Otis update from WSI

Rowand44

I think his contract is up at the end of this year. Maybe they get a prospect or an established player for someone they will lose anyway? It does seem odd that Toronto wouldn't want to keep him around, although he really can't field at all. I would love to see Hairston on the Sox. I don't trust Otis.

Your right his contract is up at the end of the year, so that is the reason they want to trade him.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I hear, he's got a slight injury. Plus.. the guy is making next to nothing, correct..? Why on earth would they want to get rid of him? Makes no sense..

He's a FA next year and Toronto will not keep him. Probably looking at getting $4M next year so if they can get a few mid-level prospects for basically nothing, they'll probably do it.

I started a thread a couple days ago saying how the Sox need to go after Brian Roberts or Jerry Hairston Jr.

I also said that they should try and get Baltimore to throw a reliever in too.

I could see this deal happening.

CWSOX45

I started a thread a couple days ago saying how the Sox need to go after Brian Roberts or Jerry Hairston Jr.

CWSOX45

Your avatar is one UGLY dude.... :P

CWSOX45

Well.. we don't want BJ Ryan which is probably who they would want to pawn off on us. He's not good for the clubhouse.

The reliever comment is interesting, I think Baltimore is trying to deal Julio because of the emergence of B.J. Ryan(please don't butcher me on validity or statistical backing, I just heard it somewhere). I love the Catalanatto idea, and it has been raised many times. I would think if they got two decent major league prospects they would do it. Maybe Munoz/Diaz and some other guy. As long as it doesn't involve Anderson or Sweeney I'd be all for it.

Well.. we don't want BJ Ryan which is probably who they would want to pawn off on us. He's not good for the clubhouse.

Steff, I've also heard this.

I don't know if it will be a problem with Ozzie as a manager or not, should be interesting how things play out.

CWSOX45

Steff, I've also heard this.

I don't know if it will be a problem with Ozzie as a manager or not, should be interesting how things play out.

CWSOX45

He's got a HUGE attitude. Plus, he didn't have kind words to say about Chicago when I saw him earlier in the year.

Interesting factoid.. Albert's dad was his little league coach. So he learned from the "best" on how to play well with others. :lol:

He's got a HUGE attitude. Plus, he didn't have kind words to say about Chicago when I saw him earlier in the year.

Interesting factoid.. Albert's dad was his little league coach. So he learned from the "best" on how to play well with others.  :lol:

You know way too much about the Baltimore Orioles :bang

I like both of these ideas, probably Hairston a bit more (base stealing threat, younger). BTW - forgive my stupidity, I thought Hairston was a secondbaseman. But, between here and WSI, I hear about him playing RF? Is he like a super-utility guy, who can play basically anywhere, or what are his specific positions?

But I'm still with Rex - go after Jason Kendall. Take on the ugly contract - at the end of the year, if Giambi is still suffering from the parasite, trade Konerko to New York for that one catcher they have, Navarro, and a major leaguer (I dunno who, maybe A-Rod ).

Kendall would make our lineup, just so much better, but as the trade deadline comes closer, my hope dwindles.

I like both of these ideas, probably Hairston a bit more (base stealing threat, younger).  BTW - forgive my stupidity, I thought Hairston was a secondbaseman.  But, between here and WSI, I hear about him playing RF?  Is he like a super-utility guy, who can play basically anywhere, or what are his specific positions?

But I'm still with Rex - go after Jason Kendall.  Take on the ugly contract - at the end of the year, if Giambi is still suffering from the parasite, trade Konerko to New York for that one catcher they  have, Navarro, and a major leaguer (I dunno who, maybe A-Rod ).

Kendall would make our lineup, just so much better, but as the trade deadline comes closer, my hope dwindles.

Hairston was hurt at the beginning of the year. Brian Roberts took the 2B role and never looked back. Jay Gibbons got hurt (their RF), and Hairston ended up in RF and seems to be doing a good job. Seem two web gems on him too.

I'd bet there will be lots of movement even after Saturday.

Lots of guys will go through waivers for one reason or another and more teams will decide they're out of contention. So even though this July 31 deadline may seem hard and fast, things can still get done and likely will.

I'd bet there will be lots of movement even after Saturday.

Lots of guys will go through waivers for one reason or another and more teams will decide they're out of contention.  So even though this July 31 deadline may seem hard and fast, things can still get done and likely will.

Yeah, good point Jim - I actually think Kenny will make a move or two during the waiver-deadline period. Hell, we might see nothing before Saturday, and then two or more trades after Saturday.

Hairston was moved to right field this year because Brian Roberts is playing 2nd base. Right now I wouldn't write off the Sox acquiring two guys for the top of the order.

If they acquired Roberts, he would play 2nd base, while Catalanato would play RF. This gives the Sox a rejuvanated 1-2 in the lineup.

I don't think Hairston would cost too much cause he's owed some money. Maybe someone like Ruddy Yan and another mid-level guy. Cat may be a little more expensive, trade wise, but it could still be done without givnig up one of the top guys...obviously.

The question is will Harris or Uribe be part of either deal, cause I could see Toronto taking one or the other. I still like Harris, so I think it would be great to have him and Hairston together.

New lineup

Hairston

Catalanato

Lee

Everett

Konerko

Jose

Arow

Crede

Burke

I would love to have those 2 guys in the sox uniform. We need players that gets on base most of the time so we wont lead the MLB in solo HR's. When Uribe and Harris was always on base, we were winning games. Dont know if these two can turn it up and hit like they did most of the first half.