joe borchard must make this team imo

baggio202

Too many K's he needs another year in the minors.  I dont want him to be the next Rob Deer.

2 months in the minors will not change him from the next rob deer if thats his destiny to the next mickey mantle...with his talent if he is not ready now he never will be

Disagree. He hasn't played baseball full time since he was drafted. That takes some adjustments. The guy will be alright. I almost think he'll be in Charlotte all season and then next year will be his time. He didn't look ready when I saw him. I just hope he could find a way to get ready now, cause we could really use that left handed bat (most of the time thats the side he'll swing from)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...ts?statsId=6161

1st half, is before the All-star game

2nd after.

That's the way most people see a season.

So i guess both of you guys were right.

one thing im sure of...regaurdless of how you break up the season (pre /post -all star or 81/81 games) if carlos is still on the team next year we will be having this same discussion...carlos showed brilliance in the first or second (take your choice) half of the season and he is ready to reach his potential vrs he will always be a one half season performer...

Clujer420 get you facts straight he hit .263 before break and .266 after and finished with a .264 avg for year .   .283 my ass.

How about you check up on things before you accuse me of giving out false statistics?

Your apology is accepted.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...ts?statsId=6161

1st half, is before the All-star game

2nd after.

That's the way most people see a season.

So i guess both of you guys were right.

one thing im sure of...regaurdless of how you break up the season (pre /post -all star or 81/81 games) if carlos is still on the team next year we will be having this same discussion...carlos showed brilliance in the first or second (take your choice) half of the season and he is ready to reach his potential vrs he will always be a one half season performer...

If Carlos doesn't break out this year, I don't believe he ever will. I think at one point I said that. Deja vu. Anyway, if he doesn't do it now, I'll stop defending him.

If Carlos doesn't break out this year, I don't believe he ever will.  I think at one point I said that.  Deja vu.  Anyway, if he doesn't do it now, I'll stop defending him.

Ditto, if he doesn't take some big steps forward this year he never will.

Also i think Garland needs to step up, he's had enough time in the majors to adjust and with his stuff there's no reason he can't win at least 15 games.

If Carlos doesn't break out this year, I don't believe he ever will.  I think at one point I said that.  Deja vu.  Anyway, if he doesn't do it now, I'll stop defending him.

Also i think Garland needs to step up, he's had enough time in the majors to adjust and with his stuff there's no reason he can't win at least 15 games.

Garland should, but he's too young to give up on if he doesn't do it yet.

If Carlos doesn't break out this year, I don't believe he ever will.  I think at one point I said that.  Deja vu.  Anyway, if he doesn't do it now, I'll stop defending him.

I agree.

Last season was Garland's first as a full-time starter, so he should have all the jitters out of his system. There really are no more excuses for him not to post a good ERA with a decent # of wins (he should win 15 or more with this offense and his talent).

:bringit MLB

I agree.

Last season was Garland's first as a full-time starter, so he should have all the jitters out of his system. There really are no more excuses for him not to post a good ERA with a decent # of wins (he should win 15 or more with this offense and his talent).

:bringit MLB

Agreed. But if he puts up a 3.75 15-10 season this year....don't think that that's what he'll do all the time. He'll put up much better numbers that in the future. With him being so young....I'm not sure he's fully matured. But he could still put up monstrous numbers. However, if Garland pitches well and becomes the great pitcher he has been hyped as possibly being....it's hard to believe it, but we would have a top 3 1-2-3 combo. Only Oakland and Arizona could have a better one. And we have a much better offense than both those teams, and probably a better bullpen too.

This could be a very special year

If Garland does break out this year, it will be a very special year.  I believe he is capable of doing it right now.  However, he's got to much upside to give up on him if he doesn't.

i agree on garland ..im not really expecting anything better than last year from him..most pitchers his age are still in the minors...so if he regresses a little it would be crazy to give up on him..lets not forget what happened when we gave up on kip...if you bring up a 20 year old to pitch..then you gotta live through his growing up

If KW decides to get rid of Garland for any reason in the next year or two, every Sox fan will want him hung. He is an amazing pitcher considering his age. What comes with growing up is skill; just imagine how much better and fine tuned he will be during, say, the 2005 season. I can't wait to see Garland in his prime. He will soon be one of the elite pitchers in the game.

If KW decides to get rid of Garland for any reason in the next year or two, every Sox fan will want him hung. He is an amazing pitcher considering his age. What comes with growing up is skill; just imagine how much better and fine tuned he will be during, say, the 2005 season. I can't wait to see Garland in his prime. He will soon be one of the elite pitchers in the game.

Just remember, Garland was headed to Anahiem for Erstad prior to last season.

Just remember, Garland was headed to Anahiem for Erstad prior to last season.

This is one reason i love disney, While Erstad is a great plyer... GARLAND IS GOING TO BE MUCH better...

Garland has what it takes... i believe when foulke was traded he said some great things about gar... if you would take note this spring his K's are way up and his walks are almost gone... hes taking the next big step... learning to throw strike one and just trust his stuff.

That will go down as probably the greatest move a manger didn't make....and KW isn't the one that pulled the plug on the deal either(this is, assuming Garland does pan out)

Here we are, complimenting KW on how well he did this past offseason, and how s***ty he did in the 2001-02 offseason. 10 years from now....the Garland-for-Erstad deal that wasn't will make the 2001-02 offseason look great, when in reality, it was probably one of the worst offseasons in recent history(trading wise)

That will go down as probably the greatest move a manger didn't make....and KW isn't the one that pulled the plug on the deal either(this is, assuming Garland does pan out)

Here we are, complimenting KW on how well he did this past offseason, and how s***ty he did in the 2001-02 offseason.  10 years from now....the Garland-for-Erstad deal that wasn't will make the 2001-02 offseason look great, when in reality, it was probably one of the worst offseasons in recent history(trading wise)

As I recall, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the deal was pretty much done until Anaheim backed out at the last second.

No?

Here we are, complimenting KW on how well he did this past offseason, and how s***ty he did in the 2001-02 offseason.  10 years from now....the Garland-for-Erstad deal that wasn't will make the 2001-02 offseason look great, when in reality, it was probably one of the worst offseasons in recent history(trading wise)

As I recall, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the deal was pretty much done until Anaheim backed out at the last second.

No?

Exactly...and that's the weird thing. KW will be given credit for not trading one of the best young pitchers in today's game to the Angels for Darin Erstad....yet, it was actually the Angels who pulled out.

It will either basically be KW getting a ton of credit, or the Angels who look like retards....though Erstad was key in them winning the Series.

Either scenario....the Sox look good because of the deal. And Garland wouldn't have looked good in Anaheim red

Here we are, complimenting KW on how well he did this past offseason, and how s***ty he did in the 2001-02 offseason.  10 years from now....the Garland-for-Erstad deal that wasn't will make the 2001-02 offseason look great, when in reality, it was probably one of the worst offseasons in recent history(trading wise)

No?

Exactly...and that's the weird thing. KW will be given credit for not trading one of the best young pitchers in today's game to the Angels for Darin Erstad....yet, it was actually the Angels who pulled out.

It will either basically be KW getting a ton of credit, or the Angels who look like retards....though Erstad was key in them winning the Series.

Either scenario....the Sox look good because of the deal. And Garland wouldn't have looked good in Anaheim red

I remember when I first heard about that deal and how it was pretty much a done deal. I was a little divided on it, because Erstad didn't have that great of a 2001 season (after a very good 2000), and neither did Jon. Looking back, even though, as you pointed out, Erstad was key in the Angles' WS win, I'm glad the deal didn't happen. Jon has the potential to be an ace a couple years from now. I just hope it'll be with the Sox.

I was divided on that deal also.  Erstad was exactly the type of player the Sox needed, but I sure hated to give up Garland.

Garland was rushed up to the majors... hes held his own... hes just begining his career... erstad has injuy concrens. we wouldnt have dished out the money to resign him.... the trade would have made our staff even worse...

I was divided on that deal also.  Erstad was exactly the type of player the Sox needed, but I sure hated to give up Garland.

Garland was rushed up to the majors... hes held his own... hes just begining his career... erstad has injuy concrens. we wouldnt have dished out the money to resign him.... the trade would have made our staff even worse...

I agree. But we now have proof that Garland can cut it in the majors. Last spring, we really didn't know. That's why I was unsure of this deal. As of now, I'm very glad the deal didn't go down.