joe borchard must make this team imo

baggio202

for this team to really live up to its potential...with rowand in cf we have 3 through 9 all right handed..borchard will give us tremendous left handed(and sometimes right) power..and thats something this team really needs..

his homer today was a mistake..he got under it and hit a towering fly ball...that went 400 feet....this kid is ready.the only thing he has to learn how to do is adjust to how major league pitchers adjust to him and that wont happen in charlotte...

if boerchard hits 40 homers he could hit 220 and still be a huge positive cog in the offense...cmon jerry..sending joe to charlotte???.,..say it aint so

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if boerchard hits 40 homers he could hit 220 and still be a huge positive cog in the offense...cmon jerry..sending joe to charlotte???.,..say it aint so

.220 is unacceptable for a team with World Series aspirations. He'll have to hit higher than that. We don't need Borchard to hit HR -- we've got Thomas, Mags, Konerko, and Lee for that -- we need him to drive in runs and get on base.

I disagree Baggs.

I don't think he's totaly figured out AAA pitchers yet. I DO think he can come up and produce some type of numbers, but they won't be anything special. keep him down for a couple months and let him get his swing down pat. once that happens, bring him up and play him, not start him, but in a platoon sit or something.

for this team to really live up to its potential...with rowand in cf we have 3 through 9 all right handed..borchard will give us tremendous left handed(and sometimes right)  power..and thats something this team really needs..

his homer today was a mistake..he got under it and hit a towering fly ball...that went 400 feet....this kid is ready.the only thing he has to learn how to do is adjust to how major league pitchers adjust to him and that wont happen in charlotte...

.220, 40 homers, about 70 RBIs..sure, I'll accept that. That would even be eligible for ROY if the Sox make it far enough. :headbang

But if Rowand's healthy, we play Aaron

.220 is unacceptable for a team with World Series aspirations. He'll have to hit higher than that. We don't need Borchard to hit HR -- we've got Thomas, Mags, Konerko, and Lee for that -- we need him to drive in runs and get on base.

we need his power from the left side in the middle of the line up to balance it out...alot of you dont agree with that lefty righty balance but i think its big..not because our right handed hitters cant hit rigth handed pitching but because when a pitcher , imo , faces 7 guys in a row that are right handed he can get himself in a real good groove...im a big believer that if you make a pitcher pitch to both sides of the plater..make him move the ball around that it increases his chances for making a mistake...the more you can switch the outside corner from right to left and visa versa..the better chance , imo , you will get to hit more mistakes....so for that reason its big if borchard makes this team..even if he hits 220 with 40 homers that power will make a pitcher change his pattern..

another benefit is teams will try and turn joe around to bat right handed in close games in like the 6th through 8th innings...if we use the other teams lefty to turn joe around because of his lefty power then that might mean jimenez and valentin get to bat left handed in the 7th or 8th inning of that same close game...which is better for us

I disagree Baggs. 

I don't think he's totaly figured out AAA pitchers yet.  I DO think he can come up and produce some type of numbers, but they won't be anything special.  keep him down for a couple months and let him get his swing down pat.  once that happens, bring him up and play him, not start him, but in a platoon sit or something.

I agree with your first idea, but disagree with your 2nd.

I say start Borchard down in AAA to begin the year (he's not hitting nearly high enough to make the team out of ST - at least as of now, because he's barely breaking the Mendoza line), and go with Aaron Rowand in CF, assuming he's able to. Then, after about 2 or 3 months re-evaluate things. If Borchard is hot in AAA and Rowand is struggling, make the switch, but Borchard must play everyday when he comes up. He'll never learn how to hit in the big leagues if he's only playing every 2 or 3 days. He needs to get his AB's in.

If Borchard's not going to be our everyday CF once he gets called up, I don't think they should call him up. Playing everyday in AAA would be more beneficial to his career IMO.

I disagree Baggs.  

I don't think he's totaly figured out AAA pitchers yet.  I DO think he can come up and produce some type of numbers, but they won't be anything special.  keep him down for a couple months and let him get his swing down pat.  once that happens, bring him up and play him, not start him, but in a platoon sit or something.

I agree with your first idea, but disagree with your 2nd.

I say start Borchard down in AAA to begin the year (he's not hitting nearly high enough to make the team out of ST - at least as of now, because he's barely breaking the Mendoza line), and go with Aaron Rowand in CF, assuming he's able to. Then, after about 2 or 3 months re-evaluate things. If Borchard is hot in AAA and Rowand is struggling, make the switch, but Borchard must play everyday when he comes up. He'll never learn how to hit in the big leagues if he's only playing every 2 or 3 days. He needs to get his AB's in.

If Borchard's not going to be our everyday CF once he gets called up, I don't think they should call him up. Playing everyday in AAA would be more beneficial to his career IMO.

ia gree that if borchard is not going to start then he should go to charlotte...i just think its time for joe...

uh, I think hitting home runs qualifies as driving in runs and getting on base.

Still think he should start out in Charlotte, however.

Uh, barely cracking .200 in Spring Training is NOT acceptable. I don't care if every one of his hits are HR's -- it's not acceptable.

We need him to hit at least .260 to be on this team. That's about what Aaron will hit, but Borchard's .260 would be better because he'll hit for more power (and he'll bring a left-handed power threat to the mix since he's a switch hitter).

So, as long as he's hitting .200, his OBP better damned well be .400 (and it's not even close) -- otherwise, he'll be sitting in AAA where he belongs.

If Aaron's healthy, we go with him. JB himself said that he needs more work in the minors. Now, if JB tops out early on in April and May in the minors, the Organization should bring him up and give him the chance to prove himself in the bigs. Whether you agree with Baggs assessment or not, one thing is for sure..... JB is our future OF'er..... not Rowand. And, if Rowand can't go Opening Day, I would rather the Sox let JB start in CF than Willie Harris..... anybody but Willie Harris.

If Aaron's healthy, we go with him. JB himself said that he needs more work in the minors. Now, if JB tops out early on in April and May in the minors, the Organization should bring him up and give him the chance to prove himself in the bigs. Whether you agree with Baggs assessment or not, one thing is for sure..... JB is our future OF'er..... not Rowand. And, if Rowand can't go Opening Day, I would rather the Sox let JB start in CF than Willie Harris..... anybody but Willie Harris.

I totally agree with everything u said Killa, Aaron Rowand was NEVER given much of an opportunity. Every season, someone had to start in front of him, and he got pushed down and had to fill in at about midseason. Willie Harris AND Aaron Miles are STRICTLY infielders, DO NOT try infielders out on the outfield. :nono

But if Rowand is unavailable for any reason, Borch would be the best choice for sure.

I totally agree with everything u said Killa, Aaron Rowand was NEVER given much of an opportunity. Every season, someone had to start in front of him, and he got pushed down and had to fill in at about midseason. Willie Harris AND Aaron Miles are STRICTLY infielders, DO NOT try infielders out on the outfield. :nono

But if Rowand is unavailable for any reason, Borch would be the best choice for sure.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Harris play some OF in the Orioles system?

As soon as we trade Carlos at the deadline....we'll see Joey B.

Lee opens up a spot on the White Sox for Borchard to come up and for Daubach/Borchard to start in LF....Lee will provide some pop for a team that can spend a little money and needs a DH/LF type...maybe a team building for the future or something like that. We then get some decent minor leaguers in the deal(maybe a catcher type?).

Daubach/Borchard then break up the righties....and we can trade for a cheaper RH power hitter at the deadline who can come off the bench and pinch hit in a snap and play a few positions.

We'd be getting better, yet cutting payroll at the same time.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Harris play some OF in the Orioles system?

yeah..but he plays CF about as good as jose valentin di for us...harris was the CF last week against the scrubs..boy did he look shaky..as CK said...anyone but harris in cf

Lee opens up a spot on the White Sox for Borchard to come up and for Daubach/Borchard to start in LF....Lee will provide some pop for a team that can spend a little money and needs a DH/LF type...maybe a team building for the future or something like that.  We then get some decent minor leaguers in the deal(maybe a catcher type?).

Daubach/Borchard then break up the righties....and we can trade for a cheaper RH power hitter at the deadline who can come off the bench and pinch hit in a snap and play a few positions.

Hmmm.

So quick to say we're trading C-Lee at the trading deadline, yet the season hasn't started yet. Do we trade him if he's hitting .300 with 17 HR and 60 RBI at the deadline? I'd have to say no -- unless we were offered a decent starter, and not some prospect (what would be use in that?).

I thought of another reason why Borchard should NOT start the season with the Sox. The first couple of months are going to be cold in Chicago, right? Thus, HR's are going to be harder to come by than they will be in the summer months. We should go with Rowand - a better OBP guy - and then if Borchard is doing good in AAA, consider bringing him up when the weather gets hot and the ball starts to carry. Until then, it's Aaron's job to lose.

I'd rather see an OF of a productive Lee in left, a confident Borchard in center, and an MVP-contender Ordonez in right. That, IMO, beats your proposed OF of either Borchard/Daubach in left, Rowand in center, and Magglio in right.

But, time will tell.

Lee opens up a spot on the White Sox for Borchard to come up and for Daubach/Borchard to start in LF....Lee will provide some pop for a team that can spend a little money and needs a DH/LF type...maybe a team building for the future or something like that.  We then get some decent minor leaguers in the deal(maybe a catcher type?).

Hmmm.

So quick to say we're trading C-Lee at the trading deadline, yet the season hasn't started yet. Do we trade him if he's hitting .300 with 17 HR and 60 RBI at the deadline? I'd have to say no -- unless we were offered a decent starter, and not some prospect (what would be use in that?).

I thought of another reason why Borchard should NOT start the season with the Sox. The first couple of months are going to be cold in Chicago, right? Thus, HR's are going to be harder to come by than they will be in the summer months. We should go with Rowand - a better OBP guy - and then if Borchard is doing good in AAA, consider bringing him up when the weather gets hot and the ball starts to carry. Until then, it's Aaron's job to lose.

I'd rather see an OF of a productive Lee in left, a confident Borchard in center, and an MVP-contender Ordonez in right. That, IMO, beats your proposed OF of either Borchard/Daubach in left, Rowand in center, and Magglio in right.

But, time will tell.

To open up a spot for Borchard, we are going to have to trade someone....we can't trade Konerko....he's not cheap enough and he actually plays good defense(however, outside of Lee, he is the most logical to trade...we have Daubach who is LH and can play decent defense at 1B as well). Trading Daubach would be pointless....that'd be trading our lefty off the bench so we can make room for a lefty off the bench....sorry, that doesn't work. We can't trade Maggs...nuff said. And we can't trade Thomas either....he is making more than Carlos and has a contract that is weirder than hell....plus he is a DH and is 35....you'd be lucky to get a good pitching prospect for Frank even if he was putting up a .350 25 90 line at the deadline....you'd get less for him than you would from a Carlos Lee who has been on the DL and is hitting .250 10 35....Carlos has upside that Frank does not have anymore.

Lee is the logical guy to trade....even if he is one of KW's boys. Also....doesn't Thomas have a no-trade clause...a 10-5 clause? 10 years in the majors, 5 with 1 team....I'm pretty sure that still holds true, even after his free agent market visit. He can turn down any trade to any team....and if he was having a good year and the Sox were in a close race...he would nix the deal.

Tell me....if you are KW, and Borchard is basically needed for the team to compete in the postseason....who do you trade? I trade Lee....but that's just MHO.

Lee opens up a spot on the White Sox for Borchard to come up and for Daubach/Borchard to start in LF....Lee will provide some pop for a team that can spend a little money and needs a DH/LF type...maybe a team building for the future or something like that.  We then get some decent minor leaguers in the deal(maybe a catcher type?).

Hmmm.

But, time will tell.

To open up a spot for Borchard, we are going to have to trade someone....we can't trade Konerko....he's not cheap enough and he actually plays good defense(however, outside of Lee, he is the most logical to trade...we have Daubach who is LH and can play decent defense at 1B as well). Trading Daubach would be pointless....that'd be trading our lefty off the bench so we can make room for a lefty off the bench....sorry, that doesn't work. We can't trade Maggs...nuff said. And we can't trade Thomas either....he is making more than Carlos and has a contract that is weirder than hell....plus he is a DH and is 35....you'd be lucky to get a good pitching prospect for Frank even if he was putting up a .350 25 90 line at the deadline....you'd get less for him than you would from a Carlos Lee who has been on the DL and is hitting .250 10 35....Carlos has upside that Frank does not have anymore.

Lee is the logical guy to trade....even if he is one of KW's boys. Also....doesn't Thomas have a no-trade clause...a 10-5 clause? 10 years in the majors, 5 with 1 team....I'm pretty sure that still holds true, even after his free agent market visit. He can turn down any trade to any team....and if he was having a good year and the Sox were in a close race...he would nix the deal.

Tell me....if you are KW, and Borchard is basically needed for the team to compete in the postseason....who do you trade? I trade Lee....but that's just MHO.

I'd say Paulie, we could get a real talented guy for him.

Lee might surprise us all this year, and then we'll be real sorry.

for this team to really live up to its potential...with rowand in cf we have 3 through 9 all right handed..borchard will give us tremendous left handed(and sometimes right)  power..and thats something this team really needs..

I didn't see today's game, but the one thign I noticed about Borchard is he doesn't seem to shift his weight well and is very flat footed. Mario noticed the same thing when we were watching.

Joe has a ton of power and at times I saw him put on a beautiful swing. Its definately a lot better looking then it was last spring. Still, he has some things to learn, but I don't doubt the fact that he could learn them at the major league level.

Now in his defense, I think he was working on going opposite field when he was there. He wasn't trying to pull anything as it looked like he was working on going to left field. His arm is for real and he's got plenty of range out there.

I also agree with Baggs assesment. I'm not saying he has to be here to start the season, but come playoff time, it would be huge if he was ready.

Cut down this damn quote....

Anyways....Paulie makes $7 mill or so this year....and is guaranteed about $16 mill more after this year. He plays 1B(which is a very power friendly position), doesn't have much range, and is slower than molasses. He turns the 3-6-3 like no other, and will probably hit real well eventually.

However...in the new CBA....that is too much money for teams to take on. He becomes less attractive just because of how much $$$ he makes. Lee makes about $3 mill less and isn't guaranteed the contract...so if the team wants, they can get rid of him at the end of the year. And then you consider that he is a 1Bman(and it is easy to find a power hitting 1B....hell, the Red Sox have like 2 or 3 of them)...and he is instantly unattractive.

We could get much more for Lee than we could for Konerko...which is why I deal Konerko.

And trust me...I wouldn't be sorry if he went on to be great....that would not only be good for the relationship between the Sox and the team we traded him to, but it would also get rid of the worst baserunner in the majors and a terrible defensive LF who is a better fit for DH. I won't miss his bat at all....Joey B's is fine with me and Daubach's and Rowand's are pretty good as well....good enough anyways.

Anyways....Paulie makes $7 mill or so this year....and is guaranteed about $16 mill more after this year. He plays 1B(which is a very power friendly position), doesn't have much range, and is slower than molasses. He turns the 3-6-3 like no other, and will probably hit real well eventually.

However...in the new CBA....that is too much money for teams to take on. He becomes less attractive just because of how much $$$ he makes. Lee makes about $3 mill less and isn't guaranteed the contract...so if the team wants, they can get rid of him at the end of the year. And then you consider that he is a 1Bman(and it is easy to find a power hitting 1B....hell, the Red Sox have like 2 or 3 of them)...and he is instantly unattractive.

We could get much more for Lee than we could for Konerko...which is why I deal Konerko.

And trust me...I wouldn't be sorry if he went on to be great....that would not only be good for the relationship between the Sox and the team we traded him to, but it would also get rid of the worst baserunner in the majors and a terrible defensive LF who is a better fit for DH. I won't miss his bat at all....Joey B's is fine with me and Daubach's and Rowand's are pretty good as well....good enough anyways.

Well, first off, you made a typo...

You: "We could get much more for Lee than we could for Konerko...which is why I deal Konerko."

I think you meant to say "which is why I deal Lee."

Regardless, WHY IS EVERYONE SO QUICK TO SAY WE NEED TO MAKE A TRADE?

If ANYTHING, we could use another pitcher. But, everyone saying we need to trade isn't proposing we get more pitching. It seems like everyone just wants to primarily dump payroll. Why?!

Guys...if - yes, if - Carlos Lee can finally realize his potential (or hell, even do what he did the year he hit .300), this Sox offense is going to be UNBELIEVABLE. We'll have the best 3-6 I've ever seen outside of a video game. We'd have Thomas, Magglio, Konerko, and Lee. That's 2 guys with .300 30 near 100 and 2 guys with .320 40 near 120/130. Is that a bad thing? I don't understand.

If the idea is to make room for Borchard (a guy hitting just over .200 in ST, mind you - great potential, yes, but that doesn't mean we need to rush him), there STILL isn't a need to make a trade. Isn't Borchard capable of playing in CF? Replace Rowand with Joe -- I'd rather have Lee in the lineup than Rowand.

Maybe someone can explain what I'm missing - but I don't see the need to trade Carlos Lee, unless some team offers us a good starting pitcher.

Problem is, if we trade Lee, we're cutting down our experience in the OF. I know Lee sucks as a defensive player, but at least he has experience and is improving. If Borchard comes up, our OF will be Borchard, Rowand, Maggs. That's a pretty unexperinced left and center. Borchard should replace Rowand if Aaron is unable to play. Good defensive 1B are alot easier to come by than a good LF.

And how can we get someone better for Lee instead of Konerko? Konerko was an all-star last year, and capable of hitting 30+ homers, while Lee is not that valuable. Trust me, GMs are much more interested in Paulie. If we trade Paulie, we can easily replace him with Daubach and get a very nice starter for him.

But the best decision right now imo is stick with what we got. Borchard stays in AAA until Rowand loses his job.

clujer, you're right...I did make a typo. My bad.

Anyways...the reason I don't put Borchard in CF is because though he has good range for a big guy in CF....we'd be better defensively with Borchard-Rowand-Maggs from left to right(or right to left....it doesn't really matter). Defense is underestimated in today's game....but it shouldn't be by us. We see incredible defense that is the main reason a team won the division last year 19 times a year.

I think you know who I'm talking about.

Anyways....if we dealt Lee, we improve our defense dramatically and don't take that big a hit offensively either....and we cut payroll.

If a team offers a decent pitching prospect and a good backup catcher type for Lee....do you do the deal? I know I do.

Problem is, if we trade Lee, we're cutting down our experience in the OF. I know Lee sucks as a defensive player, but at least he has experience and is improving. If Borchard comes up, our OF will be Borchard, Rowand, Maggs. That's a pretty unexperinced left and center. Borchard should replace Rowand if Aaron is unable to play. Good defensive 1B are alot easier to come by than a good LF.

And how can we get someone better for Lee instead of Konerko? Konerko was an all-star last year, and capable of hitting 30+ homers, while Lee is not that valuable. Trust me, GMs are much more interested in Paulie. If we trade Paulie, we can easily replace him with Daubach and get a very nice starter for him.

But the best decision right now imo is stick with what we got. Borchard stays in AAA until Rowand loses his job.

Why is everyone so rough on Carlos and his defense in LF? Granted, he's made some pretty bad plays, but I've also seen him make some very good plays (like the diving catch he made against the Cubs a couple weeks ago on WGN). He is definitely improving, and he throws out a lot of guys trying to go to 2nd. Plus, I might be wrong, but isn't his natural position 3rd base? I seem to remember that the Sox converted him to LF. If that's the case, cut the guy some f***ing slack.

And yes...stick with Lee, Rowand, Magglio until further notice. When Borchard is ready, bring him up and maybe move Rowand to our 4th OF slot and go with Lee/Borchard/Magglio. What would be wrong with that?

clujer, you're right...I did make a typo.  My bad.

Anyways...the reason I don't put Borchard in CF is because though he has good range for a big guy in CF....we'd be better defensively with Borchard-Rowand-Maggs from left to right(or right to left....it doesn't really matter).  Defense is underestimated in today's game....but it shouldn't be by us.  We see incredible defense that is the main reason a team won the division last year 19 times a year.

I think you know who I'm talking about.

Anyways....if we dealt Lee, we improve our defense dramatically and don't take that big a hit offensively either....and we cut payroll. 

If a team offers a decent pitching prospect and a good backup catcher type for Lee....do you do the deal?  I know I do.

A decent pitching prospect and a backup catcher for Carlos?

I do it if Carlos is struggling (and if that's the case, the prospect and catcher will probably not be very good), I would consider trading him, yes.

But, if Carlos is playing well, why trade him? Is this team suddenly in need of dumping payroll?