Why the Beltran Talk?

beck72

Riiiiight ...

Like Carlos Lee, Maggs Ordonez, Mark Buehrle, Paul Konerko, Aaron Rowand, etc.

Lots of prospects make it, unless of course they run counter to your point of view.

Jon Rausch? Kip Wells? Bobby Hill?

There are thi=osands of "can't -miss" prospects who missed. There are a lot more that missed then made it!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot more that missed then made it!

This, though, is different than "prospects hardly ever pan out".

Last I checked, Wells has been pitching with Pittsburgh, Hill has been playing with Pittsburgh too. I don't know who Jon Rausch is, I know a Jon Rauch, who is a clubhouse problem.

This, though, is different than "prospects hardly ever pan out".

Last I checked, Wells has been pitching with Pittsburgh, Hill has been playing with Pittsburgh too.  I don't know who Jon Rausch is, I know a Jon Rauch, who is a clubhouse problem.

I guarantee that there are more "can't-miss" prospects that "missed" than there are thant were successful big leaguers.

I guarantee that there are more "can't-miss" prospects that "missed" than there are thant were successful big leaguers.

I guarantee there are more starts in the sky then we can actually see.. BFD.

What's your point?

If everyone stays away from prospects then the game dies when all the proven players get to old to play..?

I guarantee there are more starts in the sky then we can actually see.. BFD.

What's your point?

If everyone stays away from prospects then the game dies when all the proven players get to old to play..?

The point is, IN GENERAL, it's better to have a proven superstar than it is to have/rely on prospects.

The original question was" why do we need Beltran if we have Sweeney and Anderson?".

I answered, because it's better to have a proven superstar than prospects.

What's the f***ing problem with what I said, Steff?

I didn't know there was one...?? :huh

You need to calm the f*** down.

A few points.

Why does everyone think that Pierre is available? Sure I would love to see him on the southside, but put yourself in the Marlins GM's shoes. Would you trade a guy like Pierre? The guy has got to be pretty close to untouchable, or in other words, he won't be traded unless a deal is too good to pass up. I am sorry, but a Lee or Konerko(for example) for Pierre trade is NOT too good to pass up, especially if they hold to the saying that a good leadoff hitter is harder to find than a good middle of the order hitter. The Marlins don't need to trade him for financial reasons(Pierre is signed to a reasonable deal as well), especially now that Lowell is all but gone, so I find it highly unlikely that Pierre will be playing any place except Florida. To be honest, the Sox probably have a better shot of signing Beltran than acquiring Pierre through a trade.

In regards to the main point of the thread, I have to agree with Israel when he says that you have to take proven over prospect. He is right when he says that a good amount of top prospects don't live up to their hype. For example, look at BA top 10 prospect list for the Sox 5 years ago/10 years ago, and see where most of those guys are now. I really hope that both Anderson and Sweeney live up to their potential, but the fact remains that the odds are against them(especially both of them developing). With that said, even if the Sox were to sign Beltran, by 2006, there would be an outfield spot open(Lee will probably be gone), so the idea that they will have nowhere to play really doesn't hold water. In reality, I highly doubt that the Sox sign a player like Beltran. Look for them to trade for a short-term RF.

Podsednik could be an option, especially since he had a so-so year for Milwaukee. However, since he is making close to the minimum, I doubt that he is traded. Organizations like Milwaukee usually don't trade cheap, young, productive players unless a deal is too good to pass up. With that said, if he were available, than I think he could be a decent option despite the fact that he had a so-so year.

In regards to Anderson, the guy is one of the puriest CF in the game. I don't know what "scouts" you have been talking to Rex, but the only way that Anderson is moved from CF is if the Sox sign a GG calibur CF(like Beltran). He is similar to Rowand(great jumps and good reads), but he has slightly better speed and is a better overall athlete. I also see a LITTLE AJones when it comes to pure athletism and effortlessness. Anderson is ticketed for CF no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Here is a name that Sox fans should keep an eye on. Winn, from Seattle. I think this guy would be a perfect fit at the top of the order. He might be one of the more underrated players in the game. Did you guys know that this guy has put up the following numbers in each of the last 3 seasons?

.285+ BA

10+ HR

30+ 2B

75+ RBI

20+ SB(at a 78% rate)

.345+ OBP

.425+ SLG

.770+ OPS

I don't know about you guys, but I think Winn is exactly the type of player that the Sox need at the top of the order. There is also a good chance that he is available(unlike Pierre), especially if Seattle choices to rebuild.

Because he doesn't have a full time spot for Ana.

But he does. I've been saying this for a long time. The Angels aren't going after Nomar, they are going after Beltran and probably another pitcher.

Figgins is going to be playing either 2nd or SS with Eckstein at the other spot. Adam Kennedy is a FA if I recall and the Angels don't appear to willing to bring him back. I may be wrong though on Kennedy.

Sciosc is gonna be playing Figgins. He was the heart and soul of the top of the lineup, not Eckstein. Figgy ain't going anywhere.

But he does.  I've been saying this for a long time.  The Angels aren't going after Nomar, they are going after Beltran and probably another pitcher. 

Figgins is going to be playing either 2nd or SS with Eckstein at the other spot.  Adam Kennedy is a FA if I recall and the Angels don't appear to willing to bring him back.  I may be wrong though on Kennedy.

Sciosc is gonna be playing Figgins.  He was the heart and soul of the top of the lineup, not Eckstein.  Figgy ain't going anywhere.

I don't think the Angels have the money for CBelt. Rumors have been going that they need to drop $20 mil in payroll. Carlos might end up costing $20 mil with the offseason he has had. That would be $40 mil they needed to free up. That would be rough.

If you can't start for the Expos, I don't want you starting here.

Endy Chavez is a young [26], improving, CFer. In 2002 in AAA, Chavez hit .343/ .392/.467 in 405 ab's in the International League, with 33 bb's to 37 SO's. Not too bad in my book. When was the last time a Sox prospect hit close to .400 in that many AB's [i don't count Willie's 100 ab's] in the IL?

the past two years:

'03--.251/.294/.354 18 sb's 7 CS

'04--.277/.318/.371 32 sb's , 7 cs

Is he an Allstar? No. Will he improve? Probably. Will he learn more patience at the plate? Probably. Does he have a ton of speed? Yes. Everyone knows the big names. Chavez could be a guy that helps and has a breakout year.