Emerging Everyday South Side Stars

3E8

The following is a personal assesment of complete surprise players from the 2004 season. In my humble opinion, these guys should start everyday in 2005 because they will fit perfectly into our new style of play.

Aaron Rowand

He can hit, he can slug, he can field, he can run, he can throw. He's a complete stud. Not much to say that everyone here already doesn't agree about. Biggest and best surprise of 2004 season.

REPLACES: Vacancy Sox have had in CF for quite awhile.

Juan Uribe

One word: exciting. Watching him make a play on a routine ground ball is fun! The beginning of the season (and lately) proves to us this guy can hit the hell out of the ball. Above average defense too. Oh yeah, he's only 25. He will get better with age.

REPLACES: Jose Valentin at SS.

Timo Perez

The more I see him play, the more I like. It's hard to deny that Timo has definitely brought a level of intensity that the Sox sometimes lack. Best hitter with RISP in the league. It seems like he is always super-clutch. Does all the little things very well too (bunt, sacrfice, baserunning). A little lazy defensively at times, but does have a cannon. Come on Timo! Come on Timo!

REPLACES: Loss of Magglio Ordonez to FA in RF

Ben Davis, Jamie Burke

Both of these guys flourished after the Sox resurrected them from AAA. Davis is showing the potential everyone has been waiting for, and Jamie Burke is a hit-machine, batting close to .400. Davis is solid behind the plate, calling good games and throwing out runners. Burke's gamecalling is respectable too, but needs a little work. They are both obviously willing to work with coaches and take advice, which is nice to see. Their emergance into the majors has really been something to behold.

REPLACES: Loss of Miguel Olivo to trade, Sandy Alomar to age, at C.

Ross Gload

I know everyone's against me on this one, but I think Gload is an everyday major league baseball player. He's proven that he can swing the stick, batting .300 this year, while averaging even better with runners on base. You can't get enough clutch. Ross is a liability in the outfield, which is why he should start at first. This is his original position and he's fielded it quite well this year. For such inconsistent playing time, it's hard to ignore what Gload's done offensively. Look what happened to Rowand with an everyday start...

REPLACES: Loss of Paul Konerko to trade (trust me) at 1B.

Willie Harris

This one I'm really on the fence about. Willie probably doesn't deserve to be on this list, but he's shown sparks of greatness several times throughout the year. Held a .320 batting average, awesome speed, flashed some leather. He needs to pick up the consistency though. Seems like he'll have one tremendous game a week, then slip into mediocrity, and start feeling sorry for himself. If we can get the Willie next year with confidence in his abilities, then he could potentially start everyday.

REPLACES: Underachieving self of 2004 at 2B.

Well there's my list. I wish I could put Crede on it, but I can't. I don't know what the Sox should/will do with him next year. Some young Sox pitchers have made good impressions this year, but I mainly wanted to focus on position players. Cotts, Adkins, Diaz, they've all shown some promise. But I mainly think with this core of young and talented starters, the Sox could be in business next year. They bring a new style that isn't about home runs and slow feet. It's about base hits, speed, and playing the game right. Combine them with knowledgable veterans (Thomas, Lee, Everett, 3B free agent?) and HOPEFULLY a free agent starting pitcher, and 2005 could be the most exciting year we've had in a long time.

Timo Perez

The more I see him play, the more I like.  It's hard to deny that Timo has definitely brought a level of intensity that the Sox sometimes lack.  Best hitter with RISP in the league.  It seems like he is always super-clutch.  Does all the little things very well too (bunt, sacrfice, baserunning).  A little lazy defensively at times, but does have a cannon.  Come on Timo!  Come on Timo!

REPLACES:  Loss of Magglio Ordonez to FA in RF

I would f***ing shoot KW if I have to see Timo f***ing Perez in Right Field next season....

Since the ASB (when Timo has gotten the most playing time) Timo only ranks ahead of 10 players in all of baseball (minimum 100AB's) in runs created. That's 263rd out of 273 players.

His OPS, the most often used simple guide for offensive production, is the same 263rd out of the qualified 273 players --- That f***er is terrible...

Ok he has a good outfield arm, but his range is pitiful. RF is an offensive position and Timo Perez is the 'broken clock' of baseball. You just fail to realize that you only take notice when he's right not the overwhelming amount of time that he's wrong.

This is a guy, who on his career fails to reach base 70% of the time. And you want that f***er playing RF? you're impressed by a few slap f***ing hits and lucky "clutch" hits? You want a guy with a career OPS+ of 87 playing RF? :puke

I f***ing Hate Timo Perez

EDIT: I just did a little checking. The average AL RF'er has an OPS of .786. Timo's? .642 -- That works out to an OPS+ of 81 as a RFer. :puke

Edited by The Cheat

IMHO:

With the exception of Aaron Rowand and the two-headed catcher, everyone else on that list is a bench player on a decent team.

If the Sox have to start all of them ( Uribe, Harris, Perez and Gload ), that will spell BAD NEWS for the 2005 Chicago White Sox. You could MAYBE start 2 of them every day and be a decent team, but not all 4.

No one on that list except Rowand ( and maybe Harris - a BIG maybe ) could be an everyday RF on a good club.

...now I'm depressed....thanks ;) .....

IMHO:

With the exception of Aaron Rowand and the two-headed catcher, everyone else on that list is a bench player on a decent team.

If the Sox have to start all of them ( Uribe, Harris, Perez and Gload ), that will spell BAD NEWS for the 2005 Chicago White Sox. You could MAYBE start 2 of them every day and be a decent team, but not all 4.

No one on that list except Rowand ( and maybe Harris - a BIG maybe ) could be an everyday RF on a good club.

...now I'm depressed....thanks  ;) .....

I know I will be in the minority here, but I would almost go with the lineup as he suggested (minus Timo). For the last 4 years, the Sox have been straddling the fence, trying to acquire players to make a run for the playoffs, while at the same time, slowing down the development of some young players.

The Twins are winning because they were patient with guys like Koskie, Radke, Milton, Hunter etc. Granted to let the "kids" play, you will probably have another year similar to this one, or even a bit worse. But a year like that could allow Garland and Crede to finally get it going. It could allow Willie to develop comfortably. It would give the Sox an opportunity to see if Uribe is the long term answer at SS. It would allow some of the other pitchers to develop, guys like Cotts, Munoz, Bajenaru, etc. They would probably find that not all of them are Major Leaguers, but they may allow guys to develop that may not have if you keep them in AAA or limit their roles.

If the Sox stay on the current path of trading away prospects for veterans, they are likely to get the same results. They need to step up the budget and try to put together a winner now, going for it all (which isn't likely to happen, nor would winning be guaranteed) or step back, let some of the kids develop and build a new core for the next 5 years. The core of this team is old.

My problem with KW is in this area. I don't think he has a plan for anything more than each season. I think he does everything he can to win for THAT season, not worrying about the next year or the next 3 years. It hasn't gotten us anywhere now and it is likely only to set us back a year or two down the road.

No way in hell Timo is in right next year.

I agree with you about Gload but not to replace Konerko. Why would we even think about Konerko. Imagine what kind of numbers he would have this year if Maggs and Frank were in the lineup this year hitting in front of him.

Also would rather see Valdez at SHORTSTOP next year.(I don't know what Ozzie was thinking playing him at second in that Ranger game.)

I know I will be in the minority here, but I would almost go with the lineup as he suggested (minus Timo).  For the last 4 years, the Sox have been straddling the fence, trying to acquire players to make a run for the playoffs, while at the same time, slowing down the development of some young players. 

The Twins are winning because they were patient with guys like Koskie, Radke, Milton, Hunter etc.  Granted to let the "kids" play, you will probably have another year similar to this one, or even a bit worse.  But a year like that could allow Garland and Crede to finally get it going.  It could allow Willie to develop comfortably.  It would give the Sox an opportunity to see if Uribe is the long term answer at SS.    It would allow some of the other pitchers to develop, guys like Cotts, Munoz, Bajenaru, etc.  They would probably find that not all of them are Major Leaguers, but they may allow guys to develop that may not have if you keep them in AAA or limit their roles.

If the Sox stay on the current path of trading away prospects for veterans, they are likely to get the same results.  They need to step up the budget and try to put together a winner now, going for it all (which isn't likely to happen, nor would winning be guaranteed) or step back, let some of the kids develop and build a new core for the next 5 years.  The core of this team is old. 

My problem with KW is in this area.  I don't think he has a plan for anything more than each season.  I think he does everything he can to win for THAT season, not worrying about the next year or the next 3 years.  It hasn't gotten us anywhere now and it is likely only to set us back a year or two down the road.

I have no problem trying young players, just not those particular players.

Willie may have some upside, but I don't like the thought of Timo or Gload everyday, and Uribe I'm on the fence about. I wouldn't be TOO upset about him playing everyday, but I wouldn't be jumping for joy either.

When some of the kids in the low minors are deemed "ready", I'm all for giving them a shot.

Gload I could POSSIBLY see as the 1B if Konerko is dealt for a front-of-the-rotation starter, but where else could he play everyday?

Timo Perez is a very good substitute OF'er. A true #4 guy, but not a starter. Borchard has been a terrible disappointment even though he has shown some tremendous power potential with a 500 plus foot homer. Do we give him the shot next year? I am resigned to losing Magglio Ordonez because I think that the Yankees or Mets will sign him with San Diego being an outside chance. Next year might be Joe B's make or break season.

I am not hapy with our bullpen regardless of what Ozzie thinks about them. They give up too many homers and too often let the first batter on base. I think there is a decent nucleus there though. I would like to see a real stud closer and a middle reliever brought in over the winter. A good fifth starter wouldn't hurt, but maybe Grilli or Diaz will step up and take that. I am not sold on Schoenweis.

I know I will be in the minority here, but I would almost go with the lineup as he suggested (minus Timo).  For the last 4 years, the Sox have been straddling the fence, trying to acquire players to make a run for the playoffs, while at the same time, slowing down the development of some young players. 

The Twins are winning because they were patient with guys like Koskie, Radke, Milton, Hunter etc.  Granted to let the "kids" play, you will probably have another year similar to this one, or even a bit worse.  But a year like that could allow Garland and Crede to finally get it going.  It could allow Willie to develop comfortably.  It would give the Sox an opportunity to see if Uribe is the long term answer at SS.    It would allow some of the other pitchers to develop, guys like Cotts, Munoz, Bajenaru, etc.  They would probably find that not all of them are Major Leaguers, but they may allow guys to develop that may not have if you keep them in AAA or limit their roles.

If the Sox stay on the current path of trading away prospects for veterans, they are likely to get the same results.  They need to step up the budget and try to put together a winner now, going for it all (which isn't likely to happen, nor would winning be guaranteed) or step back, let some of the kids develop and build a new core for the next 5 years.  The core of this team is old. 

My problem with KW is in this area.  I don't think he has a plan for anything more than each season.  I think he does everything he can to win for THAT season, not worrying about the next year or the next 3 years.  It hasn't gotten us anywhere now and it is likely only to set us back a year or two down the road.

I agree with you 100%. KW has no plan.

I would f***ing shoot KW if I have to see Timo f***ing Perez in Right Field next season....

Timo, Everett, or Borchard.

Pick your poison.

As you know, it's not always about getting on base either. Timo by far leads the White Sox in productive out percentage, and is 12th in the AL. That's what I think we need on this team, guys willing to play the game right, instead throwing out their back swinging for the fences. Uribe is 2nd on the team in productive outs, Rowand is 3rd.

let some of the kids develop and build a new core for the next 5 years.  The core of this team is old. 

The core of this team is Konerko (age 28), Carlos Lee (age 28), Joe Crede (age 26), Aaron Rowand (age 27), Magglio Ordonez (age 30), Frank Thomas (age 36), Mark Buehrle (age 25), and Freddy Garcia (age 29).

Hardly what I'd call old. If you want to throw Jose Valentin in there, ok, he's 35 and on the way out after his atrocious season this year.

I have issues with KW too, but to say he plans only for one year at a time, well, that's ignoring several of the moves he's made.

He traded for Olivo knowing they'd need a catcher. He traded for Harris. He traded for Uribe knowing there was no SS prospect waiting in the wings. He traded for Marte when they had a productive Wunsch and everybody said "huh?".

They let Gordon go and got high draft picks, then signed Shingo for peanuts.

He does try to do everything he can to win now. I want no less from my GM. I have issues with amateur scouting and minor league instruction, but he's gotten several young, undervalued players from other organizations and given them chances to grow here. He sticks with guys through growing pains ... some rightfully so (Carlos Lee, Konerko's bad year in '03), and the jury is out on others (Garland, Borchard to name two).

But I hate to disappoint people here ... listen to what Guillen and KW are saying, they're going to build around pitching, and change the makeup of the team toward more speed and defense. That does not translate to full time roles for Timo, Ross Gload, and all these reserves. They would not have locked up three good starting pitchers if they intended to shift back into rebuilding mode.

They'll continue to try and win every year and make moves accordingly, and I want nothing less. The key is to mix in the right young players, the ones who know how to play the game. If that's from within or from another organization, doesn't matter to me.

But I hate to disappoint people here ... listen to what Guillen and KW are saying, they're going to build around pitching, and change the makeup of the team toward more speed and defense.  That does not translate to full time roles for Timo, Ross Gload, and all these reserves.  They would not have locked up three good starting pitchers if they intended to shift back into rebuilding mode.

So do you think trades will be made this offseason for these types of players? Or that JR will possibly open up his checkbook?

So do you think trades will be made this offseason for these types of players?  Or that JR will possibly open up his checkbook?

3E8, to answer your first question, yes.

To answer your 2nd question, I'd say yes to a certain degree, not as much as fans would like to see.

3E8, to answer your first question, yes.

To answer your 2nd question, I'd say yes to a certain degree, not as much as fans would like to see.

It's kind of exciting to speculate who we may be able to trade for, although it will be sad to see Pauly or Carlos potentially leaving the South Side.

Jim, I agree with you to a point, but I don't completely.

Maggs is all but gone. Frank is winding down his career. Rowand just had his first good year and just earned full-time player status. Calling him part of the "core" might be a bit premature. Most Sox fans want Crede out the door, although I don't think they will nor should give up on him. Having Buehrle and Garcia is good.

I am not saying they should punt, but that they should give guys room to breathe like Willie and Crede. If they think Uribe can play SS full-time, then give him that chance. I never meant that all of their reserves deserve a starting role. But some of the pitchers need a chance.

I still don't see the planning for the future to any organized degree. Yes they picked up Freddy and got him signed. That was good. I am not convinced they got Uribe because they had no SS prospects. They had two 2B and no utility infielders. The Uribe deal was to fill a need this year and if he turned into a starter down the road, that is a bonus.

I am not saying there shouldn't be any free agent signings or trades. But to dump your minor league depth every June or July and never get results is very short-sighted to me. And don't give me the argument that "none of the players we traded have done well" because that doesn't fly. You hurt your overall organization when you have no depth. You make it harder to develop quality players or put more pressure on a select few when you have no depth. I am still quite confident that the first Everett trade will come back to bite him in the ass, but it will take a few years to really see the effects of that deal.

I am not an "all prospects" kind of guy. I do believe that part of the purpose for the Minor League system is to use those players to obtain Major League players. But I just don't like the direction the Sox are headed right now.

Rex, I agree on Rowand but he's been so good this year I gave him the benefit of the doubt and put him in the core.

Maggs and Frank, agree. It's gotten to the point they need a Plan B for DH, on the roster vs. having to go out and get one every year, i.e. Everett. And I think acquiring him was exactly for that reason, and of course to try and win this year. They knew he had the player option for $4M, not a huge number. They also know Frank has a big time foot issue, certainly one that can flare up. So with this particular Everett deal, I do see it as a combination of "going for it" and planning ahead.

With Uribe, KW came out when the deal was made and said they were looking long term with him. He specifically mentioned SS, long term. So that was no secret they wanted him in the grooming role. KW was set on Harris at 2B as far back as last winter. He got quite animated about it at SoxFest, as many here will attest to.

I totally agree on the farm system thing and your point about trading depth. When you trade that many prospects, even if they're not gonna ever make it, it still has a negative ripple affect on the entire system. They want to teach guys to win, and talent goes out the door. That affects attitude, mindset, chemistry. It can and does put people in positions out of their intended role. There was tons of roster shuffling this year between Charlotte, W-S, Kanny, etc. Meanwhile, down at Bristol and GF, some guys didn't get enough playing time because there were so many fresh draft choices coming in. The farm system was out of balance, and I absolutely agree that's not a good thing on an ongoing basis.

I'm decidedly on the fence with Crede. I'll lean on a very old belief of mine ... "it all depends what you can get for him, and how easy you replace him". Sometimes you have to trade a guy you really want to keep to get a missing piece that, simply put, doesn't come around often. Reed is a good example. We'd be talking about him playing CF or RF next year perhaps, because he's a doubles hitter with good OBP potential. I didn't want to give him up, neither did KW. But there just aren't too many Freddy Garcia's out there ... a very good #2 guy who's coming into his prime and is willing to sign an extension due to other factors (Ozzie). Meaning, if you can get the right combination for Crede, and sign a stop gap guy as a FA or even trade cheaply for same ... it may be worth it. (although I would miss seeing the very lovely Lisa Crede at spring training :D )

So sometimes Rex, even when they go for a veteran in trade and give up prospects, they're still looking at the "now" and the future IMO. If the future for a guy like Rupe is 2006, the Sox may feel they've got enough young arms with that same ETA, and they can look at 2005 being the future with Carl Everett (whom I'm convinced will be back ... OF insurance and DH insurance)

Rex and Jim, finally someone to explain what i been trying to say, without the proper words of expression and meaning.

i have been say for several yrs that kw is trading for now and all i been recieving is "when was the last time the sox won a series, lets win this yr". i am not for that if he planned it better, but he didn't.

i believe in developing a strong farm where you can bring in a prospect or 2 to fill in a need and have a surplus to make a trade for a player that is needed.

kw, imho, gave up tooooo much in some of these trades, way to much.

Rex,

you mention to give some of the young pitchers a chance, when now or next yr and if it is next yr, who are you suggesting?????

as sad i am to see jose go, b/c of his leadership qualities, but we need a change, joe c is going no where as paulie. maybe paulie will be involve in a trade later in the season, depending on his performance and where the sox are heading. i see 2 glaring holes, an of'er position and imo a sp esp a #1.

what are your opinions, i would like to know.

Jim, everyone is talking about what FA pitches are out there, Pedro, Pavano, ect... but I think were going to get someone big via trade. Thats just IMO. I think Carlos, Creede and Munoz are going to go in a deal this off-season. Just a hunch. ;)

Tony, I think they know exactly who they want, and who they want to move.

Groundwork may have already been laid. What will be most interesting to me is what they're gonna do at SS. I'm pissed if it's Valentin again, I've seen enough. But the fact is, quality SS is very very hard to come by. Boy do I like this kid they've got in LA though, he could play here for 10-12 years if the Sox could somehow pry him away. Not sure why LA would want to though ... they've got a winning combination out there, great pitching and lots of talent on the way up, including a stud 1B guy. I lived out there for a couple of years and they're my second favorite team, especially when they play the Cubs :fthecubs

Rex and Jim, finally someone to explain what i been trying to say, without the proper words of expression and meaning.

i have been say for several yrs that kw is trading for now and all i been recieving is "when was the last time the sox won a series, lets win this yr". i am not for that if he planned it better, but he didn't.

i believe in developing a strong farm where you can bring in a prospect or 2 to fill in a need and have a surplus to make a trade for a player that is needed.

kw, imho, gave up tooooo much in some of these trades, way to much.

Rex,

you mention to give some of the young pitchers a chance, when now or next yr and if it is next yr, who are you suggesting?????

as sad i am to see jose go, b/c of his leadership qualities, but we need a change, joe c is going no where as paulie. maybe paulie will be involve in a trade later in the season, depending on his performance and where the sox are heading. i see 2 glaring holes, an of'er position and imo a sp esp a #1.

what are your opinions, i would like to know.

Great post.

Ever since I had the Lasik eye surgery, I see the glaring holes more clearly :lol:

I see four big holes, a few lesser ones: starting pitcher, stud closer, SS, and RF assuming Ordonez is gone, which I have to assume.

I've been noticing many Sox fans assume that either Lee or Konerko will be traded, I'm not convinced. Remember KW said they need something in between a tweak and a blow up.

Here's my hunch: they sign a stop gap SS guy and go full throttle to acquire SS prospects in trades, and target them in the draft. Also, they'll play Uribe a lot to see what his ceiling is ... can he handle SS full time, long term? None of us can answer that yet.

They sign one of the better starting pitchers available. They trade for bullpen help, and add 1-2 guys to the team like they've historically done with guys like Timo, Gload, etc.

So basically, I see them signing two FA's ... SS and starting pitcher. The wild card is Crede. He may have to go for bullpen help, which may also net an outfielder in the same trade, or a fill in 3B guy until Josh Fields is ready. Remember too they may only need to worry about the OF situation for 1 year, two max. Anderson is coming and so is Sweeney. Their performance this year says these two are legit and could be ready as soon as 2006.

I would also bet they get Alex Escobar to winter ball and make a judgement as to whether he's ready to help or not. If he is (big if) and they get a good year out of him, that would be fantastic.

I assume that if we kept the budget the same, with Maggs, Valentin, and Koch's numbers off the books, that we will have anywhere from five to fifteen million to use in free agency (most likely somewhere in the middle). I am all for trading one of Lee or Konerko, because both have somewhat hefty contracts, yet both will be coming off of excellent years.

I'd rather trade Konerko, just because the fact he's slower and I think Lee's ceiling is higher than Konerko's - I could be wrong, but that's JMO. I'd love to get a package of an excellent reliever, and a middle infielder (Jerry Hairston would be an awesome pickup this offseason for the Sox - .378 OBP, .303 AVG), and perhaps a prospect.

My overall view of this offseason is this - I want to get it down, so what do you guys think of this?

-Cut down on the right handed power hitters (one of Lee or Konerko going).

-Gain a LH power hitter (JD Drew, or Delgado depending on price.)

-Get one shut down, power throwing righty (If Kenny would be able to get him for not a whole lot, I'd love to see this team make a deal with the devils up north and aquire Farnsy, but maybe I'm alone in that opinion - but don't get me wrong, I don't think Farnsy is an elite bullpen guy - I just think he has the potential to become one.)

-A #2 or #3 starter. The obvious names being Radke, Pedro, Pavano, Clement, Perez.

-Fill in the rest with speed and OBP guys, preferably good defensively. Ideally I'd love to go into the season with Catallanato in right, Koskie at third, Hairston/Harris at second, and I'll take Uribe at short.

Thoughts?

I assume that if we kept the budget the same, with Maggs, Valentin, and Koch's numbers off the books, that we will have anywhere from five to fifteen million to use in free agency (most likely somewhere in the middle).  I am all for trading one of Lee or Konerko, because both have somewhat hefty contracts, yet both will be coming off of excellent years.

I'd rather trade Konerko, just because the fact he's slower and I think Lee's ceiling is higher than Konerko's - I could be wrong, but that's JMO.  I'd love to get a package of an excellent reliever, and a middle infielder (Jerry Hairston would be an awesome pickup this offseason for the Sox - .378 OBP, .303 AVG), and perhaps a prospect. 

My overall view of this offseason is this - I want to get it down, so what do you guys think of this?

-Cut down on the right handed power hitters (one of Lee or Konerko going).

-Gain a LH power hitter (JD Drew, or Delgado depending on price.)

-Get one shut down, power throwing righty (If Kenny would be able to get him for not a whole lot, I'd love to see this team make a deal with the devils up north and aquire Farnsy, but maybe I'm alone in that opinion - but don't get me wrong, I don't think Farnsy is an elite bullpen guy - I just think he has the potential to become one.)

-A #2 or #3 starter.  The obvious names being Radke, Pedro, Pavano, Clement, Perez.

-Fill in the rest with speed and OBP guys, preferably good defensively.  Ideally I'd love to go into the season with Catallanato in right, Koskie at third, Hairston/Harris at second, and I'll take Uribe at short.

Thoughts?

so we trade paulie, so who are you going to put at 1b, big frank? and if you put big frank at first who is going to dh?

lets get this straight, the sox will not sign a fa who is a client of boras.

Well, assuming the payroll is the same, Maggs's contract doesn't do us much does it? That goes towards Garcia and Contreras. And Valentin's will go to whatever raises, be it through options or whatever, there are. So not as much to work with as you'd think. I don't think Loaiza made much, and the only big league salary we lost in the Garcia deal was Olivo's, which wasn't much either.

I would love to get a pitcher along the lines of Pavano, Perez, Radke, or Lowe this offseason. While Hairston would be nice, I'm perfectly fine with Willie, and I think there are more pressing needs than 2B. The only way that would work is if you stuck Willie in Center, Rowand in Right, and kept Lee in left. That would take care of the outfield problem.

Another bullpen arm should be necessary.

The best shortstop in the draft will be Justin Upton, B.J. Upton's younger brother, but he should be long gone before we could take a crack at him.

J.D. Drew's agent is Boras, so that's not gonna happen.

The most pressing need, in my opinion, is another proven starter. A rotation like this would be pretty good:

1. Garcia

2. Buehrle

3. FA

4. Contreras

5. Garland

Well, assuming the payroll is the same, Maggs's contract doesn't do us much does it?  That goes towards Garcia and Contreras.  And Valentin's will go to whatever raises, be it through options or whatever,  there are.  So not as much to work with as you'd think.  I don't think Loaiza made much, and the only big league salary we lost in the Garcia deal was Olivo's, which wasn't much either.

I would love to get a pitcher along the lines of Pavano, Perez, Radke, or Lowe this offseason.  While Hairston would be nice, I'm perfectly fine with Willie, and I think there are more pressing needs than 2B.  The only way that would work is if you stuck Willie in Center, Rowand in Right, and kept Lee in left.  That would take care of the outfield problem.

Another bullpen arm should be necessary.

The best shortstop in the draft will be Justin Upton, B.J. Upton's younger brother, but he should be long gone before we could take a crack at him.

J.D. Drew's agent is Boras, so that's not gonna happen.

The most pressing need, in my opinion, is another proven starter.  A rotation like this would be pretty good:

1.  Garcia

2.  Buehrle

3.  FA

4.  Contreras

5.  Garland

i agree, the thing that keeps coming to my mind is what is jr willing to spend? the thing is and i am glad you address the money thing, b/c several has already mention this before. we are pretty much at or above the salary that jr is willing to accept.

so again, what is going to be address, what is the piority of needs.

Rex brought up some great points and i wanted to see where is thoughts are in ref to what he said about the pitching.

my guess, is are the sox willing to go with what is already in the system with pitching and address other needs? maybe.

but kw did say that he will sign a fa starting pitcher.

i would like to know what other needs will be address then and how.