the future of the white sox

thedoctor

I won't tell you who I'll get rid of, but I will tell you who I'd keep.

Keepers:

Konerko

Lee

Buehrle

Garica

Rowand

Marte

Takatsu

Cotts

Ordonez(if healthy and affordable)

Garland

Losers:

Crede

Valentine

Loaiza

Shoeny

Jackson

Alomar

Definitely need to overhaul...by bringing up some minor leaguers...signing some free agents and foriegners...or trading for what we need to be a complete team.

Where's Thomas fit into your list?

I'm undecided on Thomas, I'd like to keep him, but if is possible for him to leave the team and make us better without him I'm all for him leaving.

I would love for Frank to retire as a player for the Whitesox...but again if it helps the team more if he leaves I'm for it.

Keepers:

Konerko

Lee

Buehrle

Garica

Rowand

Marte

Takatsu

Cotts

Ordonez(if healthy and affordable)

Garland

Losers:

Crede

Valentine

Loaiza

Shoeny

Jackson

Alomar

Crede is on the bubble, I'd put him more in the "unknown" category, but that list looks about right.

I'm undecided on Thomas,  I'd like to keep him,  but if is possible for him to leave the team and make us better without him I'm all for him leaving.

I would love for Frank to retire as a player for the Whitesox...but again if it helps the team more if he leaves I'm for it.

He still puts up solid numbers, and I think we should keep him here for as long as we can. It's obvious right now that he's a very important part of the Sox' success.

The list sounds about right, but I want to put Thomas in the keepers. Ideally I'd like to replace Lee or Konerko with a lefty of similar skills, but I'm not sure that's possible. I'm also tempted to keep Crede unless we get someone like Glaus or Koskie to replace him.

I'm undecided on Thomas,  I'd like to keep him,  but if is possible for him to leave the team and make us better without him I'm all for him leaving.

Explain to me why taking one of the most feared hitters in the AL, a man with a batting eye second to only Barry Bonds and maybe Manny Ramirez, is a good thing?

This team CAN survive without Magglio. This team cannot survive, as it is right now, without Thomas. I think we can stay afloat without Thomas, but he really changes our lineup; i.e. Thomas gets walked, and they are forced to throw more fastballs to Lee, and so on and so forth.

id believe its time for an overhaul if we dont rebound and catch the twinkies..

one of the positives out of that would be if we traded off both konerko and lee for prospects or young major leaguers we would then have plenty of money to re-sign maggs...provided this problem he has isnt considered a chronic problem...

doesnt frank have the right to pick up an option for about 6 million this year??..because of the injury im sure he takes advantage of that so the sox have him whether they like it or not.

ideally id like something like this

c - solid defensive catcher with a little pop (i would love brandon inge - someone like him)

1b - 30 plus homers from the left side

2b - 30sb's and 360 plus obp

ss - solid defense and some speed (i could live with uribe)

3b - i think it will be crede - matures into a 20 -25 homer guy with a 280 average?? - im hoping)

lf - 30 plus homers from the left side - defense too

cf - rowand

rf - maggs

dh - thomas

mix and match in the pen with pollitte - marte and shingo back for sure

starters - build around buehrle - garcia and garland

how long would it take to rebuild a team like that??

id believe its time for an overhaul if we dont rebound and catch the twinkies..

one of the positives out of that would be if we traded off both konerko and lee for prospects or young major leaguers we would then have plenty of money to re-sign maggs...provided this problem he has isnt considered a chronic problem...

doesnt frank have the right to pick up an option for about 6 million this year??..because of the injury im sure he takes advantage of that so the sox have him whether they like it or not.

ideally id like something like this

c - solid defensive catcher with a little pop (i would love brandon inge - someone like him)

1b - 30 plus homers from the left side

2b - 30sb's  and 360 plus obp

ss - solid defense and some speed (i could live with uribe)

3b - i think it will be crede - matures into a 20 -25 homer guy with a 280 average?? - im hoping)

lf - 30 plus homers from the left side - defense too

cf - rowand

rf - maggs

dh - thomas

mix and match in the pen with pollitte - marte and shingo back for sure

starters - build around buehrle - garcia and garland

how long would it take to rebuild a team like that??

Forever. Everyone is looking for lefties with pop and second basemen that can steal 30 bases, there aren't a ton of them out there. A solid defensive cather that can hit is pretty tough too. Plus why would Maggs want to stay if we get rid of Lee and Konerko.

I’ve recently seen a lot of people ditch Thomas... what’s up with that? He’s a real good player and I hope he retires with us.

i want thomas more than not wanting him...but what i said, is if it makes a BETTER team with out him by the people we sign or could trade for than have him go...but if we would be better off with him, well then hell yeah keep him...There is no other reason to get rid of him unless it helps us better than keeping him

Forever. Everyone is looking for lefties with pop and second basemen that can steal 30 bases, there aren't a ton of them out there. A solid defensive cather that can hit is pretty tough too. Plus why would Maggs want to stay if we get rid of Lee and Konerko.

there are guys out there that fit that criteria...every team in baseball has left handed power hitters...except us of course..its a lefties game..how can you say there are none out there???...just look at how many cleveland came up with in just 2 to 3 years of rebuilding???..but its impossible for us???

at catcher - im not looking for a 300 hitter..just a guy with a little pop..maybe 15 -20 homers...detroit , a team that lost 120 games last year..now has 2..

2nd baseman...would definately be the hardest position to fill under my criteria...but i dont think its impossible either..

brian roberts .358 obp , 25 sb's , his name always comes up in trade rumors...and with baltimore really having a disappointing year maybe a deal could be worked for a guy like that...or if we are rebuilding you can get a top prospect from somebody that has that kind of potential...there has to be some 2nd baseman with lead off abilities in the minors..

also a guy like chone figgens 359obp , 21 steals , could easily adjust to playing 2nd base...anaheim's not gonna trade him (i dont think anyways)..but there could be other guys like him out there that just need the chance that could transition to 2nd base...

if we showed maggs the money , he'd stay

im not saying it would be easy..but it wouldnt be impossible either

there are guys out there that fit that criteria...every team in baseball has left handed power hitters...except us of course..its a lefties game..how can you say there are none out there???...just look at how many cleveland came up with in just 2 to 3 years of rebuilding???..but its impossible for us???

at catcher - im not looking for a 300 hitter..just a guy with a little pop..maybe 15 -20 homers...detroit , a team that lost 120 games last year..now has 2..

2nd baseman...would definately be the hardest position to fill under my criteria...but i dont think its impossible either..

brian roberts .358 obp , 25 sb's , his name always comes up in trade rumors...and with baltimore really having a disappointing year maybe a deal could be worked for a guy like that...or if we are rebuilding you can get a top prospect from somebody that has that kind of potential...there has to be some 2nd baseman with lead off abilities in the minors..

also a guy like chone figgens 359obp , 21 steals , could easily adjust to playing 2nd base...anaheim's not gonna trade him (i dont think anyways)..but there could be other guys like him out there that just need the chance that could transition to 2nd base...

if we showed maggs the money , he'd stay

im not saying it would be easy..but it wouldnt be impossible either

Cleveland has exactly 3 in Hafner, Lawton(who isn't a power hitter by any stretch of the imagination, and Gerut, who's not exactly killing the ball.(Martinez is a switch hitter). Even then, none of them are likely to hit 30 homers, the most any of them has right now is 17.

Look at your major power hitters. Thome, Helton, Ortiz and Bonds are studs and aren't going anywhere. Giambi(steriods cough cough) and Delgado are sucking. One available after the year, one not. Burnitz, Dunn and Edmonds and have power but little average(at least through most of their careers), all not going anywhere. Drew has power but always gets hurt, and is a Boras client so will cost a ton. Beltran is a switch hitter and will cost a ton. Blalock isn't going anywhere, and Texiera is a switch hitter and isn't going anywhere. Griffey is always hurt and costs a ton. Chavez is locked up. Huff is a little off that pace and isn't going anywhere, Berkman is also a little off and is probably going to resign. Abreu doesn't always hit this many and is staying, Lou Go is hurt and overpaid, and might not get there again, and Chipper is in a funk, making a ton, and staying.That adds up to 20 guys that fit your criterion(almost none being available), which is a less than one for every team, and few of those also have the defense to fit one of you criterion. I wouldn't even want some of these guys that bad. Notice only 4 teams have two of these guys(Abreu and Thome, Dunn and Griffey, Texiera and Blalock, Helton and Burnitz), and one of them is in Colorado. And you expect us to find two in a couple of years?

Also I highly doubt that Roberts or Figgins are going anywhere(I think Figgins is a bit of a fluke anyways, but I digress). The Orioles are much more likely to trade Hairston than Roberts. When a team finds these guys they keep them, so you basically have to develop one. And there still are very few catchers that will hit 15 homers. I'd love to have Inge but he's not moving.

PS, sorry for anyone trying to quote this, I keep finding guys that are either hurt or having an off year that I missed. There still aren't a lot.

Cleveland has exactly 3 in Hafner, Lawton(who isn't a power hitter by any stretch of the imagination, and Gerut, who's not exactly killing the ball.(Martinez is a switch hitter). Even then, none of them are likely to hit 30 homers, the most any of them has right now is 17.

Look at your major power hitters. Thome, Helton, Ortiz and Bonds are studs and aren't going anywhere. Giambi(steriods cough cough) and Delgado are sucking. One available after the year, one not. Burnitz, Dunn and Edmonds and have power but little average(at least through most of their careers), all not going anywhere. Drew has power but always gets hurt, and is a Boras client so will cost a ton. Beltran is a switch hitter and will cost a ton. Blalock isn't going anywhere, and Texiera is a switch hitter and isn't going anywhere. Griffey is always hurt and costs a ton. Chavez is locked up. Huff is a little off that pace and isn't going anywhere, Berkman is also a little off and is probably going to resign. That adds up to 17 guys that fit your criterion(almost none being available), which is a little more than one for every other team, and few of those also have the defense to fit one of you criterion. Notice only 3 teams have two of these guys(Dunn and Griffey, Texiera and Blalock, Helton and Burnitz), and one of them is in Colorado. And you expect us to find two in a couple of years?

switch hitters i usually count as lefty power because youll get somewhere in the neighborhood of 75% of their homers from the left side...so a guy like borchard i would put into that criteria if he reaches potential..

i believe both hafner and gerut have 30 home run potential..if a guy hits 27 or 28 id consider that close enough..

you forgot a few guys..

garrett anderson..he's been hurt this year but in the last 4 years has hit 121 homers

steve finley 23 homers right now

shawn green - power numbers down a little but has 3 - 40plus homers seasons and another 35..

hidecki matsui is on pace for 30

bobby abreau , 22 right now , that gives philly 2 guys

there are other guys out there just starting their careers that i would put in there even though they havent hit many homers yet...hee chop soi for one..i think he will hit a ton someday...

this scenario is if we were to go into rebuilding mode..so trading guys like lee and konerko who would give us prospects in return so of those prospects shold be left handed power hitters that could hit 30 someday

cleveland did it in 2 years...why couldnt we??...it would atleast be in my master plan to put together that type of team

PS, sorry for anyone trying to quote this, I keep finding guys that are either hurt or having an off year that I missed. There still aren't a lot.

did you ad that ps later??..i swear i didnt see it the first time i read your post or i wouldnt have listed the other guys...if i doubled up anyone..sorry bout that too

Lower deck seats are better, IMO. I'm a former club level season ticket holder...I got tired of not being able to be an 'ass' real fast.

UD for me unless I can get club - for many reasons I prefer being up there, inclduing much shorter lines for everything plus having whole park access if I want it

switch hitters i usually count as lefty power because youll get somewhere in the neighborhood of 75% of their homers from the left side...so a guy like borchard i would put into that criteria if he reaches potential..

i believe both hafner and gerut have 30 home run potential..if a guy hits 27 or 28 id consider that close enough..

you forgot  a few guys..

garrett anderson..he's been hurt this year but in the last 4 years has hit 121 homers

steve finley 23 homers right now

shawn green - power numbers down a little but has 3 - 40plus homers seasons and another 35..

hidecki matsui is on pace for 30

bobby abreau , 22 right now , that gives philly 2 guys

there are other guys out there just starting their careers that i would put in there even though they havent hit many homers yet...hee chop soi for one..i think he will hit a ton someday...

this scenario is if we were to go into rebuilding mode..so trading guys like lee and konerko who would give us prospects in return so of those prospects shold be left handed power hitters that could hit 30 someday

cleveland did it in 2 years...why couldnt we??...it would atleast be in my master plan to put together that type of team

Yes, I added the PS when I found a couple of guys I forgot. You're right about Anderson, I forgot him. The others are either sucking horribly or not exactly power hitters Green has done it in the past but doesn't do it consistently, and Matsui doesn't have me convinced, and Finley seems a little old to even worry about. There are only about one per team, and I wouldn't really want about 10 of them. We aren't going to find a ton of those guys in trades. Even if we trade Lee AND Konerko, we'll get like 5 prospects, 3 of them probably being pitchers. Cleveland traded a ton of guys with a lot of talent, like Alomar, Colon, Thome, Ramirez, and Mesa. We aren't trading all of those guys and don't have anyone to match Thome and Ramirez. Even then it is a crap shoot. I think we might eventually have 1 in Sweeney, but that's going to be 3 years from now. I'd rather hang on to those guys than scrap the team for 3 years anyways. It looks like we should have a solid team for next year if we just resign Maggs. Besides, the lefty-righty crap is often bulls***(like when Ozzie pinch hit lefties to face Rivera, god that was dumb), quality players are quality players.

The problem is it's always something with teams that are hexed

like our Sox.

We are so slow afoot this year, but in past decades, we've had fast guys and

still not won anything.

We in past years haven't had good starters; now we do.

If we make a movement for speed and defense, we'll probably have

no bombers and have trouble scoring.

I wish we'd try for a new GM again and see what happens with our

next GM.

The hex this year is we had the team with a healthy Frank n Maggs.