Shyamalan Puts End to Disney's Drought

Yoda

1.) The Village $50,813,000

2.) The Bourne Supremacy $23,421,000

3.) The Manchurian Candidate $20,200,000

4.) I, Robot $10,050,000

5.) Spider-Man 2 $8,500,000

Yep, that will definately keep the shareholders from calling for Eisner's head for passing on the $100+ million box office receipts of Fahrenheit 9/11... ;)

I thought Eisner was already out.

Nosirree.

He was booted as Chairman in March but is still CEO. Not releasing F 9/11 was all Eisner, because he was worried about the wrath of Governer Jeb and losing some of the sweet deals Disney has in Florida if he backed a movie that ripped Brother George.

You think the shareholders care how much F-911 is making?

The amount of cash Eisner is making from the tax breaks Jeb is giving him will settle their tummies.

Where he will get it from is the animation department, by losing Pixar.

Unless he can turn around that area, he's a dead duck.

BTW, Pixar has one more film in their current deal with Disney.

It is called "Cars" and it opens November 2005.

You think the shareholders care how much F-911 is making?

The amount of cash Eisner is making from the tax breaks Jeb is giving him will settle their tummies.

Where he will get it from is the animation department, by losing Pixar.

Without a doubt, the Pixar blunder - along with the rogue movement headed by Roy Disney - cost him the Chairmanship, and may get him completely booted.

But Eisner's failings in the last decade are many, and the F 9/11 move is just the latest one.

Florida Theme Park Ops is just a small part of Disney/ABC/ESPN/GO Network, and I do think that the negative here is equally real in magnitude - in terms of alienating the Weinsteins and possibly prompting them to leave Miramax, in terms of letting the Bushes politicize the company's decision to kill the film, and in terms of Eisner generally demonstrating that he has become myopic and reactionary rather than groundbreaking or visionary.

I also think the danger that Jeb would have actually pulled some of the Disney incentives had they released the film is very overstated. Disney is obviously a huge employer in the state and any hits Disney took would result in more layoffs and pay cuts which would not help the state. Anything that caused the parks or resorts to raise prices would also hit the tourism economy.

Eisner was the key reason Jeff Katzenberg bailed on the Studio, and therefore the key reason their big animation hits have been Pixar's projects and not the traditional projects from the Burbank and Orkando studios. Eisner was the one who decided to pull the plug on the Orlando animation studio (and smaller outfits in Paris and Tokyo), even though that studio has had much more recent success with its projects (Mulan, Lilo and Stitch, Brother Bear). The move was because the Company was unhappy with the progress on the unfinished "A Few Good Ghosts," but meanwhile signs off on features that completely miss the core animation audience like Atlantis and Treasure Planet. Blech.

Did anyone see the Village?  Without spoilers, how was it?

I think I'm one of the few people here that is a fan of Signs and 6th Sense, so I think I'll see it regardless.

i saw it..i liked signs and sixth sense too....imo its better than signs but not as good as 6th sense...its not difficult to figure out the ending but it does have some interesting twists...giving it a letter grade = B