'05 BMac

danman31

Where should BMac begin the 2005 season?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Where should BMac begin the 2005 season?

• Birmingham
    • Charlotte
    • White Sox

I thought it would be a cool idea for this board in the offseason would be to have polls on where certain prospects should start next season. The best discussions on this board are about prospects eta, when they should be promoted, etc.

I personally say Charlotte, but I wouldn't mind seeing him in Birmingham. I think the AFL will be a good experience for him to get more time against comprible AA hitters.

As Tex says in his polls: :bringit

I voted for Birmingham.

(1) Birmingham is more of a pitcher's park, and McCarthy won't be as hurt by his mistakes as much as he learns to take on and beat AA hitters.

(2) McCarthy was very good but not great in his starts at Birmingham. I'd like to see him dominate like he did at W-S before moving on.

(3) He'll still be young for the Southern League at the beginning of the 2005 season.

(4) There's no reason that he can't be promoted directly to the Sox from Birmingham in 2005, a la Mark Buehrle in 2000 (and, with less success, Arnie Munoz in 2004).

(5) I want more scouting reports from Rex.

(6) Potentially awesome B'ham rotation next year - Tracey, Whisler, McCarthy, Honel and Wing.

I'd rather B-Mac being able to pitch every fifth day, so the only way I want him to be on the Sox is if he's pitching as a starter. No need for him to be in a Jon Adkins role next year. I'd like for him to start at B'Ham, gain some confidence, then go to AAA. Then a shot as a 2005 callup, and a definite shot at the 2006 rotation.

Bham b/c he only got a few starts there this time around, and I think it'd do him well to get a few more starts at the beginning of next year, and then move up to Charlotte in mid/late-May maybe. The SL is not a bad league either, so it's not like he'd be facing s***ty competition. I don't see how him going to AA could hurt him, but I could see how going to AAA to start off could possibly backfire if he doesn't start out well and gets demoted.

I think it be interesting to demote him to Great Falls and see him strikeout like 400 batters in an entire season... but that would just be sillly. I think the safe bet would be AA to let him have even more sucess and build more confidence for him. but i do want to see him at the CELL by the end of the year.

Start him at B'ham and assuming he performs up to expectations, promote him to the Knights.  He will need to learn how to overcome that challenge before taking the mound at the Cell. 

But, by all means, keep this guy as a starter.  Regardless of level.

I agree, I dont want him to get in the frame of mind as Neal and Adkins, keep him as a starter, make him throw strikes. I would invite him to spring training in AZ, because if a pitcher can succeed there, where the breaking balls dont break, and the fly balls sail, then we know he will be moved up by the end of the year. I think b-ham then straight to the sox, no skip in charlotte at all. :fthecubs

Bham, Bham, Bham. He only had a few starts there and I think a half season or so would definately benefit him. He had a hell of a season, will pitch a bit in the AFL and then let him start the year off in Bham after getting some experience during spring training.

However, if he just puts up insane numbers the first month at Bham, then move him up earlier.

I would invite him to spring training in AZ, because if a pitcher can succeed there, where the breaking balls dont break, and the fly balls sail, then we know he will be moved up by the end of the year.

He will be pitching in minor league ST in Arizona. So whether he is with the big league team or not, he is pitching ST in Arizona.

I hate to say it, but there is no way I want to see Brandon start next year in Chicago. Let's be sure the kid is ready, we don't need to crush this kids confidence by rushing him. Hell I would rather see him all charged up and king of the world, than to have him come up and giving Munoz-style starts.

I hate to say it, but there is no way I want to see Brandon start next year in Chicago.  Let's be sure the kid is ready, we don't need to crush this kids confidence by rushing him.  Hell I would rather see him all charged up and king of the world, than to have him come up and giving Munoz-style starts.

I agree 2k4 for more then one reason. First off I hope we sign another starter in the offseason making it not even necessary to even think about bringing bmac up to start the year. Second, the sox have to handle him right for once, this kid is to special to have his confidence go to s*** if he's rushed up to the bigs.