Your brushes with greatness

cwsox

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Manuel was in front of me in line at Subway once

I met players at soxfest 2 years ago

I saw George W. Bush playin fetch with his dog when i was in DC...We used binoculars to look at the house and then we saw him.

I cant think of much more but Man Soo Lee has my cousins cell phone number because they used to have season tickets out by the bullpen and they talked to him alot. He even called him once and gave them tickets.

I've had a few ryes but here goes. (Good thread Cw) I have been on the same field/arena as Dan Blackburn(NY Rangers) Justin Morneau (Minnesota Twins) Corie Koskie(Minnisota Twins), Ray Chadwick(Anaheim Angels), I've golfed with Jerome Iginla(before he was in the NHL.) Met/lunched with: Jean Cretien, Jack Layton, Steven Harper, and many other known Canadian politicians. Have met John Candy, Clint Eastwood, Russel Crowe, Tom Berringer, Burt Reynolds, Martin Short, some others I'm forgetting, Aaron Sorkin, Michelle Phifer, Hank Azaria, some others. My dad is a scenic carpenter for movies and I worked for the Banff Television Festival for a few years. s*** there must be more but I can't think right now...

I met Michael Moore before Bowling for Columbine came out.  I've also met Dennis Kucinich, Rick Winkel (from the IL legislature), Ed Rosenthal, Martin Espada, Daniel Pipes (well not so much met him as called him a bigot), Rich Koz of Svengoolie fame and Peter Singer.

I have met Daniel Pipes (called him a HERO!).

Working at the airport, I have met many "celebs". Can't remember them all, but, here goes...

Aerosmith

Yngwie Malmstein

Cheap Trick

Kid Rock with Pam Anderson

Johnnie Cochrane

Jerrry Springer

Gina Lollabrigitta

Jesse Jackson

Farrakhan (SCUMBAG!!!)

Buddy Guy

2002 Whitesox

Eminem

D-12

Slipknot

Willie Nelson

George Clinton and P-Funk

Robert Plant

Jimmie Page

Davy Jones (Monkees)

Donnie Osmond

Can't remember any more right now.

I have met Daniel Pipes (called him a HERO!).

Working at the airport, I have met many "celebs". Can't remember them all, but, here goes...

Aerosmith

Yngwie Malmstein

Cheap Trick

Kid Rock with Pam Anderson

Johnnie Cochrane

Jerrry Springer

Gina Lollabrigitta

Jesse Jackson

Farrakhan (SCUMBAG!!!)

Buddy Guy

2002 Whitesox

Eminem

D-12

You met D12, too.. wow, small world. Now there are 2 of us here.

I just saw Kid Rock Saturday night with his kid.. he's a lot "larger" than he looks on TV, but a real nice guy.

I've met a ton of musicians, but these are the ones I think are kind of cool for one reason or another, the names might not mean a whole heck of a lot to most here, but "greatness" is all relative, and these folks are great to me, except for Axl:

Axl Rose

Brian Baker from Minor Threat, Dag Nasty, Government Issue, Bad Religion, Junkyard...and the list goes on and on...

All of The Dogs D'Amour and I hung out for hours one night, mainly Steven James, Tyla, and Jo Dog.

Hung out with Mother Love Bone that same night, mainly Bruce Fairweather, who I was supposed to get together with to play, but things just didn't work out.

I know Rocky Shades from 80's UK Glam Gods Wrathchild.

I met all of The Lords Of The New Church, including having Stiv Bators call me a "f*g".  :lolhitting

Wattie the vocalist for Punk legends The Exploited

Bill Steer from Carcass

Steve Youth from 7 Seconds bummed a cigarette off of me.  rolleyeyes.gif

I met Danielle Dax...hummina, hummina, hummina... :wub:

A girlfriend of mine was banging Nivek Ogre of Skinny Puppy. Luckily this knowledge came to me just in the knick of time... ;)

Ginger of The Wildhearts knows of me...heh...a good reason I didn't go see them recently.

I know THEE Trash Brats, Ricky Rat actually, but have not spoken to for a bit of time now.

Got my butt kicked almost by Beefcake and Oderus of GWAR, for supposedly tripping Beefcake at a convention.  :lolhitting

About an hour later Gwar Woman was trying to avoid slobbering fans who were chasing her around, so she pulled up to me and more or less acted like I was with her, and all the guys left. I talked to her for a few minutes, really cool lady!

I met Jackie Chan at a book signing, if you want to call that "meeting", which I don't. Shook his hand and ran as the line was pushed through.

I met Dan Simmons at another book signing. That one I will say was actually a "meeting" as it was a smallish turnout, and he even did a little artwork for my signing, and I got back in line and dropped a bunch of more books on him.

Met George Romero at the debut for his film Bruiser.

So there is a bunch of "nobodies" for all of you to look at and say "so what???" about!  :cheers

Oh...and as a kid, some guy from the Bears moved into a house down the street from me. He used to play football with all my friends and I. He was out due to a knee injury the following season and never played again. I have no idea who it was now though. I should try and find out who he was, as he was a REALLY cool guy.

I drank a bunch of tequila with Slash in 1989 at Smart Bar (Chicago).

I asked the guys from D-12 if I could have one of the diamond-encrusted D-12 medallions...they just laughed at me!

BTW...where did you see Kid Rock?

They were modestly dressed Sunday. Long shorts, "wife beaters", and Detroit jersey's and caps. They had on a couple of big gaudy things around their necks, but not like I've seen in pictures of them. I would guess most of the bling was missing. The one had on a huge ring about the size of my entire hand that went across all 4 of his fingers. One of their sons - who might have been pushing 5... was wearing what had to be a 2 ct diamond earing. The thing was pulling the poor child's lobe down. I guess if ya got it.. flaunt it. :unsure:

I saw Kid at the Tiger's game.

I was caddying and I actually caddied for the Dhali Llama. After the round was over, I ask how about something for the effort? The Llama said " there will be no money, but when you die you will have total conscience" So I have that going for me. hehe

...Which is nice.

:lol:

I drank a bunch of tequila with Slash in 1989 at Smart Bar (Chicago).

I was at the Junkyard show at The Metro, people were pushing me like mad, I kept pushing back. I couldn't figure out why people were trying to be all around me. Finally my buddy tugged on my shirt and said "look to your left" and I looked right next to me, and there was Axl standing there.

"Hey Axl", I said

"Hey, whats up?" He said back to me.

"Not much, hey, that's a cool shirt you got on there man", I said to him, he looked down at himself, looked at me and smiled. "I like yours too man", he said back to me.

By this point the crowd had started getting out of control, and his security was getting tired of trying to keep people off him. So, he smiled at me, told me to take it easy, and took off with his guys to the balcony level. He waved down to people as they would yell for him now and then, but he eventually disappeared. He loved Junkyard, and I am sure he hid out so that people would pay attention to the band and not him.

This was as GnR was still just becoming the powerhouse they were eventually to become. He just didn't seem to get it that he shouldn't have been in that crowd. But for some reason his security guys didn't force me away. It may have had something to do with I wasn't all over the man. Plus we were both dressed almost indentical, and maybe they were a little confused on who was who, except I am a bit taller than he is.

Crazy little experience that was though. Junkyard was also amazing that day, and I hung out and talked to Brian Baker for the third time.