Chicago White Sox placed star rightfielder Magglio Ordonez back on the 15 day disabled list. The news comes a day after Ordonez was scratched from the lineup in Cleveland and flown back to Chicago. The original discussions about Ordonez flight home were that it was a precautionary move, but that has since changed.

The exact diagnosis is bone marrow edema, which deals with fluid in the bone marrow of his left knee. Ordonez is expected to miss four to eight weeks. He will be re-elvaluated in four weeks to see if he can begin rehabilitation program. Until then, Ordonez will be on crutches and will be limited to swimming. This news increases the possibility for a trade. In July the Sox offense has already been dreadful, and was hitting worse in the major leagues on the month.

Joe Borchard is being recalled from Charlotte to replace Ordonez. Borchard will likely be the everyday right fielder unless a trade is made. This is the second straight time Borchard's promotion comes at the barring of bad news. A few weeks ago Borchard was promoted to Chicago because slugger Frank Thomas was placed on the disabled list.

First baseman/Designated Hitter Carlos Delgado is the type of bat the Sox could use and he listed the Sox along with the Dodgers as the two teams he'd accept a trade to. This move is unlikely though, as the Sox probably don't have the chips in place. However, Carlos Beltran could be another high profile possibility. Beltran plays centerfield and is also a free agent at the end of the year (like Magglio). However, the Astros appear to be staying in the race, hoping they can win the wild card.

The best thing that could result of this injury is the emergence of Joe Borchard. Borchard has long had the tools to become a good player and now he's being forced into a tough position, but if he could produce, the White Sox could find themselves in a good situation, especially when and if Magglio and Frank Thomas come off the disabled list.

Borchard hit .158 in six games with the Sox earlier this month. He was hitting .266 with 16 homers and 48 RBI with Charlotte (AAA). However, Borchard did look much more comfortable at the plate in his most recent call-up, which could be a good sign.

No harm in having two, lol. Ours have some different info. That or we could combine em? I don'thave a problem with two of them up, though, cause in my article, I do a lot of speculating, while yours is more a straight up news story, so their is really no harm in having two.

No harm in having two, lol.  Ours have some different info.  That or we could combine em?  I don'thave a problem with two of them up, though, cause in my article, I do a lot of speculating, while yours is more a straight up news story, so their is really no harm in having two.

Fine but this is the last time I do an article like this without you telling me to. It sucks doing work and then being one up'ed by your speculation article.

Fine but this is the last time I do an article like this without you telling me too. It sucks doing work and then being one up'ed by your speculation article.

Haha, you know I appreciate it. Your piece will be the one heavily read because it was up first so its on google news pretty high. FS, along with WSC broke the news (story wise) before the trib, so it could result in a good amount of hits.

You tell me, if you want, we can combine the piece, cause yours has your typical bad ass stats. Yours basically talks about Borchard, mine talks heavily about Ordonez and its effect on the Sox, so it may not be a bad combination.

You tell me, if you want, we can combine the piece, cause yours has your typical bad ass stats.  Yours basically talks about Borchard, mine talks heavily about Ordonez and its effect on the Sox, so it may not be a  bad combination.

It's entirely up to you.

Damn this is bad news. It sounds like its a very real possibility maggs and frank both may be gone for the year. KW might have to make a move. It may create a problem when/if they come back, but lets worry about that then. On the other hand, its another opportunity for borchard. Hopefully he sticks this time.

Im glad some one else saw that Borchard was starting to look more comfortable at the plate. I think that in this call up, he could start to move his batting average up a bit.

Also, it will give us a chance to see what life with out Maggs might be like next year, and plan accordingly.

SB

Hey Jason the line is hitting worst in the league, not worse in the league...

:lolhitting It's grammar like that that shows up often in his articles. And to think he got the best grade in his writing class. Shows the quality education Jason is getting at Fullerton. :lol:

He rushed himself.  He told the team he was ready, and he told Ozzie he was ready to play RF.  This is all on Maggs.

but couldn't you have said that when the ozzie and kenny mention "where is mags" was a way of rushing him????

will this help us re-sign maggs since the injury may possibly concern other teams about his future?

That's what I've been thinking. It might drop his value and could drop him into what the Sox are willing to pay. However if Maggs doesn't want to sign with us and that's why he's been turning down our offers I have a hard time we will have a shot anyway.

I gotta think we'll be able to resign Maggs now. I thought there was very little chance he would get his $15 mil for 5 years before, now I'm not sure anyone will even offer him a 5 year deal.

Nothing has said that Maggs or Frank are out for the year. Even assuming they both hit the top of their estimated time frames, they'll be back sometime around Sept 20th, which would give them 2 weeks to get back in stride before the playoffs. I'm hoping we don't do something rash like give up a ton to get Finley or Delgado. I'd really like to see Kendall, but if we can't do that I want a decent cheap guy that won't neccesarily command a starting spot when the guys come back, someone like Cattalanato, otherwise we'd have to bench some guys when our people get back(probably Everett and the new guy :puke ). I'd also strongly consider bolstering our staff if we can get a stud like Johnson, Pavano or Penny(if the Marlins falter), or a bullpen guy like Mota. We'd be more prepared to absorb a drop in runs if we made a serious upgrade to our staff.