Ozzie unloads on Showalter

Al Lopez Ghost (old)

This is excerpted from Saturday's Southtown:

"Guillen took exception to comments Showalter made after the Sox beat Texas on Thursday night. Showalter's comments stemmed from an incident that occurred during that night's game.

Guillen noticed in the first inning that John Wetteland was coaching first base, replacing the regular first base coach. The 3rd base coach for Texas was serving a suspension, and the first base coach had shifted over.

Guillen asked the umpires if Wetteland was allowed to coach first base, citing a rule that a replacement coach on the field has to be part of the big league staff. When the umps told Guillen that Texas had received permission to make the move, Guillen said he simply said 'no problem' and left it at that.

After the game Showalter said "I guess he didn't know you could carry 7 coaches in September or an extra coach in September". He then said something about Kenny Williams needing to let Ozzie know about the rule.

Ozzie's reaction on Friday? He said:

"The comments he made, I think they were unprofessional, because I was doing my job. The only reason I did it is because he would do the same if he was on my side. And I didn't make it a big deal because it was John Wetteland coaching first. If it was somebody else coaching first, I will make a big deal about it because that's the rules. I think you can call up people to be on your coaching staff, but you can't have them on the field. Even after the game I forgot about it. Now all of a sudden they come up with his comments and I think it's unprofessional. But when the best manager in the history of baseball talks about you, that means you're on somebody's mind. And when you're beating the crap out of the best manager in baseball, and we beat the (bleep) out of them, it makes me feel a lot better...To compete against the guy that invented baseball, and beat him, that's something you should feel good about as a rookie manager." Guillen said the reason Showalter keeps one hand in his pocket when he makes a pitching change is "so he doesn't lose the key to baseball that he keeps there when he runs on the field."

Guillen also said "I could have made a big deal about it, but I was professional enough because I respect the guy that was coaching first base. Wetteland did something in the big leagues. SHowalter never even smelled a jock in the big leagues. He didn't even know how the clubhouse in the big leagues was when he got his first job. 'Mr. Baseball' never even got a hit in triple A. He was a backup catcher or a first baseman all his career. Now all of a sudden he's the best ever in baseball. He told somebody he didn't like me because I have too much fun in baseball. I have fun in baseball because I was good playing this game. And I made a lot of money playing this game...something he never did. And I have a championship rign on my finger. He made comments he's not supposed to be making about anybody....It's too bad I didn't have to go to the minorleagues to get this job like he did. I was coaching straight up in the big leagues. I was a big league coach and I went straight to big league manager. Ozzie Guillen had to do somehthing to take those steps. I only played 2, 3 years in the minors and played 14 years with the same team. There are so many different things he might be jealous of" Guillen added. "I was a better player than him, I've got more money than him, and I'm better looking than him."

Other than that, he wasn't pissed.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't really say that did he?

If he did, I lost any respect I have ever had for Ozzie. That was not only obnoxious, rude, and out of line. But if the team was half as good as Ozzie thinks Ozzie is, we would be WS champs every year.

He is pretty damn stupid sometimes. Never knows when to shut his f***ing mouth. Probally wonders why he gets suspended.

Tigers can't change their stripes.... this was ozzie as a proffesional player.... this is ozzie as a professional manager.

Personally I dont mind it, dont take s*** from anyone.

I agree, I don't know why everyone is making this look like Ozzie is the bad guy here. Buck makes an ass out of himself and Ozzie called him on it. End of story.

Buck makes the comment about Ozzie not knowing the rules about it because he walked out onto the field and questioned it. Then Buck says Kenny should have told Ozzie the rules.

So Ozzie goes on to say he's better then Buck because he played baseball, didn't have to start out coaching in the minors, is better looking, and makes more money. I guess I can't see how Ozzie comes out the good guy...

Buck makes the comment about Ozzie not knowing the rules about it because he walked out onto the field and questioned it. Then Buck says Kenny should have told Ozzie the rules.

So Ozzie goes on to say he's better then Buck because he played baseball, didn't have to start out coaching in the minors, is better looking, and makes more money. I guess I can't see how Ozzie comes out the good guy...

Exactly what he said was not right whatsoever. Just because he is the sox manager doesn't mean i will defend him while he is being stupid.

Guillen said the reason Showalter keeps one hand in his pocket when he makes a pitching change is "so he doesn't lose the key to baseball that he keeps there when he runs on the field".

I don't care if it was unprofessional or not ( I personally think "fight fire with fire", but that's just me ), that comment is FUNNY.

You little kids who got offended by Ozzie's reaction should find another sport to follow.  Not only was Ozzie right, he out-debated him, too.  From the quote I saw, Ozzie is also smarter than BuckSho.  I don't think there is any "real" baseball fan who wouldn't back up Ozzie.  Showalter is baby.

Exactly my sentiments.

Ozzie speaks his thoughts (inappropriate or not) and we should all come to expect it. Who gives a f*** what others think about Ozzie's quotes towards Buck Showalter?

In other circumstances where Guillen personally calls out players I have more discretion, but this particular instance is not worthy of Ozzie bashing. If you don't feel that way, I understand, some fans expect more "class" from a manager of a major league ballclub.