Why are liberals so easily 'outraged'?

EvilMonkey

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/WABC_1003...oolteacher.html

Middle School Teacher In Trouble Over Presidential Photo?

By Ken Rosato

(Monmouth Junction-WABC, October 3, 2004) — You might say it is a symbol of the Great American Divide, a teacher putting up a picture of President Bush in the classroom. Some say it is partisanship while others say it is patriotism.

Rita Bianco, Parent: "Children should know their president and their first lady!"

Parents expressing outrage after a teacher is kicked out of her public school for hanging a picture of President Bush next to pictures of other presidents in her classroom.

Shiba Pillai-Diaz, Teacher: "It happened on a small bulletin board near the American flag and also with a poster of the Declaration of Independence."

This is Crossroads South Middle School in Monmouth Junction, New Jersey. On Thursday, there was a back-to-school night for parents of students. Veteran English teacher Shiba Pillai-Diaz says she was shocked when three parents confronted her. The three, insisting the teacher either add John Kerry's photo to the montage of presidents or remove the Bush photo. When Pillai-Diaz refused, she says the school's vice-principal threatened her job which is an act that has parents here fuming.

Paula Sjolund, Parent: "She didn't do anything wrong, and I think that it should have stayed up there."

Pillai-Diaz ultimately removed the entire bulletin board and says School Principal Jim Warfel told her she disrupted the school with her "inflammatory politics". She says he then ordered her out of the building. While she says she is a Bush supporter in her personal life, Pillai-Diaz says she keeps politics out of the classroom.

Shiba Pillai-Diaz, Teacher: "There was no political intent, nor was there any political content in that photograph nor on the bulletin board."

School officials would not talk on camera but insist nobody here has been fired. To that, Ms. Pillai-Diaz asks what does it mean then when your boss asks you to hand over the keys and kicks you out of the building? She also says she is not sure if she'll be returning to school tomorrow.

Also, if the lineup is like this:

Washington

Jefferson

Jackson

Lincoln

Both Roosevelts

Kennedy

...and Bush?

If it's something like that, she ought to know better.

Even in that scenario, you're listing some of the most important presidents of all time. Well, right now there is no more important president than GWB, ya know, considering he's the man in charge right now, not 50 or 150 years ago.

Shiba Pillai-Diaz, Teacher: "There was no political intent, nor was there any political content in that photograph nor on the bulletin board."

Apparently, it wasn't a "Republican wall of fame"

Keeping all political opinions out of the equation and looking at it objectively, punishing a teacher for this is idiotic.

I understand it was the teacher's actions when asked about the bulletin board that caused the situation, not necessarily just the picture. One parens described the treatment as rude and unprofessional. The lady went off on a rant and was asked to leave to calm down.

There were also conflicting reports as to the size of the picture. There were all these standard same shots then a much larger Bush photo because that was all she could find.

There are some very silly rules regarding sitting President's pictures in different location around election time. I believe it grows out of a sense of not giving too much power to encumbants.

Still in every classroom, Bush's picture, and that of the entire cabinet, and the Senators and Congressman from that district should be displayed. How else will kids learn?

It certainly doesn't warrent as much attention as the pen that Kerry used during the debate. I can understand outrage over a pen.

Added:

8:15 am

I just heard on my local radio station, allegedly from a parent who wintnessed the exchange, that the teacher was asked why that picture of Bush was up. Instead of stating it was a display of presidents, she went off on an anti-Kerry rant. The decription given was this is a pre-packaged display that was out of date and the teacher (rightfully in my view) added Bush. The picture did not match in size, style, etc.

This gets into the thought police area that I despise. Who cares why she out it up? Whether it was a civics lesson, or not so subtle campaigning, or because she hates Kerry, a picture of Bush should be in every public school classroom.

Edited by Texsox