From the Yankee Boards

Texsox

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Sandy is going to have an absolutely huge influence on Jose, JMHO.  I really hope to see Sandy behind the plate tomorrow.  Even next year, I hope that if Sandy does retire, he can become a coach.  IMHO, he'll be able to get through to Contreras a lot more than Coop will be able to.

I sure hope your right. Well, I guess we'll find out tomorrow! :cheers And, I'd too love to have Sandy as a coach when he retires. He's been around so long and knows so much.

All your questions are good ones and they only point to 1 answer.....they think/know that Contreras sux.

Why would a team which has not only playoff but WS hopes and is also desperate for starters give up on a guy if he was even a decent pitcher? They REALLY think he sux.

Why would they trade for a pitcher who sucks?

Your logic makes no sense.

ESPN news had a guy on from Baseball Prospectus around an hour ago, and he said that Contreras can't get out patient hitters. First pitch is ball one, and eventually they kill him. He said only three teams haven't hit him well this year, and one was the Diamondbacks - I've forgotten the other two, sorry. He did say, like some others, that Contreras could be a 30 save guy as a closer. He liked Esteban as an innings eater.

This is one of those trades that you can't really say you're right and they're wrong, in the short term. In the long term I'd much rather have Contreras, and I'm glad they pulled the trigger on this one.

I can't figure the Yankees view point.

Their pitching staff is weak enough that they had Tanyon Sturtze starting a game in May.

They sure didn't get a guy having a red hot year from us.

so what is tis all about anyway?

Not sure what was posted on other threads on this subject. Sorry if anything is repeated. My understanding is that Loaiza's #1 pitch is his cutter, which he has not thrown nearly as effective as last year. Mussina's down, Yanks need a starter. They couldn't get "Unit" and Steinbrenner always wants veterans in his rotation in the playoffs. Mariano Rivera's "out" pitch is his cutter. Yanks feel that Rivera can help Loaiza get back to form since the cutter is MR's specialty pitch.. They didn't want to wait and play around with Contreras anymore . They want to prepare for post season now.

On our side.... On ESPN 1000 it was stated that that Ozzie was rather tired of Loaiza's lackadasiness attitude. If Elo got bombed, Ozzie wasn't real pleased with how he responded with an "Oh Well....." demeanor. Ozzie wants an "I want to win NOW attitude from all his players.

The one thing positive that was mentioned was that Garcia, Buehrle, and Garland are control pitchers. If Coop can help this guy out, it will give us a power pitcher in our mix, with one of the best splitters in the A.L.

Torre mentioned that Contreras stuff great and dominating, but Loaiza has the better control overall.

Steinbrenner is not a patient man. Who knows how much input he had into unloading Contreras. Hopefull things will work out. We'll know in about 4 or 5 starts.

The one thing positive that was mentioned was that Garcia, Buehrle, and Garland are control pitchers. If Coop can help this guy out, it will give us a power pitcher in our mix, with one of the best splitters in the A.L.

Garland is not a control pitcher, most games he goes 2-3 straight batters were he feels he doesn't need to throw a strike.

If Ozzie is really tired of the 'Oh Well' demeanor on the team, why the Ef is Garland still here and Crede in the line up every day?

Same thought I had. With Garland, I'm sure Ozzie would put up with it since for the most part, he has done his job. His record does not reflect how he has pitched, whereas, Elo just isn't getting it done. I'm quite sure he's not happy with the CREDE scenario, I mean ...C'mon batting 190 in the month of July???? My guess would be, if someone was to go, it would be Elo to get us the kind of competitor that Ozzie wants, but also, I'm sure he's not too thrilled about Elo's 93 hits in his last 11 starts either. At the same time, what would be Elo's free agent price? 5,6 7 Milion?? Is he worth it?? Probably not, so Why not take a chance, and add some power to the rotation?

trading Garland and Crede would be ridiculous...

IMO Garland can become a #2 pitcher.. I think pretty soon here he is gonna have it all together and be one hell of a pitcher...

Crede will also turn it around.. no need to dump them

IMO Garland can become a #2 pitcher.. I think pretty soon here he is gonna have it all together and be one hell of a pitcher...

finally something we agree on. Damn, the guy is only 24 years old. Hasn't he been compared favorably to Kevin Brown? Brown was given up on way too early and didn't become a consistently good pitcher until he was 29 or 30. Let him learn and get better every year and I think this guy will turn into one hell of a pitcher. There aren't many guys out there that can come up and pitch in the majors at the age of 24 and this guy started at 20. he is a year older than Prior and 3 years younger than Wood and we consider this guy a never will be. Let him grow with us and continue to be our number 4 guy and he will one day be a #1 or 2. Some guys you just have to be patient with. Garland is one of those guys.

I agree! I never had any intentions or thoughts on hoping that either one would get traded. I was just making a comment that I heard on ESPN1000 that Ozzie isn't thrilled with overly laid back attitudes, especially that of Loaiza when he gets shelled. That was one of the reasons (according to ESPN 1000) that Ozzie wanted someone else.

Crede, I have some concerns about. Garland........a definate keeper. I believe in time, that Garcia, Buehrle, Garland, can be the next Maddux, Smolts, Glavine combo.

How could the Yankees not see that Loaiza was only hitting 87 as a high on the gun his last outing? Man, they must have been desparate, and whoever mentioned shades of Sirotka might be slightly right. He could go on the DL for the rest of the season by not disclosing to anyone if he is hurt. Nevertheless, he passed the physical.

That's the whole contention.

Ozzie has felt all the way back since spring training that Esteban has been holding back on his good stuff. Time, after time, after time he's been quoted that Loaiza has to start to pitch right.

Then at the All-Star game (managed by Joe Torre), he hit 93 mph.

Ozzie's side is if he could throw 93 in the all-star game why couldn't he throw 93 for us? Cooper also sounded mad on the radio at the time too.

I think the Yankee's are expecting the Esteban who threw in Houston while the Sox knew they wouldn't see it, healthy or not. They think they can fix Contreras and made the trade.

That's the whole contention. 

Ozzie has felt all the way back since spring training that Esteban has been holding back on his good stuff.  Time, after time, after time he's been quoted that Loaiza has to start to pitch right. 

Then at the All-Star game (managed by Joe Torre), he hit 93 mph. 

Ozzie's side is if he could throw 93 in the all-star game why couldn't he throw 93 for us?  Cooper also sounded mad on the radio at the time too.

I think the Yankee's are expecting the Esteban who threw in Houston while the Sox knew they wouldn't see it, healthy or not.  They think they can fix Contreras and made the trade.

If Loaiza really was holding back on his good stuff that is really messed up. He is one of my favorite sox players, or former sox player. Why is it that he was holding back?...(if in fact he was holding back)

If Loaiza really was holding back on his good stuff that is really messed up. He is one of my favorite sox players, or former sox player. Why is it that he was holding back?...(if in fact he was holding back)

I don't understand that either but he was hitting 93 during the all start game, i though it weird that he could suddenly get past 90.

I don't understand that either but he was hitting 93 during the all start game, i though it weird that he could suddenly get past 90.

Yeah, that really bothers me. I remember the anouncers saying that it was adrenaline....but i don't know thats quite a change.