Commentary: Ten Things to Talk About

Chisoxfn

Commentary: Ten Things to Talk About

By Matt Michel

March 17, 2003

In the article, it's mentioned that the writer (Matt Michel) is not totally comfortable giving the ball to Tom Gordon. I don't see why not. He's only had 1 bad outing so far (where he gave up a grand slam - his only runs thus far this spring), and he's looked great in his others. He's struck out the side 2 times I think. 1 for sure. I think he'll be fine.

In the article, it's mentioned that the writer (Matt Michel) is not totally comfortable giving the ball to Tom Gordon.  I don't see why not. He's struck out the side 2 times I think.  1 for sure.  I think he'll be fine.

I feel better with JM giving the ball to the likes of a Gordon rather than who we had last year with Osuna.

It's written like a seventh grade civics paper. A list paper, no less.

"There have been a lot of positives, and there have been some negatives. Thus far, the camp hasn’t looked too overly positive, but not overly negative. It’s hard to get a good vibe on the team, but then again, it was also hard in 2000; and we all remember what happened then."

Three of the more useless sentences I've ever seen. Furthermore, we all know that spring training doesn't mean jack s*** when the real season starts. If the bullpen looks bad it could be for any number of reasons, one being that they are playing in Arizona.

We might as well talk about the color of Magglio's shoelaces, as they have as much importance as all of spring training.

It's written like a seventh gradfe civics paper. A list paper, no less.

"There have been a lot of positives, and there have been some negatives. Thus far, the camp hasn’t looked too overly positive, but not overly negative. It’s hard to get a good vibe on the team, but then again, it was also hard in 2000; and we all remember what happened then."

Three of the more useless sentences I've ever seen. Furthermore, we all know that spring training doesn't mean jack s*** when the real season starts. If the bullpen looks bad it could be for any number of reasons, one being that they are playing in Arizona.

We might as well talk about the color of Magglio's shoelaces, as they have as much importance as all of spring training.

yea lets talk about shoe laces that entertaining

Two other things i must add. Matt, I gotta disagree with you throwing Konerko as one of the players thats a defensive liability. He's one of the better defensive first baseman in the majors. He's great at turning the double play and he's good at picking balls and makes most the plays. Yes, he lacks range, but so does every first baseman in baseball, except Scott Spiezo and maybe JT Snow.

Also, as far as the bullpen goes, I think its one of the strongest areas of the team.

Glover - Fantastic Reliever, imo - this guy will prove a lot this season - great fastball, curve, change and uses the cutter a bit as well. We know he can't start, but we've seen this guy excell in the pen.

Flash - Lights out when healthy, nuff said. If he goes down, Ginter/Almonte are options or we could go with one of the two lefties Sanders/Munoz or even a longer guy like Stewart or Rauch. As far as Ginter he isn't slated to be a member of the pen and he may even go back to the rotation in AAA, where he excelled a couple years ago. I think Ginter may have his coming out party this year at the major league level.

White - Can't judge this guy on his spring stats. He's got better life on his fastball then I ever thought, and the curve's just don't break in Arizona, its why curve ball pitchers, and pitchers in general struggle in spring training. Get him back to Comiskey and he'll be fine. He's proven himself over the long haul with the exception to Coors, which no one has proven themselves at.

Koch - This guy is developing some offspeed stuff as you could see on Saturdays game where he wasn't really using his fastball at all. Control seems to be improving and last year he was lights out without control. This guy is still very young and should only get better. Could be best closer in majors by the end of the season. I think he has Percy potential, but hopefully not Percy's medical record.

Marte - Love this guy from the left side. He can get lefties or righties and flat out throws strikes

Wunsch - Very Very impressive this spring and he's proven he can get lefties out, which is what his job is. Look at 2000 and I don't really think it was a out of nowhere year. Last year he did the job when he finally got healthy and he should only be better a year removed from the injury.

To me I'm very confident in all of them, especially if they are all healthy. Can anyone name other teams with a pen this deep. Plus you have Munoz, Sanders, and Almonte all considered very good relief prospect down in the minors.

Hey ... i just wanna say that i hate frank thomas.. and he doesnt' deserve to be getting paid what he is.. or league minimum

Let's see...

.314 career batting average

376 career HR

1285 career RBI

.432 career OBP

.568 career SLG%

1.000 career OBPS

1286 career Walks (compared to 962 K's -- 324 more walks than K's)

2-time league MVP

Future Hall of Famer

Yeah, you're right, he should be making the league minimum.

Before you post in the future, I suggest you read what you typed first. Otherwise, you might say something completely f***ing stupid.

And I suggest you start liking Frank. He's perhaps the biggest key to success this season. See 2000.

It's written like a seventh gradfe civics paper. A list paper, no less.

yea lets talk about shoe laces that entertaining

yeh you miss the point of everything why don't you go back to your precious bong.

In the article, it's mentioned that the writer (Matt Michel) is not totally comfortable giving the ball to Tom Gordon.  I don't see why not. He's struck out the side 2 times I think.  1 for sure.  I think he'll be fine.

I feel better with JM giving the ball to the likes of a Gordon rather than who we had last year with Osuna.

MM.....while it is OK for you to not be comfortable with giving the ball to Gordon on a regular basis....you do have to remember what Killa pointed out.....we had Osuna last year. I'm 15 years old, and I was reaching for the Tums.

Otherwise....it was a pretty good article. I disagree on the bullpen....but agree on everything else.

That's fine.... Just food for thought though, Tom Gordon's career ERA is 4.11 while Osuna's is 3.56. Gordon's career best ERA is 2.72, Osuna's 2.19. In 2002, Gordon had a 3.38 ERA, and only threw 42.2 IP, with the Cubs and Astros. His last year in the American League, with Boston in 1998, he put up a 5.60. Osuna... a 3.86...

Sorry, I still don't feel completely secure with Gordon...

i worery about gordon's past attitude problems more than his pitching..if koch blows a few saves gordon will be screaming that "i should be the closer"

After what Koch did last season in Oakland, and Gordon starts to mouth off like that, there will be some tension. Gordon was signed as a set-up man/reliever and that's where he will stay. I don't think he has a reason to talk about wanting to be the closer when Koch is around, because it ain't going to happen.

i worery about gordon's past attitude problems more than his pitching..if koch blows a few saves gordon will be screaming that "i should be the closer"

After what Koch did last season in Oakland, and Gordon starts to mouth off like that, there will be some tension. Gordon was signed as a set-up man/reliever and that's where he will stay. I don't think he has a reason to talk about wanting to be the closer when Koch is around, because it ain't going to happen.

i know that..lets just hope gordon does :huh:

Matt, those were some good stats. I never knew that about Osuna. I watched him a lot down here when he was with the Dodgers and when healthy he's pretty filthy, but so is Flash. Watched him a lot that year with the Cubs when he was healthy and wow was he impressive. Tons of k's, few hits, and most every game was routine for him.

I'd say when healthy both of them are damn good, BUT, I'd almost say Osuna is more prone to injury then Flash, although you can't be counting on either of them.

Matt, those were some good stats.  I never knew that about Osuna.  I watched him a lot down here when he was with the Dodgers and when healthy he's pretty filthy, but so is Flash.  Watched him a lot that year with the Cubs when he was healthy and wow was he impressive.  Tons of k's, few hits, and most every game was routine for him. 

I'd say when healthy both of them are damn good, BUT, I'd almost say Osuna is more prone to injury then Flash, although you can't be counting on either of them.

Regardless...another thing to look at is their salaries....Osuna will make $2.5 mill or so this year....and he will put up, at best, like a high 2.00s, low 3.00s ERA....and that is at his very best. At Gordon's very best....he will put up a low-to-high 2.00s ERA....and he will make about $750,000. That is a pretty big difference.

Isn't Flash due to get 1.5 million?

I'm pretty sure that's his option for next year.

I'll see if I can find it.

Witesoxfan, when you get down on someone you don't let up. LOL All I know is when Osuna came in to pitch, I felt reasonably confident that he would do a good job, and most of the time he did.

marte would get it before gordon