Why Would a FA sign with the Sox

LDF

let think about it, this season may prove that it is a good time to be a pitcher who is a fa. with a lot of teams looking at improving their rotation, why would any sign with the sox.

are we close to being a contender? (randy johnson wish)

is kw going to open the jr pocket book to sign one? (only time and wishful thinking)

b/c they love the tradition of being on the team?(hahaha)

why???

More and more, guys are looking for a good fit, both for themselves in terms of teammates/manager/clubhouse, but also for their wife and kids.

If they have kids in school, our suburban schools are as good as any. Most women love Chicago, and they wouldn't have to deal with the rough winters.

It usually comes down to the contract, but when these guys already have more money than they know what to do with, other factors come into play.

The Latin clubhouse could play a big factor, as could Ozzie.  He has a lot of friends around the league, and it has already netted us Freddy Garcia.  I really get the feeling that we will be in the Pedro sweepstakes.

Pedro will get 12 million a year this off season, find it hard to believe they are willing to dish that much out on 1 starter.

Pedro will get 12 million a year this off season, find it hard to believe they are willing to dish that much out on 1 starter.

Well no one thought they would put out $55 million for Albert Belle either....

KW has said he wants a front line starter, and with the axe job that Pedro is getting in Boston, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox made a solid pitch for him.

Well no one thought they would put out $55 million for Albert Belle either....

KW has said he wants a front line starter, and with the axe job that Pedro is getting in Boston, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox made a solid pitch for him.

I would much rather go for a starter with a little lesser talent that is 2-4 million dollars less per year. But is capable of putting up excellent numbers. Because we could then you that additional money else where.

I would much rather go for a starter with a little lesser talent that is 2-4 million dollars less per year.  But is capable of putting up excellent numbers. Because we could then you that additional money else where.

This team is finally learning that it can score runs without Maggs and Frank. When we get back Frank next year this offense will be fine. If you add Pedro to the mix, the most this team needs to win is better LH power balance in the starters.

This team is finally learning that it can score runs without Maggs and Frank.  When we get back Frank next year this offense will be fine.  If you add Pedro to the mix, the most this team needs to win is better LH power balance in the starters.

I agree the offense just needs a left handed hitter but i also think they need some bullpen help.

I am not saying a pen like the yankees, expos, or cardinals.  But wouldn't it be nice to have a better than o.k. pen for once?

I really believe with Takatsu and Marte at the end of the pen, added to the year of development for Cotts and Adkins, mixed in with Pollitte and a long man, that we would have a very good bullpen. The majority of teams would be jealous.

I really believe with Takatsu and Marte at the end of the pen, added to the year of development for Cotts and Adkins, mixed in with Pollitte and a long man, that we would have a very good bullpen.  The majority of teams would be jealous.

You seem to be one of the few like myself that think politte is very valuable. But anyways quite a bit of relievers in free agency that should be pretty cheap and can possibly solidify the pen for basically nothing. Might be worth a try.

You seem to be one of the few like myself that think politte is very valuable. But anyways quite a bit of relievers in free agency that should be pretty cheap and can possibly solidify the pen for basically nothing. Might be worth a try.

I'm not looking at Cliff to be the closer. For a seventh inning guy he is solid. He isn't making a lot of money in the first place.

$12 mill would be stolen.

I would almost count on the Yankees offering him ATLEAST $15 mill a year, and possibly more. They need pitching worse then us, and that says something.

$12 mill would be stolen.

I would almost count on the Yankees offering him ATLEAST $15 mill a year, and possibly more.  They need pitching worse then us, and that says something.

I was just being on the low side. Imo no chance in hell we even get close to signing him. And if we were to go after him why not try to go after two pitchers such as perez and radke or some sort of combination like that.