**Game Thread** (The rubber match)

SoxAce

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it, but I think I agree with Tony --  I didn't actually see Contreras pitch today, so I have no idea what his pitch selection/location and speeds were like.  but given his past history I tend to think that it's just him being stubborn.

Actually he went with the fastball a ton today. I don't know if he was tipping it, or if the Angels were just reading the papers and knew he was going to be throwing it, but they hammered him hard.

Actually he went with the fastball a ton today.  I don't know if he was tipping it, or if the Angels were just reading the papers and knew he was going to be throwing it, but they hammered him hard.

Again I didn't see any of it, but last time out... His sequences left a lot to be desired in the first, especially to the "I-eat-Fastballs-for-breakfast" soriano...

Soriano fouled off two fastballs, then looked for it on the third. He got it and put it in the cheap seats... Contreras knew that the splitter would have put him away there, but it was almost like he had to prove to coop that people can hit his fastball a long way.

On Contreras, I think he just got totally smacked around today. I know we're worried because this is two games in a row, but the Angels can hit.

He definitely was going more with the fastball today and his location wasn't good. Only one walk, so he was in the strike zone, but he just got clobbered. I'm less worried about it than most ... the rest of this year is just a learning experience for Contreras and I think the Sox will come up with a whole new game plan for him next year.

Jim H - I usually agree with you, and wish I could here. Again I say. Buerhle and Garcia and then just pray. The Sox rotation is awful. I know that hitters dominate today's game, especially in the AL with the DH. Nevertheless our guys need a significant upgrade in SP if anyone hopes to see us in the playoffs any year soon. Contreras is only following his established pattern. When he is bad, he is just plain horrid. He comes unglued with surprising ease. No, the Yanks gained no prize in Estaban Loaiza the one year wonder with the sore tired arm. However, they knew exactly what they were dumping on us. The SP equivalent of Billy Koch.