Why the Beltran Talk?

beck72

Here is a name that Sox fans should keep an eye on. Winn, from Seattle. I think this guy would be a perfect fit at the top of the order. He might be one of the more underrated players in the game. Did you guys know that this guy has put up the following numbers in each of the last 3 seasons?

.285+ BA

10+ HR

30+ 2B

75+ RBI

20+ SB(at a 78% rate)

.345+ OBP

.425+ SLG

.770+ OPS

I don't know about you guys, but I think Winn is exactly the type of player that the Sox need at the top of the order. There is also a good chance that he is available(unlike Pierre),  especially if Seattle choices to rebuild.

I really like your idea about winn. His contract is not too bad at all either.

-Randy Winn-2-Year w/ mutual2006 11M- 2004-3.5M 2005-3.75-5M and 3.75 player option for 2006 + poss. 150K w/ 650 PA in 04 and 05-Mariners

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

61382, you know I like you have been backing and liking the idea of Wynn for sometime. However, right now I think Everett/Gload are pencilled in one of the outfield spots. This means either Lee or Beltran is in the other (scary but true, imo).

That tells me or at least leads me to believe the Sox aren't going to go heavy on OF. However, I guess if they move Konerko they could just use Everett off the bench and as a DH, but it doesn't seem like something the Sox would do, considering the amount Everett would make.

Hairston/Roberts would be good fits. The one concern I have with Hiarston is his health. Their is no doubt in my mind that he would be happy to come to Chitown though.

Here is a name that Sox fans should keep an eye on. Winn, from Seattle. I think this guy would be a perfect fit at the top of the order. He might be one of the more underrated players in the game. Did you guys know that this guy has put up the following numbers in each of the last 3 seasons?

.285+ BA

10+ HR

30+ 2B

75+ RBI

20+ SB(at a 78% rate)

.345+ OBP

.425+ SLG

.770+ OPS

I don't know about you guys, but I think Winn is exactly the type of player that the Sox need at the top of the order. There is also a good chance that he is available(unlike Pierre),  especially if Seattle choices to rebuild.

Winn isn't much of a fielder. Esp his arm. Aaron is a better CFer.

Why move someone who is YOUNG, CHEAP, and SOLID unless it is for the farm? Figgins would take Anderson atleast IMHO.

A few reasons:

Ana could use power rather than speed.

Figgins may not have a regular position

Ana has Robb Quinlan as a UTL guy

Eckstein does many of the things Figgins does

I don't think the Angels have the money for CBelt.  Rumors have been going that they need to drop $20 mil in payroll.  Carlos might end up costing $20 mil with the offseason he has had.  That would be $40 mil they needed to free up.  That would be rough.

I agree with this. And I don't think they will even be in the Nomar race. I think the $$ they gave to Bart is going to hurt them for the next few years. Hopefully he comes out of the gate better in '05 than he did in '04.

A few reasons:

Ana could use power rather than speed.

Figgins may not have a regular position

Ana has Robb Quinlan as a UTL guy

Eckstein does many of the things Figgins does

Kennedy won't be back until about june or july. They will most definitely need figgins this year at least.

Hairston's a good name. Versatile as well. RF, 2B. Did he play CF or LF? Too bad he doesn't hit LH. Has Hairston hit leadoff at all?

Still wanna know why the Love affair with Hairston? Why would you want aguy who can't smell his glove without getting hurt? He has played in one full season and he hit .233. Verasatile yes but please let's look at something else

Sweeney is 19 years old or so, and in all likelyhood, won't be ready until atleast 2007, and if he has a setback of some type, 2008(unless we get really lucky and he busts out and is up by 2006, or we go into a rebuilding stage in 2006 and he's up then just because we want him to grow at the MLB level). That's one reason we can look to sign Beltran. Also...I know that Ryan has a cannon of an arm...but IIRC, he can play a little 1B too...could someone offer anything to add along side that?

And just to add one more thing...Frank Thomas's last year will probably be around 2007-08...hell, he may be out of a White Sox uniform by then. If he is no longer on the White Sox, there is a chance that the Sox could use the DH like the Twins did this year...just use one of the 4 OFers at DH during that particular game, probably the one who needs rest the most/is a little banged up, but is still good enough to hit.

Well Kennedy still is hurt, meaning Figgins will be there.

As far as these payroll rumors about the angels having to drop 20 million...not true. They are interested in Beltran and supposedly Nomar, but Beltran is their big target.

Anaheim is losing a lot of payroll this year. Glaus and his contract = GONE. Appier and his 12.5 million = GONE, Aaron Sele and his 8 mill = Gone.

Thats about 26-28 million freed up right there. Not many guys are due major raises in Anaheim either and they will have even more money freed up if they let Percy walk.

The Angels payroll will probably stay similar to what it was this year. However, take into account that with certain players gone, three of which won't be back, that the Angels will have 26-28 million to throw around. Not any major raises are expected from their players due arb and what not.

So ya, the Angels HAVE money to spend and will target a FA pitcher and a CF. Shortstop is also a possibility.

I don't doubt the sox would like to sign carlos Beltran for $13-15 mill a yr. With his versatility, speed, power and defense, he'd be a good fit for the Sox. Yet with Brian anderson and Ryan Sweeney a year or two away, why would they get Beltran for 5 years, esp with rowand coming into his own? Skeptics will point to this being a "red herring", designed to trick Sox fans into believing management wanted to spend "big money but things didn't work out.

I think a bigger motive is more likely. Telling the league that the sox are interested in Beltran, with the intent to move rowand to either LF or RF, is more geared toward striking a deal with the other GM's. It lets them know the sox would be willing to listen to offers for a speedy CFer.

With Beltran's price and lengthy contract, [he'd be fine for $15 mill, yet the 5 years would be hard w/ anderson able to fill in next year but 2006 for sure], getting a CFer like Pierre or Posednik for a year or two is more reasonable than signing Beltran for 5 yrs. That would give the Sox time to ease in Anderson and Sweeney. Though I do see Anderson in the OF mix for 2005, if he's healthy

i didn't have time to read all the replies so if i'm off-topic or something here i apologize.

i think there's no chance the sox get beltran. it's all posturing as far as i'm concerned, probably similar to the posturing that happened last offseason when kw said he wanted to resign all of our free agents (we signed none). i can't see how the sox would afford beltran because any money "saved" by not resigning maggs will be mostly sucked up by contreras' and garcia's contracts.

that said i would love to have beltran regardless of sweeney and anderson. who knows how those guys or any other prospects are going to turn out. beltran is a proven commodity, those other guys are potential and nothing more at this point.

Endy Chavez is a young [26], improving, CFer. In 2002 in AAA, Chavez hit .343/ .392/.467 in 405 ab's in the International League, with 33 bb's to 37 SO's. Not too bad in my book. When was the last time a Sox prospect hit close to .400 in that many AB's [i don't count Willie's 100 ab's] in the IL?

the past two years:

'03--.251/.294/.354  18 sb's 7 CS

'04--.277/.318/.371  32 sb's , 7 cs

Is he an Allstar? No. Will he improve? Probably. Will he learn more patience at the plate? Probably. Does he have a ton of speed? Yes. Everyone knows the big names. Chavez could be a guy that helps and has a breakout year.

I'm going to try and make this my last post about Endy Chavez :) I don't think he's much better than Willie Harris. Last year Harris had a BA/OBP/OPS of .262/.343/.665 with 21 SB and 7 CS. Chavez was .277/.318/.688 with 32 SB and 7 CS. The bottom line to me is that .318 is a bad OBP, and it seems to me few players improve their walk rate much at the major league level (I could be wrong though). For the Sox, I think getting on base is more important than being fast (alhtough it would be good to have both). I'd rather the Sox played someone they already have (Harris, Anderson, or Escobar) rather than give up talent for Chavez in a trade.

I'm going to try and make this my last post about Endy Chavez :)  I don't think he's much better than Willie Harris.  Last year Harris had a BA/OBP/OPS of .262/.343/.665 with 21 SB and 7 CS. Chavez was .277/.318/.688 with 32 SB and 7 CS. The bottom line to me is that .318 is a bad OBP, and it seems to me few players improve their walk rate much at the major league level (I could be wrong though). For the Sox, I think getting on base is more important than being fast (alhtough it would be good to have both). I'd rather the Sox played someone they already have (Harris, Anderson, or Escobar) rather than give up talent for Chavez in a trade.

Chavez at least is a CFer. Harris plays 2b. Can Chavez approach what he did in AAA 2002? If he could, he'd be a solid addition. Chavez wouldn't cost much in terms of talent either.

BTW, many Latin players improve their batting eye in the majors as they get older.

Still wanna know why the Love affair with Hairston? Why would you want aguy who can't smell his glove without getting hurt? He has played in one full season and he hit .233. Verasatile yes but please let's look at something else

Freak injuries are one thing. If he were a pitcher and had arm injuires, sure stay away from him. But if he has injuries that don't affect his future, he could be worth a chance if he could be gotten w/o much talent.

BTW, his low avg was in his rookie year.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but a few scouts I talked to during the season think he will end up being a corner OF.  I think that is where Josh is coming from.

I didn't really see him play enough while healthy to say one way or the other.  He certainly isn't a burner, but he is a good athlete.

Rex -

(Sorry, this should probably be on the minor league board, but anyways...)

Who would you rate better defensively (range-wise), Anderson or Sweeney (I also realize that Anderson has played mostly CF, and Sweeney plays the corners - but if Anderson were to become a corner, who would you think is better)?

And then - which of the two has a better arm?

Just trying to gauge a couple things here...