Religious Experience?

Soxy

I went to my first unprogrammed Quaker meeting today--it was a really good experience--very centering. It was nice to sit and take an hour and just sit in communion with the Divine. Definitely cool.

I think if I were to pick my second favorite it would have been a Jewish Shabbat I went to a couple of times--it was nice and lots of reflection and it felt really intimate with the people I was with.

I've also enjoyed Hindu and Buddhist worships.

I was just wondering if anyone wanted to share some traditions or experiences they've had that really hit home...

i really enjoy the worship service at family harvest church in tinley park..they have a choir and band that is unbelievable...these are singers and musicians that could sing or jam with any rock band...its really spirit filled...anyone who likes good music would appreciate this worship team..the day i went kenneth copeland was a guest speaker..really cool experience

went to dr.summerall's church in south bend a few times...thats an awesome place to worship too..you can really feel the preseance of the Lord..

the church i go to now , abundant life in rolling meadows really helps keep me centered..just a small church that has its priorties in place...

ive checked out a lot of religions but the only place ive really felt welcome have been spirit filled churches

One of the best religious experiences was today when I read an amazingly beautiful theology paper. It made me feel alot better about myself, that I am crawling in the dark, looking for the answer in faith as well as other people are with me on finding their faith too.

I had a very interesting experience this weekend in my faith. I went to the "Catholic Youth Experience". It was an experience all right. Some parts were outstanding and very inspiring, but it was just way too much stuff IMHO. They only gave us about 5 hours to sleep and the rest of the time from Friday-Sunday evening we were somewhere doing some sort of religious "experience". For 18 hours a day we were out of our dorms and it was just way too much. I am exhausted from it, but overall it was an okay weekend.

Last week I was in Orlando the the LCMS National Youth Gathering. There were 35,000+ youth all of the same denomination of faith and we did a ton of cool stuff. It was an amazing and fun experience to say the least.

One of my friends was there. I haven't been able to talk to him since he got back cuz I've been gone, but we seemed excited for it. I'm sure he had a good time. :)

I went to my first unprogrammed Quaker meeting today--it was a really good experience--very centering. It was nice to sit and take an hour and just sit in communion with the Divine. Definitely cool.

I think if I were to pick my second favorite it would have been a Jewish Shabbat I went to a couple of times--it was nice and lots of reflection and it felt really intimate with the people I was with.

I've also enjoyed Hindu and Buddhist worships.

I was just wondering if anyone wanted to share some traditions or experiences they've had that really hit home...

Nothing beats the ol' Shabbat. :wub:

*Lamest post in this thread so far*

I am mostly non-religious, but every Christmas I go to the local Catholic Midnight Mass just to honor my Grandmother. I do quite enjoy it, the singing and the stories, nothing life changing but a nice way to spend my Christmas eve, evening I find.

I am mostly non-religious, but every Christmas I go to the local Catholic Midnight Mass just to honor my Grandmother.  I do quite enjoy it, the singing and the stories, nothing life changing but a nice way to spend my Christmas eve, evening I find.

Pretty much same here, go to church on Christmas with the family. We used to go a lot when I was younger, but we just don't have the time for it anymores.

I am mostly non-religious, but every Christmas I go to the local Catholic Midnight Mass just to honor my Grandmother.  I do quite enjoy it, the singing and the stories, nothing life changing but a nice way to spend my Christmas eve, evening I find.

Ditto.

The one thing I am looking forward to is Pre Cana that Brian and I have to attend next year. I have a feeling it will be interesting, if nothing else.

Pretty much same here, go to church on Christmas with the family. We used to go a lot when I was younger, but we just don't have the time for it anymores.

"Don't have the time for it..."

Well, then, maybe you'll soon find you have time enough... BURNING IN HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY!!

There, condemning another was my moving religious experience of the week. Puttin' the "fun" back into Fundamentalist Christian hate-mongering. :D

Ditto.

The one thing I am looking forward to is Pre Cana that Brian and I have to attend next year.  I have a feeling it will be interesting, if nothing else.

Sorry to burst the bubble... but it's not. The book is hysterical though. The questions are a bunch of hypothetical bs - as how in the heck do you know how you're going to react to something until it happens..? The answer to everything is... "we'll work it out together". Pre Cana is the biggest bunch of BS.

Sorry to burst the bubble... but it's not. The book is hysterical though. The questions are a bunch of hypothetical bs - as how in the heck do you know how you're going to react to something until it happens..? The answer to everything is... "we'll work it out together". Pre Cana is the biggest bunch of BS.

Exactly!

The funny part is the priest started asking some of them. First was "Who will handle the checkbook?" We look at each other and Brian says "she does."

The next one was, "What would you do if your spouse cheated on you?" Brian was about to say, dig a hole and throw her in, but he was afraid the priest wouldn't see the humor in it (that's what he and his brother kept saying they were going to do to Brian's ex-SIL). I told Brian if he cheated, I get custody of the Mercurys. That'll keep him in line! :D

Ang and I did a much more informal premarital counsiling, and it did bring up some good things we had never really thought about before. Plus we know the pastors family really well (we still volunteer with their youth group) so we had dinners and lots of fun over there as well.

Ang and I did a much more informal premarital counsiling, and it did bring up some good things we had never really thought about before.  Plus we know the pastors family really well (we still volunteer with their youth group) so we had dinners and lots of fun over there as well.

They offered a one on one type thing, but the priest said that the group setting is better (read: easier to get through, or at least that is how we took it).

Ang and I did a much more informal premarital counsiling, and it did bring up some good things we had never really thought about before.  Plus we know the pastors family really well (we still volunteer with their youth group) so we had dinners and lots of fun over there as well.

Jim and I do a great form of counseling too... it's called... real life. You take each day one at a time, and you communicate. You respect eachothers opinions.. (even though he is always wrong ;) ), and you are honest. That's a key to a good relationship.

Communication, respect, and honesty.

Jim and I do a great form of counseling too... it's called... real life. You take each day one at a time, and you communicate. You respect eachothers opinions.. (even though he is always wrong  ;) ), and you are honest. That's a key to a good relationship.

Communication, respect, and honesty.

:headbang

They offered a one on one type thing, but the priest said that the group setting is better (read: easier to get through, or at least that is how we took it).

And it's a lot faster. Plus.. there's bound to be some overzealous "Charlotte" (from Sex in the City) like chick in there that will answer all the questions so you guys won't even have to speak.. :lol: