the future of the white sox

thedoctor

what do you guys see happening?

i would not be surprised to see a major roster overhaul. given some of his quotes during the year, i have a feeling that this isn't ozzie's kind of team in terms of roster composition.

do you think kw would get shown the door?

who stays, who goes?

I think that we do need some changes. We've had the same core for a few years now and it hasn't worked.

I think the obvious goners are:

Jackson

Loaiza

Schoeneweis

Sandy Alomar Jr.

I think the possible goners are:

Valentin

Maggs (depending on health and contract)

Wunsch?

Gload?

I think Diaz and Alvarez get called up. I think kw looks for a SS that can lead-off. He also looks for a good defensive corner outfielder that has a high OBP and for a catcher.

i'm not trying to stir anyone's pot.

i've said it before and i'll say it again here: i think the white sox are going to win the division and probably make a nice run in the playoffs. i'm not suggesting otherwise regardless of the recent s***ty play.

but i care about the sox future and present and wondered what anyone else thought. i guess i'm sorry i asked. didn't know i'd piss people off.

i'm not trying to stir anyone's pot.

i've said it before and i'll say it again here: i think the white sox are going to win the division and probably make a nice run in the playoffs.  i'm not suggesting otherwise regardless of the recent s***ty play.

but i care about the sox future and present and wondered what anyone else thought. i guess i'm sorry i asked. didn't know i'd piss people off.

Don't worry about it. Like I said everyone is edgy. Long losing streaks do that to people :)

i agree with what you said earlier about the core of this team taking a hit. i was in favor of trying to break it up in the offseason and trying something different and if we go into another year without the playoffs, then you have to think guys will go.

my guess is that either carlos or paulie will go. they will have the biggest trade value.

loaiza will be gone, no question, same with schoeneweis.

a lot depends on frank and maggs as well and their futures.

if we don't make the playoffs, the everett deal looks really bad because we'll be stuck with him next year at an inflated rate.

Myself one of the only bats out there I can see that would help right away would be Beltran. Put him in CF and move Rowand to RF. Pay whatever price you have to. Beltran would make all the difference offensively and defensively for this team. JMO

i'd like that. the only problem is that beltran's agent is that prick boras so i could see them demanding some ridiculous contract.

another thing: since attendance has been good this year so far, does anyone think we'll have to hear "reduced payroll" this offseason?

i'd like that. the only problem is that beltran's agent is that prick boros so i could see them demanding some ridiculous contract.

You can count on BorASS asking insane amount of money for Beltran. I would highly doubt the Sox would or could resign him next season. He would be the only impact player the Sox have a chance to get that would truely help this year though.

he's got a cheap buy out, though.  500k, I think.

i thought he could opt out after this year, but the sox can't opt out until after next year.

i can't see him opting out unless he really gets hot here sometime soon.

My vote is we don't see a ton of changes. If Frank and Maggs did not get hurt, this team is in great shape. With Garcia and Buehrle back in the rotation and Lee, Konerko, Thomas, and Rowand back in the lineup we have most of our key players locked up, with the only major free agents being Loaiza(gone if he asks for too much), Valentin(probably back), and Maggs(almost has to be back after this injury) IIRC. My guess is we see a mid level starter come in to replace Esteban if his price goes to high and another arm in the pen. Maybe if the brass think we saved enough money by letting Esteban go and from Maggs' injury we see a run at a top starter. I highly doubt we go after Beltran, his contract demands are basically going to put him in a Yankees jersey. I'm not sure how many of these guys we can unload without a trade. I think guys like Schoeneweis and Davis are locked up. I agree with the previous post that we should dump these guys with Jackson, but if they are signed for next year we're pretty much stuck with them.

to club seats if I could afford it, but otherewise will keep my wonderful upper deck seats

Lower deck seats are better, IMO. I'm a former club level season ticket holder...I got tired of not being able to be an 'ass' real fast.

My vote is we don't see a ton of  changes. If Frank and Maggs did not get hurt, this team is in great shape. With Garcia and Buehrle back in the rotation and Lee, Konerko, Thomas, and Rowand back in the lineup we have most of our key players locked up, with the only major free agents being Loaiza(gone if he asks for too much), Valentin(probably back), and Maggs(almost has to be back after this injury) IIRC. My guess is we see a mid level starter come in to replace Esteban if his price goes to high and another arm in the pen. Maybe if the brass think we saved enough money by letting Esteban go and from Maggs' injury we see a run at a top starter. I highly doubt we go after Beltran, his contract demands are basically going to put him in a Yankees jersey. I'm not sure how many of these guys we can unload without a trade. I think guys like Schoeneweis and Davis are locked up. I agree with the previous post that we should dump these guys with Jackson, but if they are signed for next year we're pretty much stuck with them.

Schoeneweis's contract is up, I believe after this season.

I think we see Jose resigned, whether you guys want to or not...he'd probably come relatively cheap, and as of right now, we do not really have an option of someone we can put out there and have him produce on a consistent basis.

Also, if Politte is not resigned, I see us bringing in another cheap reliever or two like that. I see Jackson gone, Scho gone, and potentially ELo gone. I think Elo is gone if he asks for more then $5 mill a year, and one starter is brought in via trade or FA...with several starters(off the top of my head, I can come up with Lowe, Pedro, Lieber, Radke, Pavano, Russ Ortiz, Millwood, Morris, Clement, Benson, Wilson, Lidle, and there are probably others I'm missing as well) becoming available in FA, I do see us picking up atleast one of them.

I foresee Garcia, Buehrle, Garland, and Diaz for sure being in the rotation next year, and perhaps Elo, perhaps someone brought in via trade, or someone that was mentioned above(or maybe even Cotts).

Marte and Shingo will be in the pen for sure, and I think Adkins is in there as well...other then that, I'm not sure.

Personally, I do not like people saying Maggs is gone for sure...there is a good chance he is gone, but, with his injury, he will not get $14 mill a year. $10 mill a year is likely, but I'm not sure he accepts that. I think the Sox come in with a very incentive-laden contract, that guarantees about $50 mill over 5 years, and has the possibility to balloon to $70-75 mill if he reaches most incentives.

I also think there is a major trade too...I think one of Konerko and Lee is dealt...which one, I'm not sure of, but I do think one is gone.

As of right now, it's kind of hard to say what happens...we're not even past the trading deadline. But I think I may some reasonable guesses...or atleast I hope I did.

I think we see Jose resigned, whether you guys want to or not...he'd probably come relatively cheap, and as of right now, we do not really have an option of someone we can put out there and have him produce on a consistent basis.

Also, if Politte is not resigned, I see us bringing in another cheap reliever or two like that.  I see Jackson gone, Scho gone, and potentially ELo gone.  I think Elo is gone if he asks for more then $5 mill a year, and one starter is brought in via trade or FA...with several starters(off the top of my head, I can come up with Lowe, Pedro, Lieber, Radke, Pavano, Russ Ortiz, Millwood, Morris, Clement, Benson, Wilson, Lidle, and there are probably others I'm missing as well) becoming available in FA, I do see us picking up atleast one of them. 

I foresee Garcia, Buehrle, Garland, and Diaz for sure being in the rotation next year, and perhaps Elo, perhaps someone brought in via trade, or someone that was mentioned above(or maybe even Cotts).

Marte and Shingo will be in the pen for sure, and I think Adkins is in there as well...other then that, I'm not sure.

Personally, I do not like people saying Maggs is gone for sure...there is a good chance he is gone, but, with his injury, he will not get $14 mill a year.  $10 mill a year is likely, but I'm not sure he accepts that.  I think the Sox come in with a very incentive-laden contract, that guarantees about $50 mill over 5 years, and has the possibility to balloon to $70-75 mill if he reaches most incentives.

I also think there is a major trade too...I think one of Konerko and Lee is dealt...which one, I'm not sure of, but I do think one is gone.

As of right now, it's kind of hard to say what happens...we're not even past the trading deadline.  But I think I may some reasonable guesses...or atleast I hope I did.

I agree with most of what you said. I'm not so sure about Konerko or Lee getting dealt though. Both of them have pretty sizeable contracts. Konerko would make more sense to me, but we don't really have another option(unless we get Sexon or Delgado in FA, which I doubt). The only way I could see Lee going is if we pick up someone in a trade before the end of the year, but I don't really want to see him go.

I agree with most of what you said. I'm not so sure about Konerko or Lee getting dealt though. Both of them have pretty sizeable contracts. Konerko would make more sense to me, but we don't really have another option(unless we get Sexon or Delgado in FA, which I doubt). The only way I could see Lee going is if we pick up someone in a trade before the end of the year, but I don't really want to see him go.

This team's problem isn't Konerko or Lee. This team's problem is that it basically has an automatic out at SS, whether it is Valentin or Uribe. And it isn't the productive out, or at least an out that takes a pitcher deep in the count. It's the really bad, strikey-outy, first pitch pop-uppy, terrible approach that just kills ya. At least Uribe gives you solid defense.

The other spot that really kills us right now is 3rd base: Crede. I'll tell you what, this guy's defense might be pretty good and he might have a big hit every now and then, but that corner of the infield is a place to have another good hitter. I think they need to look long and hard at Crede and his production this year.

Willie Harris struggles, but I think he's sort of Ozzie's project. His defense is pretty good (great range), and he seems to find a way to get on base.

We'll probably lose Alomar this off-season. Who knows about Burke or Davis, but I bet we try to get a veteran at that position.

Our rotation probably looks like Garcia, Buehrle, Garland, Diaz, Cotts. Maybe we can make a play for a big starter (i.e. Pavano).

Our set-up and closer should be set for next year. We need another set-up guy. Losing Cotts to being a starter means we have NO middle relief (although we really have none this year).

I think the areas we can really shore up are SS, 3B, catcher, and middle relief.

The most important people we gotta keep around is Buerhle, Garcia, SHingo, Rowand, CLee and Konerko, obviously a few other role players but we can afford to lose almost anyone else if we are active in the offseason. Also it would be nice if Hurt will stay around and we can resign maggs cuz of his injury.

I would expect to see a major overhaul....I can't say who, what, or why but did not Ozzie say when the season began that If the players he had here now couldnt perform how he expected he would bring in players who can?!?! Then again, he might have been ordering from the drive thru at mcdonalds....

But I would expect an overhaul...the lineup has been proven over the past 5 years to be too right handed and power dominated...expect a leadoff man and more contact hitters...

I just can't see them walking the same path IF and I do say IF they dont make the playoffs....