Dunno how true this is...

Rex Kickass

From dailykos.com, an admittedly liberal collection of diaries and blogs.

I made my decision a long time ago that I wasn't a Bush supporter...in 1992.  I voted Clinton, I voted Gore, and I'm going to vote Kerry.  I've always been the token liberal in all the military units that I've served in.  But, something happened to me today that hammered home why its important to defeat Bush.

I am an officer in the Army Reserves.  I served in Iraq, and I love my country, the Army, and my soldiers.  On paper, I'm responsible for about a hundred people, but in reality, I have much fewer.  My unit has been cut to pieces by call-ups and the dismall retention rate that the Reserves are suffering right now.

I got the word today that I had to provide soldiers for a mid-November mobilization and subsequent deployment to Iraq.  As usual, I started working the phones looking for volunteers because usually there are a few gung-ho types (like me a couple years ago) who want to go.  But, today the well ran dry.  No volunteers.  So now I have to pick.

I have several soldiers who meet the requirement, but I only have to give up half of them.  So I have to pick who goes and who stays.  I might be sending someone to their death, and it tears me up inside. 

We haven't always been able to fill our requirements with volunteers,  but we've been lucky enought to group most of our mobilized soldiers together in units so they could have some cohesion and some idea of who they would be depending on.  But because of the way this war is being managed, this new group of soldiers will be placed in a new unit and end up going to war with a bunch of strangers.  I won't be there to lead and protect them.  I'm just throwing them into the meat-grinder and hoping everything turns out okay.  I feel hollow inside for having to do this.

Once I realized that I would have to choose, that it was my desicion to make alone.  There was going to be no way for me to see my soldiers through this terrible ordeal.  Once I realized that I was going to have to do this to them, I had enough.  So, I wept.

This is something that I normally don't do.  My wife say that it was best to leave me alone, and I cried alone.  I cried because I'm sick of this war, this president, and the wrong direction this country is moving in.  I'm sick of neo-cons and chickenhawks and Toby Keith.  I'm sick of the religious right, and I'm sick of pick-up driving rednecks who never served a day in their life telling me who's ass we ought to go kick next.  I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.

So after I had finished, my wife came in and asked me what I was going to do next.  I told that I was going to do the best I could to make a good decision and try to do right by my soldiers.

And , bright and early tommorow morning I'm going to try and do right by them again.  I'm going to hang my American Flag from my front porch, and drive across town to try to make another good decision...in the voting booth where I cast my vote for John Kerry.

From dailykos.com, an admittedly liberal collection of diaries and blogs.

Ugh...

If you don't want hard decisions or have to worry about being in charge of a section, unit or an entire squadron, YOU SHOULD NOT BE AN OFFICER. This individual not only needs to be de-commissioned, but reprimanded for public statements and endorsements as such that he made.

In not attempting to sound too harsh, this is simply not conduct becoming of an officer. Publicly providing malice against the Commander and Chief over the armed forces (hint: YOU, sir), as well as the wide open endorsement of a candidate, combined w/ your complete lack of leadership should either land you back in OTS or out of the military. While the latter this is probably what this individual would want, for every one officer like this, I am glad to say, there are 1,000 true leaders and decision makers (like myself I'd like hope I'm seen as). I have had to make many tough calls in my short career thus far, and sure, they are tough, but you do not see my comments, thoughts or fears in the printed press.

Whether he agrees w/ his CIC is irrelevant to anything simply because of his occupation and, especially, his position.

I'd sure as hell like to know this individuals rank....

Ugh...

If you don't want hard decisions or have to worry about being in charge of a section, unit or an entire squadron, YOU SHOULD NOT BE AN OFFICER. This individual not only needs to be de-commissioned, but reprimanded for public statements and endorsements as such that he made.

It is at least heartening to know there are also those in the military who do not share your viewpoints.

Here's a thoughtful response to that original blog from an ex-military and current reservist.

I'm ex-Army (and USAR) and I hear you all the way!

I know lots of pickup driving rednecks who've never served a day in the military, and when they start their bulls*** I nail them right in the forehead with the truth. Like how it sure is amazing how they (like Toby Keith) have been curiously absent from the recruiting lines as usual - they always have an excuse like how they have families now, etc. They all think only Repugs join the military, yet few of their own family members seem to find their way into uniforms.

By contrast, most of my family is Democratic or independent, yet every single male in my family has done at least one enlistment (as well as a few females), and several like both of my brothers have been lifers. My family has bled several times for this country, some have died for it (in WWII, Korea, Vietnam and Gulf War I, not to mention going back to the Civil War), and four members of my family are in Iraq right now (and all are voting Kerry btw). I'll go toe to toe with any chickenhawk who wants to talk about paying the price of freedom any day of the week - most of them haven't paid anything.

I pray for you and your unit and hope your guys make it back OK. Tell 'em to keep their ass down and hang in there, help is on the way come next January!

Regime change begins at home on November 2nd!

It's heartening to know that there are leaders out there you cannot count on when it most matters? You haven't a clue...

And apparently, neither do you. Not everyone shares your opinion. Good for you and your moral stance. There's no need to s*** on others for theirs. And, in my opinion, shows a sign of weakness to blindly follow what you've been told and no strength to think outside the box.

And apparently, neither do you. Not everyone shares your opinion. Good for you and your moral stance. There's no need to s*** on others for theirs. And, in my opinion, shows a sign of weakness to blindly follow what you've been told and no strength to think outside the box.

Apparently neither do I? Ha. Blindly following is hardly what you'd call in regards to conduct of an officer. I will not waste anyone's time explaining anything to you either.

Apparently neither do I? Ha. Blindly following is hardly what you'd call in regards to conduct of an officer. I will not waste anyone's time explaining anything to you either.

You don't need to. I have 19 career militatry members in my family. And not one of them would s*** on another for holding a different opinion. It's called class.

Maybe Nuke would be so kind as to give you a lesson.

I just found this somewhat moving.  Most people in the guard never expected to be in this situation, and they are dealing with it. He did not identify himself, so for all I know it could be faked. But it got to me anyway.

Look dude, think what you want. I Report, You Decide.

And the fact that he did not identify himself is important. The guy is expressing HIS personal political views, not in any official military capacity but as a US citizen who happens to be an officer in the reserves.

And I agree, how many reservists thought they would be put into tis sort of position when they signed on - let alone things loke stop loss and ready reserve call-ups? Sure, it's there in the fine print when you sign on the line, but it is not what what most would have anticipated.

It's heartening to know that there are leaders out there you cannot count on when it most matters? You haven't a clue...

I have a clue. I was in the USAF and was deployed to both Saudi and Kuwait on separate deployments. While overseas, I worked with a good number of guys whose wives left them mid-deployment, cleaning out the bank account in the process. I met guardsmen who explained the financial binds they and their families were being put in due to their deployment. Having experienced these things first hand, in a military setting, and the mental anguish these folks went through, I can only hope that every officer that is tasked with deciding which soldiers' lives and lifestyles will be put in harm's way uses the same discretion and heartfelt concern as this officer did. A good leader doesn't abandon the needs of his troops and make wreckless decisions, apparently your idea of a leader is someone who couldn't give two s***s about the people who depend on him to make the right decisions. Maybe you shouldn't talk about conduct becoming of an officer until you yourself have been to OTS, it's quite obvious you're talking out of your ass or blindly partisan.

Now that I've said my peace on that subject, where are you stationed and what's your AFSC? I was a 2E151 (satcomm/wideband) with the 5th mob (tactical/mobile group) out of Robins AFB, GA. Did my four years and got out, but definitely miss it at times.

I have a clue.  I was in the USAF and was deployed to both Saudi and Kuwait on separate deployments.  While overseas, I worked with a good number of guys whose wives left them mid-deployment, cleaning out the bank account in the process.  I met guardsmen who explained the financial binds they and their families were being put in due to their deployment. Having experienced these things first hand, in a military setting, and the mental anguish these folks went through, I can only hope that every officer that is tasked with deciding which soldiers' lives and lifestyles will be put in harm's way uses the same discretion and heartfelt concern as this officer did.  A good leader doesn't abandon the needs of his troops and make wreckless decisions, apparently your idea of a leader is someone who couldn't give two s***s about the people who depend on him to make the right decisions.  Maybe you shouldn't talk about conduct becoming of an officer until you yourself have been to OTS, it's quite obvious you're talking out of your ass or blindly partisan. 

Now that I've said my peace on that subject, where are you stationed and what's your AFSC?  I was a 2E151 (satcomm/wideband) with the 5th mob (tactical/mobile group) out of Robins AFB, GA.  Did my four years and got out, but definitely miss it at times.

:notworthy

Well said. Thanks.

A good leader doesn't abandon the needs of his troops and make wreckless decisions, apparently your idea of a leader is someone who couldn't give two s***s about the people who depend on him to make the right decisions.

You are correct: a good leader does not abandon his troops, make wreckless decisions, and something else you forgot -- does not take his enlisted personnel for granted (especially my senior noncom's). Nowhere in my sentiments did I say anything about "not giving two s***s.." My statement was the publicity that he felt he needed to give those sentiments, all, much sadly, FOR POLITICAL REASONS.

Maybe you shouldn't talk about conduct becoming of an officer until you yourself have been to OTS, it's quite obvious you're talking out of your ass or blindly partisan.

Now that I've said my peace on that subject, where are you stationed and what's your AFSC? I was a 2E151 (satcomm/wideband) with the 5th mob (tactical/mobile group) out of Robins AFB, GA. Did my four years and got out, but definitely miss it at times.

Unfortunate to your arguement, I am a graduating Falcon. I, however, have been to Maxwell for AU, WC and SOC. Honest question: did you even look at my screen name before starting your tirade? 11F4H -- 11FX(Fighter Pilot), 11F4(Staff), 11F4H(F-16). O-3, 27th FW, 522nd FS.

You are correct: a good leader does not abandon his troops, make wreckless decisions, and something else you forgot -- does not take his enlisted personnel for granted (especially my senior noncom's). Nowhere in my sentiments did I say anything about "not giving two s***s.." My statement was the publicity that he felt he needed to give those sentiments, all, much sadly, FOR POLITICAL REASONS.

Unfortunate to your arguement, I am a graduating Falcon. I, however, have been to Maxwell for AU, WC and SOC. Honest question: did you even look at my screen name before starting your tirade? 11F4H -- 11FX(Fighter Pilot), 11F4(Staff), 11F4H(F-16). O-3, 27th FW, 522nd FS.

What I don't understand is that you upbraid the writer for promoting a candidate in an online forum, while you've clearly promoted a candidate yourself, in this online forum (soxtalk). Seeing as you're both unidentified (according to what I've read in this thread), what's the difference? I mean this as a serious question, not as a flame.

What I don't understand is that you upbraid the writer for promoting a candidate in an online forum, while you've clearly promoted a candidate yourself, in this online forum (soxtalk).  Seeing as you're both unidentified (according to what I've read in this thread), what's the difference?  I mean this as a serious question, not as a flame.

Have I flat out stated which candidate I support?

On a side note, I'm not really looking to attempt to engage in battles of online wits, arguements or what not. If anyone took offense about my reply to that(sorry, cliche) "bleeding heart" article w/ political motivations, then sorry, tough s***? I felt the behavior, as a military member -- an officer none-the-less -- was incorrect and so I expressed that.

I can respect opinions which I feel are false, to the contrary of what I am expressing, but by saying "Oh, I have 19 family members who are military..." or personal attacks that I am a "mindless drone that can't think outside of the box," or that I am "not a good leader," or that "I am full of s***.." are completely inaccurate, uncalled for and appear to very pathetic responses.

Good banter is always, well, good; there is just no need to try to compete for attention and military 'bragging' by the above-mentioned statements (some ver batum, others summarized) that I re-stated. Have a good day and I look forward to good discussions in the future that don't need to rely on attempted personal attacks. ;)

It's called.. "I don't like it so I'm going to hide behind my computer screen and talk s*** cause I can" syndrome.

And yes.. that is a flame.

My question is.. why the need to s*** on him for his opinion..? Does that give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside..? I'd also like for you to elaborate specifically on what your problem is with his words? He's still doing his duty. Professes love to the Army and the US. How has he become someone you label "not able to be counted on"? How has he provided malice? How does questioning motives make him a liability (my word, not yours), or a bad leader, or unable to make decisions?

Close minded, blindly following, unable to have an individual opinion, the inability to accept others opinions.. those are liabilities. IMO, of course..

By the way.. welcome to ST. Day #2... it's going to be an exciting relationship. :rolly

It's called.. "I don't like it so I'm going to hide behind my computer screen and talk s*** cause I can" syndrom.

And yes.. that is a flame.

I couldn't agree more so with that analysis of your own behavior.

My question is.. why the need to s*** on him for his opinion..? Does that give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside..? I'd also like for you to elaborate specifically on what your problem is with his words? He's still doing his duty. Professes love to the Army and the US. How has he become someone you label "not able to be counted on"? How has he provided malice? How does questioning motives make him a liability (my word, not yours), or a bad leader, or unable to make decisions?

Once again, I expressed my opinion, thank you. I also stated that I do not feel that need to elaborate on my opinion, as I have already (and continually do so) established myself in my military career. If you were a fellow officer, stationed w/ me, then we could elaborate on officer etiquette and so forth.

Close minded, blindly following, unable to have an individual opinion, the inability to accept others opinions.. those are liabilities. IMO, of course..

By the way.. welcome to ST. Day #2... it's going to be an exciting relationship.

I'm sure if you have to continually resort to unfounded personal attacks then I could care less if I have a relationship with you. :)

Not in so many words, but you made it clear enough that you assumed Brian knew who you supported, so I don't think it's accurate to say you've kept it under wraps.

But if only explicit mentions are taboo, would you drop your objections to this piece if the first and last paragraphs were dropped? (Those are the only 2 paragraphs that mention his choice explicitly.)

Once again, I expressed my opinion, thank you. I also stated that I do not feel that need to elaborate on my opinion, as I have already (and continually do so) established myself in my military career. If you were a fellow officer, stationed w/ me, then we could elaborate on officer etiquette and so forth.

I'm sure if you have to continually resort to unfounded personal attacks then I could care less if I have a relationship with you.  :)

Tit for tat, but this isn't a personal attack. Your a name on a message board and for all inteded purposes might very well be full of s*** and nothing I would bother attacking. Just asked some questions. Your reluctance, or inability, to elaborate speaks loud and clear.

Have a good one..

Um, I would say yes:

USAF_11F4H Posted on: Nov 1 2004, 11:46 AM

Replies: 81

Views: 782 We here in the military will be pulling almost uni-laterally in one direction for our Commander in Chief....

Let's keep it open for the non, but with an eye out for mudslinging.

For those keeping score, F4H (any relation to I4E?) was the first to denigrate the original blogger (who has a right to anonymously state a point of view and to preface it with some personal background for others to take in), and also the first to resort to personal attacks on othern posters here (Me = Cluless for supporting the blger's position, according to F4H).

That F4H does not see he was the first to go down that road, not Steff or anyone else here on this thread, is unfortunate.

So let's play nice and the thread can stay open.