Bruce Levine Reports (Speculation)

CWSGuy406

Now are we talking about an actual position within the organisation or just his old position that he had with the Cubs where now he would most likely replace DJ.

I don't think he'll replace DJ cause DJ was just extended. And you know JR with Loyalty and stuff.

On Comcast Sports Nite, Gail Fischer was speaking with Bruce Levine (he was just on minutes ago).  Bruce Levine reports -- well, he has a hunch -- that Steve Stone, in some capacity, will end up within the White Sox organization.

What was basically said was that he has some roots within this organization (which I don't know, I'm not very up-to-date on White Sox history), and that he (Bruce) wouldn't be surprised if Stoney ended up with the White Sox.

I've never met the guy personally, but he knows his baseball.  He's really, really smart -- just from what I see on TV -- so that could definitely be wrong, but that's just what I've seen and heard from him.  I'd love it if he were one of our announcers (though I don't know how he and Hawk would mix) -- but I also think he'd be one hell of a talent evaluater within the organization.

Thoughts?

And -- Steff, have you heard any rumblings about this?  Is there any chance that this could be a possibilty?

EDIT:  And I do realize that there is already a thread in the Sports Bar, but I thought I'd put this in here, cause, well -- it's alittle Sox related, I suppose.  But if you (mods) don't feel the same way, you can move it.

His roots are that he played for the Sox, in 1973 and from 1976 till 1978

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/stonest01.shtml

And -- Steff, have you heard any rumblings about this?  Is there any chance that this could be a possibilty?

No idea. Although DJ's contract was just extended I thought, and if that's the case I don't know what he would do. I assume he wants to stay in broadcasting. I don't think a threesome of those three would work. :lol:

I'd welcome Stoney to the SouthSide, but I don't think Hawk could candle another baseball mind (especially one that surpasses his own) in the booth.

I agree, especially this past season, I heard Hawk make statements about players and talent that could be argued. DJ sometimes disagrees with him, but when he does, he doesn't put up much of a battle, just kinda concedes. Hawk and Stone would bump heads.

I don't know why people cream themselves over this guys knowledge. He just states the obvious and rambles on. His voice is also incredibly annoying and boring. I'll take Hawk and DJ thank you very much.

The difference is, he often states the obvious BEFORE it happens.

That's called baseball knowledge and experience.

Stone is one of the best analysts in the game, nasal voice notwithstanding.

The difference is, he often states the obvious BEFORE it happens.

That's called baseball knowledge and experience.

Stone is one of the best analysts in the game, nasal voice notwithstanding.

Like Stoney says...he "First-guesses," he doesn't second-guess. I know the mono-tone nasal thing might be overpowering at first, but the guy knows the game...and he knows it well.

I'd take Stoney in a heartbeat. I'm sorry, DJ is a nice guy but he offers nothing as an announcer. His observations are bland and sometimes make no sense at all. His damn "reminders" are also terribly irritating. He's basically Hawk's whipping boy.

Stone on the other hand is the definition of a color commentator. He calls situations as he sees it and usually before it happens. I can see Hawk and Stone clashing, but bringing in Stoney would be worth it.

I must say though, I definitely don't see it happening. Look for Stoney to get into a more influential role in some ballclub (Washington GM?)

It would be a PR coup to get Stoney on the southside, in any role. I'd like to have him in the booth, but I don't mind DJ. Just as long as Stoney leaves the sCrUBS, we win. Near the end of the season I found myself wandering a couple of cub message boards, enjoying the atmosphere, and when the Stone problems arose there were tons of fans who said they'd quit following the cubs if they lost stone. Real hardcore fans, eh? But whether we pick up viewership is beside the point, the point is that cub fans will be pissed when their hero in the booth goes to the good guys.

Wasn't there a bunch of talk of kenny leaving last year or the year before....when his kid got in some trouble??  Do you think he's had enough??

Maybe the rumblings are Stoney's long sought after aspiratoins of becoming a GM??

Comments???

No. KW will be the GM.

I'd like Stone in the organization. Wouldn't be a bad idea.

No.  KW will be the GM.

I'd like Stone in the organization.  Wouldn't be a bad idea.

He doesn't want to be a GM, he wants to be an owner. And judging from his past efforts to get a team he has enough money to be part of an ownership group.

What if the stock holders let him buy a chunk and bring him in as heir apparent to 68 year old JR?

With the launch of Comcast, I would imagine ratings are even more important to the White Sox. I'd guess the Cubs ratings won't waver much, even with Stone gone. Putting Stone in the booth would probably boost the Sox ratings, thus increasing advertising revenue. FWIW when ON TV was started, and Harry left, the Sox brought in Hawk and Don Drysdale, who had an ego just as big or bigger than Stone. Hawk and DD butted heads a few times in the booth, but got along just fine. I still remember Hawk breaking down when announcing DD's death several years ago.

DJ seems like a nice enough guy, but IMO he really offers nothing to the broadcast. The only time he really gives insight is when Hawk totally sets it up for him.