Ending July on a Positive Note

beck72

With few moves that make sense for the Sox at the trade deadline and the prospects looking very slim about any additions, I still expect the sox to wake up.

The remaining players know it's all on them to replace Maggs and Frank [hitters as well as pitchers need to step up]. This alone should wake the Sox up from their lethargic July. The prospect that some big bat will come and bail them out will no longer be an option weighing in the back of their minds. They must step up and come together as a team to get to the playoffs.

Guys like PK, Lee, Jose and Crede have been in Maggs and Frank's shadow their entire careers. They struggled in the Twins series when it counted. I for one think more than one of these guys will learn from this July lesson and turn it on the next two months.

With the horrendous July behind them, the Sox should look more like a real major league team when the bats wake up. Starting tonight, the bats will awaken. There will be no more excuses, or waiting on a savior. Small ball, timely hitting w/ RISP, homeruns with a runner or two on base, solid pitching to keep the team in games, working counts, good defense, will be the norm rather than the exception.

Go Sox!

With few moves that make sense for the Sox at the trade deadline and the prospects looking very slim about any additions, I still expect the sox to wake up.

The remaining players know it's all on them to replace Maggs and Frank [hitters as well as pitchers need to step up]. This alone should wake the Sox up from their lethargic July. The prospect that some big bat will come and bail them out will no longer be an option weighing in the back of their minds. They must step up and come together as a team to get to the playoffs.

Guys like PK, Lee, Jose and Crede have been in Maggs and Frank's shadow their entire careers. They struggled in the Twins series when it counted. I for one think more than one of these guys will learn from this July lesson and turn it on the next two months.

With the horrendous July behind them, the Sox should look more like a real major league team when the bats wake up. Starting tonight, the bats will awaken. There will be no more excuses, or waiting on a savior. Small ball, timely hitting w/ RISP, homeruns with a runner or two on base, solid pitching to keep the team in games, working counts, good defense, will be the norm rather than the exception.

Go Sox!

You can't honestly believe that the reason the Sox have played poorly is because they haven't woken up in July.

You can't honestly believe that they'll suddenly come to their senses and say to themselves "Self, I didn't realize until now that I really need to try harder. Holy cow, self, it's July 31 and I just played the last month asleep but now I realize that I should wake up and play better".

Please. rolleyeyes.gif

It's been a roller coaster month, let's just close it out with a win, and move on.

One thing that someone else said really hits home. They need to RELAX and go play. Seems like the silly mistakes is from pressing too hard. Go play, have fun, and let the chips fall where they may.

They clearly are not having fun, and I think that's the problem more then anything else.

You can't honestly believe that the reason the Sox have played poorly is because they haven't woken up in July. 

You can't honestly believe that they'll suddenly come to their senses and say to themselves "Self, I didn't realize until now that I really need to try harder.  Holy cow, self, it's July 31 and I just played the last month asleep but now I realize that I should wake up and play better".

Please. rolleyeyes.gif

You honestly think that our offense is going to continue like this for the better of two months?

Please... rolleyeyes.gif

BTW - Great post, beck. Every person with a Sox jersey on needs to step it up - starting tonight with Buehrle on the bump.

It's been a roller coaster month, let's just close it out with a win, and move on.

One thing that someone else said really hits home.  They need to RELAX and go play.  Seems like the silly mistakes is from pressing too hard.  Go play, have fun, and let the chips fall where they may.

They clearly are not having fun, and I think that's the problem more then anything else.

Oh my God - I've seen it all.

The reason these multimillionaire major league ball players are playing poorly is either that:

1. They're not awake enough.

2. They're not having enough fun.

Could it possibly be lack of talent? Could it just be that the opposition is better?

Are you people serious? Otherwise put it in green.

The reason these multimillionaire major league ball players are playing poorly is either that:

1.  They're not awake enough.

2.  They're not having enough fun.

Could it possibly be lack of talent?  Could it just be that the opposition is better?

Are you people serious?  Otherwise put it in green.

Could it be they had a bad f***in week?

9-15 for the month is worse than a bad week.  More like a bad month.  But it makes a hell of a lot more sense than the other two comments.

Factor out the six (or is it seven) game losing streak, and we're 9-9 or 9-8.

I'd call that a bad week. ;)

I'd call that a bad week;)

It's six and that's exactly right. 9 and 9 isn't a good month no doubt about that but it's definitely not awful, it's been a bad week and if you don't believe that ozzie one week ago today we were in first place, so yes it's been a bad week.

1.  They're not awake enough.

2.  They're not having enough fun.

Could it possibly be lack of talent?  Could it just be that the opposition is better?

Are you people serious?  Otherwise put it in green.

Oh My God.

The f***ing sky is caving in... the team must be f***ing perfect or I flush the toilet over their head.

Yes, I said they are pressing too hard. Have you ever tried so hard at something that you were comfortable with that you screwed up, and the harder you tried the worse it got? Oh, nevermind, you don't have to press on anything, because you're perfect.

And it's even in green, just for you...

I'd call that a bad week;)

Um, factor out the 4 game winning streak against Cleveland and Detroit and I'd call it a really bad month.

Sorry - you just can't "factor out" a 6 game losing streak against 2 of your 3 main rivals in the division. I know it makes you feel better, but it's illogical.

Um,  factor out the 4 game winning streak against Cleveland and Detroit and I'd call it a really bad month.

Sorry - you just can't "factor out" a 6 game losing streak against 2 of your 3 main rivals in the division.  I know it makes you feel better, but it's illogical.

After that four-game winning streak we were in first place and 10 games over .500 for the first time this season. The month was very decent at that point. Then this week came, where we lost six in a row. Recap.

So, before this week, 1st place, season-high 10 games over .500.

After this week, 2nd place, only 4 games over .500.

Bad week.

After that four-game winning streak we were in first place and 10 games over .500 for the first time this season.  The month was very decent at that point.  Then this week came, where we lost six in a row.  Recap.

So, before this week, 1st place, season-high 10 games over .500.

After this week, 2nd place, only 4 games over .500.

Bad week.

You said that much better then I did. :notworthy :notworthy

Um,  factor out the 4 game winning streak against Cleveland and Detroit and I'd call it a really bad month.

Sorry - you just can't "factor out" a 6 game losing streak against 2 of your 3 main rivals in the division.  I know it makes you feel better, but it's illogical.

Hey - and if you factor out the whole month, we're 0-0...

I'm telling you it was a bad week. 0-6 is a bad week. 9-15 is pretty poor too, but when you think how you got from point A, 9-9, to point B, 9-15, there must have been - hey, a six game losing streak in there. Am I going too fast, Ozzie? Oh wait - you're perfect and you understand everything, so I'm silly just to ask that question.

Oh - and don't be calling me illogical - I can talk to my dog better than I can talk to you...

I love hearing how super-talented Borchard is.

What's his big talent then? Slow hands that produce a slow swing? Lack of great coordination that doesn't allow him to re-route his hands and still put the fat part of the bat on the ball or at least foul it off after being fooled by a good breaking ball with 2 strikes? Being too self-conscious?

And don't get me started on Schoeneweiss, Perez and Burke/Davis.......

You can't honestly believe that they'll suddenly come to their senses and say to themselves "Self, I didn't realize until now that I really need to try harder.  Holy cow, self, it's July 31 and I just played the last month asleep but now I realize that I should wake up and play better".

Please. rolleyeyes.gif

Why I'm responding to your post who knows but here goes----

Sandy alomar was on AM 670 this afternoon, and basically validated my post. One of the things he said was the Sox need to stop scoreboard watching. They saw the red sox beating the Twins last night and the sense of urgency to beat the Tigers was almost not there. It was like"well we won't lose any ground, and there's a lot of time left".

What this tells me is the sox players are looking for other guys to bail them out. Maybe via a trade, maybe by someone else getting the big hit. Guys are pressing at certain times, and resigned to the motto, "we'll get them next time" at others.

Instead of looking to do the small things, like getting on base, taking pitches, hitting to the opposite field [things the sox have done this year when they have been winning] a lot of guys are looking to hit the five-run homer. Pk was the perfect example vs the Twins, back to his bat throwing/ flipping, cursing ways when he made an out.

Human nature being what it is, the remaining sox players need to realize they have to replace Frank and Maggs by doing the small things [ie Ozzie ball]. they can't replace the power numbers. But they can still score enough runs to win games by playing a team game.

As a fan, I try to be realistic. Baseball is a mental and a physical game. Physically, the sox aren't in that bad of shape. They have their starting pitching and bullpen healthy, and good talent yet to get untracked for an extended period of time. Discounting the emotional aspect of baseball, with all the highs and lows of a 162 game season, is foolish though. Ozzieairdale, you are being foolish. Sure the Sox may continue tanking. But they have an equally good chance of getting back on track and playing to their talent level. Jump ship if you want. But try to keep your negativity confined on the empty posts you or others of your ilk start.

BTW- the Sox were a season high 10 games over .500 before they lost the last 6 games. Its been a horrendous week. And with the sox hitting about .230 in July as a team, its been a bad month. The sox hit like they did in April, May and June and we wouldn't be having this conversation