britt burns

Hatchetman

I still want to kick Jerry Dybzinski in the ass to this day over that. He didn't get picked off...he flat out made one of the worst baserunning blunders of all time IMO. GOD I WAS PISSED. And if I recall it was between 2nd and 3rd. Even though the Sox bats went dead that game...and I try not to blame him...Christ sakes almighty!!! (Can I say that?!?...oh wait...this isn't the Interactive Nazis)!

--I hate recalling that series against the O's.

That series might have been the low point in Sox history.

Like you said, we had Dotson and Bannister ready for the World Series.

We could not score a run in nine innings for Britt f***ing Burns who pitched the

game of his life.

LaMarr Hoyt would have won on Sunday night and Chicago would have been

in a frenzy about Sox baseball forever.

Instead we were left to look at a series where we scored something

like two or three runs the last 27 innings.

This is what really happened on the Dyber play, with the help of Retro Sheet.

Greg Walker led off the 7th with a single. Tippy Martinez relieved Storm Davis, and Mike Squires came in to run for Walker. Vance Law then singled to left. Squires on 2B, Law on 1B 0 outs. Jerry Dybzinski forced Squires at third 2-5 (I don't remember if he was bunting). Law on 2B, Dyber on 1B with 1 out. Cruz singles to left (Gary Roenicke, who could throw) and the third base coach, I think it was Jim Leyland, held Law. Dyber never saw him and rounded second. The O's threw behind Dybs and Law took off for home and was gunned down, Dybzinski ending up back at 2B. The play went 7(Roenicke)-5(Todd Cruz)-4(Rich Dauer)-2(Rick Dempsey). Rudy Law was next and, to make matters worse Martinez balked both runners forward and Law flied to left. So they would have scored a run either on the balk or the fly except for Dyber's play.

In addition some blame Burn's 150 pitches that day for hastening the end his career and have never forgiven Tony Larussa for sending him out there in the 10th inning. Burn's did pitch two years afterward but some guys still argue.

Baltimore went on to win the World Series over a loaded Philly team.

I wasn't at the Dyber game, I moved into my house that day and saw the later innings sitting on cardboard box, watching a TV set on the floor. It's funny the things you remember and the things you forget.

Great recap.

That day I had to go to a bad small college football game

with gf's parents and gf.

I had a radio and listened to the Sox-O's game.

I was so into the baseball game, not cheering, just listening.

When Dybber made that blunder I could have cried

because I immediately envisioned what was going to

happen.

We were going to lose and Hoyt wouldn't get the chance

to win the finale.

So sad.

p.s. great great post and check of Burns' pitch count.

That is sad if that led to his demise.

It's great to see this thread about my favorite Sox player of all time. Not only was Britt Burns a very good major league pitcher, he was a good guy as well. I named my first born daughter after him, and I took her with me to a game in Baltimore when she was less than a year old. I took her with me to the railings next to the field where the Sox players went back into the clubhouse before the game started, and I asked one of the players (I think it was Randy Martz if I recall correctly) if he would ask for Britt to come over and say hello. Not only did he come over to where we were standing, he took my little girl in his arms and posed for a coupla pictures, one of which hangs on my wall to this day.

He's still my favorite Sox player ever.