Randar's Question Answered

DBAHO

Q:  Randar from FutureSox.com asks:

Jim, for the White Sox top 5 propsects, how would you rate them? McCarthy, Anderson, Sweeney, Fields, Young? 

A:  Jim Callis: Those are the five guys. I'd probably go Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweeney, Josh Fields, Brandon McCarthy, Chris Young.

Yeah, I was reading over the transcript yesterday afternoon, I just figured it was here already, or else I would of posted it.

Hmm, I would of ranked them in this order, personally.

1. Anderson

2. McCarthy

3. Sweeney

4. Fields

5. Young

Though, I could interchange Sweeney and Fields, and be perfectly fine. If Young could ever work his average to the .280-.290 range, he would be right around Anderson wouldn't he? Young has more power and speed, though Anderson plays superior defense. And Anderson has decent speed too, I think.

Yeah, I was reading over the transcript yesterday afternoon, I just figured it was here already, or else I would of posted it.

Hmm, I would of ranked them in this order, personally.

1.  Anderson

2.  McCarthy

3.  Sweeney

4.  Fields

5.  Young

Though, I could interchange Sweeney and Fields, and be perfectly fine.  If Young could ever work his average to the .280-.290 range, he would be right around Anderson wouldn't he?  Young has more power and speed, though Anderson plays superior defense.  And Anderson has decent speed too, I think.

As of right now, I would rate them exactly the same way.

I hope these injuries Anderson has are minor, I've read they are nothing to worry about. He's had his share of injuries thus far in a young career, I hope it's not a trend.

Both Sweeney and Fields came on strong at year's end which is a good sign. I really liked what I saw of Sweeney in Tucson, he is a cool cucumber.

As for Chris Young, you can tell there's talent. I like that he walks a lot, don't like all those strikeouts though. 150+ is a ton of strikeouts, he either needs to learn to recognize the breaking stuff or he'll never advance far. He's very young though, so there's time.

As of right now, I would rate them exactly the same way.

I hope these injuries Anderson has are minor, I've read they are nothing to worry about.  He's had his share of injuries thus far in a young career, I hope it's not a trend.

Both Sweeney and Fields came on strong at year's end which is a good sign.  I really liked what I saw of Sweeney in Tucson, he is a cool cucumber.

As for Chris Young, you can tell there's talent.  I like that he walks a lot, don't like all those strikeouts though.  150+ is a ton of strikeouts, he either needs to learn to recognize the breaking stuff or he'll never advance far.  He's very young though, so there's time.

But like you said - at least he walks. I can take a guy who will strike out a lot, but who will also walk his fair share of times as well.

Besides that - how is Young's swing? Is he more of a gap-to-gap guy, or does he project to be more of a power hitter?

Or if he wanted to be a smart ass moron ...  :rolly

why where is reed?????????? isn't he still with the sox?????

oh s***, i was thinking of something witty and funny to redeem myself here, but f*** it.

i screwed up and yes i did mention wing. i was wrong b/c i forgot something and i talked thru my arse on this. i feel like an idiot here.

damn

oh well shoot me.

:banghead

but i still stand by what i meant on how a prospect is rated. i was making the rating on how and who is going to make it to the majors in that order.

i have always had a problem of the prospect ratings, are they rated based on overall talent or are they based on the ascending order of those who is going to make it to the majors.

why where is reed?????????? isn't he still with the sox?????

oh s***, i was thinking of something witty and funny to redeem myself here, but f*** it.

i screwed up and yes i did mention wing. i was wrong b/c i forgot something and i talked thru my arse on this. i feel like an idiot here.

damn

oh well shoot me.

:banghead

but i still stand by what i meant on how a prospect is rated. i was making the rating on how and who is going to make it to the majors in that order.

i have always had a problem of the prospect ratings, are they rated based on overall talent or are they based on the ascending order of those who is going to make it to the majors.

I don't think he was talking to you LDF...

Actually, numbesr wise, you could very easily make the case that Wing was the better prospect. I'm just talking straight numbers, he was absolutely dominant at Winston Salem last year. Insanely low number of hits to innnings pitched and a good strikeout rate (albeit not as good as Honel's).

oh i know that, i hit the wrong button, but i know or i hope jim know i wasn't flaming him and the only one i was ref to is me.................

but just in case, i am sorry for that jim.  :crying

:headbang

I knew that LDF, I knew you were just goofin' :D

Actually, numbesr wise, you could very easily make the case that Wing was the better prospect.  I'm just talking straight numbers, he was absolutely dominant at Winston Salem last year.  Insanely low number of hits to innnings pitched and a good strikeout rate (albeit not as good as Honel's).

Jason, what have you heard from your sources on Wing's surgery? Was it a labrum, or something else?

Any prognosis, or indication of how he's coming along?

Sox really liked him, I hope he can come back. And yes, I would agree that a case could be made for him having an even higher ceiling than Honel.

i'd rate them this way -- in terms of how quickly they will make it to bigs

1. McCarthy -- we fast track pitchers.

2. Anderson -- older, played at higher level.

3. Fields -- Crede gets one more year to get it together.

4. Sweeney -- Greg Walker loves him.

5. Young -- longest way to go.

but if I had to rate them in terms of projecting.

1. McCarthy -- love that strikeout to walk ratio.

2. Sweeney -- Greg Walker loves him and not many 19 year old finish second in the league in hits at high A

3. Young -- love a guy who can run and hit for power.

4. Anderson -- I worry about his string of injuries.

5. Fields -- not a fan of football players who miss important development time and whiff too much.

Can someone give some info on Young?  I'm not familiar with this guy.  Position, age, tools, LH vs RH, etc?

Chris Young is the starting CF for Kanny this season. He was drafted in the 18th round in the 2002 draft from Bellaire High School. He just turned 21 last week. He hits and throws right. He's a classic tools prospect who's hitting .262 with 24 HR's and 31 SB's. However he has 66 BB's and 145 K's. Long term, if all goes well he could become a Mike Cameron type of guy in center field.

Chris Young is the starting CF for Kanny this season. He was drafted in the 18th round in the 2002 draft from Bellaire High School. He just turned 21 last week. He hits and throws right. He's a classic tools prospect who's hitting .262 with 24 HR's and 31 SB's. However he has 66 BB's and 145 K's. Long term, if all goes well he could become a Mike Cameron type of guy in center field.

Thank you. Looks like all this guy needs is to improve his eye and discipline. He has plenty of time to do both.

Thank you.  Looks like all this guy needs is to improve his eye and discipline.  He has plenty of time to do both.

Yeah pretty much, here's what Phil Rogers thought of him before this season;

Q:  JT from Guthrie OK asks:

Phil. I've heard that Chris young is sorta a cross between Dee Brown on the low side and young Fred McGriff on the high side is this very accurate? Thanks James 

A:  Phil Rogers: I'm not sure I see him as either. If I was picking an old Blue Jay, I'd say Devon White. Speed is his best tool but the ball jumps off his bat. He is a plus center fielder. He's very, very raw. Let's see what he looks like a year from now.

If Young works on his arm and his eye at the plate, he could be our best prospect next year in my opinion. I'm shocked at how much power he developed over the offseason. He was pretty much a slap hitter after being drafted, but everyone was still high on him, saying he could be the steal of our draft. Hopefully Sweeney can develop that power this offseason :lol: .

As for being concerned about Young's K's. I'm not as concerned about him because of the high amount of walks he takes also. With Fields, he really caught on and turned it on big time the last month and a half or so of the season. I'm gonna be interested to see if his K numbers decrease significantly next year or if he's on a similar track as Borchard because of football.

Never ask Jim Callis a question about the minors. The only thing he does is shove his head straight up the Cubs organization's ass. Yeah, let's have Anderson, Sweeney and Fields above McCarthy, intelligent.

I asked him several questions in regards to the POY, but he didn't answer those....

:huh