Gammons 2k5 free agent outlook

southsider2k5

Guys I am sorry but I don't believe KW is going after a frontline starter in the offseason. Actually I think its going to be the same as usual, got the first four guys, find a 5th in ST within the organization. I am hoping it won't end up like that but I just can't see us signing a guy who has shown he can get the job done.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be hard for us to sign a new closer,

Benitez is one of the top prizes in a weak free-agent bullpen market. The Angles' RHP Troy Percival and Indians' RHP Bob Wickman figure to be the other closers available. "The bullpen market is horrible," one G.M. says. "There are not five guys I'd like to sign off that list." ...

Totally Agree...Jaret Wright would be best served to stay with the Braves or he most likely watch his career talespin back downward...Leo Mazzone is a magician with mediocre pitchers

You just figured out the secret......... screw free agent pitchers, hire Mazzone away from the Braves..... pay HIM millions and let him work with our mediocre pitchers!

:lol:

I like the idea of Lowe.......... IF and only IF you shore up the infield D. I don't think it is any mystery he has started pitching well because the RSox added Mient. and Cabrera to their infield. He was historically much better when Pokey Reese played 2B rather than Todd Walker or others......

Hate to say it, but he would fit right into the Minnesota team...........

I like the idea of Lowe.......... IF and only IF you shore up the infield D.  I don't think it is any mystery he has started pitching well because the RSox added Mient. and Cabrera to their infield.  He was historically much better when Pokey Reese played 2B rather than Todd Walker or others......

Hate to say it, but he would fit right into the Minnesota team...........

I read a stat last year that when Lowe was starting and Walker was in the field, Lowe's ERA was over 5.00. When Damian Jackson was playing, his ERA was around 2.75 or so.

Take that FWIW.

I read a stat last year that when Lowe was starting and Walker was in the field, Lowe's ERA was over 5.00.  When Damian Jackson was playing, his ERA was around 2.75 or so. 

Take that FWIW.

I think it was Pokey Reese, not Damian Jackson....... but that is exactly the point I was trying to make... the difference was huge.

You just figured out the secret.........    screw free agent pitchers, hire Mazzone away from the Braves.....  pay HIM millions and let him work with our mediocre pitchers!

:lol:

That's for sure. Mazzone has proven for over a decade just how good he is at what he does. If they every open the door of the HOF to pitching coaches, Mazzone and Johnny Sain should first in line to get in.

Before some of you are too quick to dismiss Jaret Wright, he finally may have learned how to pitch, rather than throw, from Mazzone. It would be a gamble but it might be worthwhile if he comes cheap enough. He's relatively young and does have that cannon hanging from his shoulder.

A good idea in theory, but, if JR wouldn't pay for a major league manager, why would he pay for a major league pitching coach?

Because it would be a lot cheaper than paying millions to players who flop??

I know it is not realistic, and the idea was meant to be half in jest....... but it is not a bad idea if you really examine it.

Pavano>Pedro but that's jmo.  Anyways I think everyone already knows I want Pavano on the team real bad.  I'll guarantee you guys Pavano is a stud for the next couple of years just like he was this year, I'll guarantee it. :D

I'm just not sure how Pavano would adjust.

He has had great success pitching in a huge park that is very favorable to pitcher's, and he has pitched in the NL...with Freddy Garcia, we atleast knew that he had pitched in the AL before(as in his entire career), and Garcia has not been spectacular with us(then again, a huge blowup or two, and your ERA will be around 4.79, considering he's only thrown about 80 innings with us). I'm just not sold on Pavano, and I'm especially leery about him, due to the fact that his first good year is in his FA year.

Pedro shares atleast one thing with Pavano...they've both been injury prone before. Other then that, you know for a fact what you will and what you will not get with Pedro. You will not get a guy who will go out and throw you all kinds of innings...you have to be very careful with him, due to his injury proneness(and spending $15-$17 mill a year on a pitcher Ozzie could f*** up in 1 month is something you have to be careful about). However, he has pitched in the AL for quite some time now, he has pitched in a very good hitter's park for quite some time now, he's had to face the Yankees on numerous occassions(and the AL Central's offenses are cupcakes compared to the Yankees offense), and he has pitched in some huge games before(and has blown a huge game or two in his day two...*coughGradyLittlecough*).

Not saying I don't like Pavano...I would just much, much, much rather have Pedro.

If it were me, and I signed Derek Lowe, it'd be as a closer. He's probably the best closer out there on the market, LOL.

Too bad he wants to start. Sort of like all those actors ... "my real passion is directing". :bang

Welcome.

And I think you might be suprised.  I have heard that he might end up in Detriot. If that was the case, whats stoping him from coming here? Ya know? I also like Lowe at 4, but his price tag scares me a bit.

Lowe will probably be headed to the Phillies or Tiggies this offseason, or stay with the Red Sox.

Odalis Perez is a risk considering the amount of innings he's thrown this season, but I think he's almost got the most potential out of most of the FA starters on the market. Another lefty in the rotation would be nice too.

Odalis Perez is a risk considering the amount of innings he's thrown this season, but I think he's almost got the most potential out of most of the FA starters on the market. Another lefty in the rotation would be nice too.

KW is really high on him. I hope we get him cause i know we'll be in the running. :)