Rumors thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacque Jones is way, way better than Carl Everett. Jones is much better defensively than Everett (who isnt?), has better power than Everett, and is also a hell of a lot less injury prone than Carl is. However, Jones is not a good fit in the AL central with all the good lefty pitchers in the division.

Despite ESPN.com's Jayson Stark's report, the Cubs have no intention of turning Kerry Wood into a closer.

Cubs GM Jim Hendry knows what a waste that would be and confirmed that he's never discussed that option with anyone. If the season started tomorrow, Ryan Dempster likely would be the Cubs' closer. Fortunately, there's still a few months left for the team to figure out a better solution. Dec. 13 - 12:01 am et

Dodgers GM Paul DePodesta said he's out of the chase for Corey Koskie, indicating that he intends to wait and see what happens with Adrian Beltre.

DePodesta said he should know whether a Beltre deal will be possible within a couple weeks, adding an offer hasn't been made but will be shortly. Dec. 13 - 12:12 am et

Gammons on Sportscenter

-Kevin Cash to Tampa Bay for Chad Gaudin (RP)

-Cashman talked with both Beltran and Milton

-White Sox seem out of Edgar/Cabrera sweepstakes

He said it was basicly a meeting of all talk and no action. I have to agree with the dipship on this one.

I forgot to mention that when Big Petey was on ESPNEWS the other host asked him if the Yanks were still going to sign Milton after getting Pavano, and he thinks so. He also talked about how they would look into moving Brown to Atlanta.

Moose

Vazquez

Pavano

Wright

Milton

That doesn't look too scary.

I forgot to mention that when Big Petey was on ESPNEWS the other host asked him if the Yanks were still going to sign Milton after getting Pavano, and he thinks so.  He also talked about how they would look into moving Brown to Atlanta.

Moose

Vazquez

Pavano

Wright

Milton

That doesn't look too scary.

Atlanta hav said they don't want Brown, so it's San Diego or nothing most likely.

Atlanta hav said they don't want Brown, so it's San Diego or nothing most likely.

Agreed.

They are stuck with Brown. Try as the might, unless they are willing to dish out a lot of scratch to cover is nasty contract, he'll be in Pinstripes this season.

I anticipate...

Moose

Pavano

Brown

Wright

Milton

Let's pray its not...

Randy Johnson

Moose

Pavano

Vazquez

Brown

Agreed.

They are stuck with Brown.  Try as the might, unless they are willing to dish out a lot of scratch to cover is nasty contract, he'll be in Pinstripes this season.

I anticipate...

Moose

Pavano

Brown

Wright

Milton

Let's pray its not...

Randy Johnson

Moose

Pavano

Vazquez

Brown

So how exactly does Vazquez end up in the Yankees rotation after he is traded for RJ? :P

I honestly wouldnt be shocked to see the Cubs try and work out a trade of Sosa for Kevin Brown, and then would make Brown their closer.  Just a pure guess though on my part, no source.

I would.

After the entire Jason Giambi/Gary Sheffield Balco fiasco, I seriously doubt Steinbrenner would trade for Sosa. Although Sam-me has yet to be implicated in any steroid allegations, there's no telling what may occur during his two year stinct with the Yankees.

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Mike Matheny and the Giants have agreed to terms on a three-year, $9 million contract.

Ugly. The 34-year-old Matheny is declining defensively and he's never been any good offensively. Even if A.J. Pierzynski was no longer an option, the Giants probably would have been better off starting Yorvit Torrealba than paying Matheny $3 million per year. Dec. 13 - 1:19 am et

:puke

I would.

After the entire Jason Giambi/Gary Sheffield Balco fiasco, I seriously doubt Steinbrenner would trade for Sosa.  Although Sam-me has yet to be implicated in any steroid allegations, there's no telling what may occur during his two year stinct with the Yankees.

yeah I agree... there were reports that Yankees would go even harder after Beltran because of the embarassement with Giambi, so I don't see them bringing in Sammy, espeically since he wouldn't fit in that clubhouse with his me first attitude

Is there any validity to a rumored trade between the Sox and Brewers where the Brewers get CLee and the Sox get Podsednik(possible Ginter)? Has anyone heard a similar rumor or seen an article about it? Personally, I think it could be a very good trade for the Sox(assuming Ginter is included). Podsednik's numbers were down last year, but I think he will rebound. His speed at the top of the order would also be a pleasant addition(he also plays solid D). Ginter would also be a nice addition. Ginter would be a perfect guy to platoon with Harris, and give Uribe and Crede an occasional day off. He has shown the ability to be a high .700/low .800 OPS guy, and has really excelled against lefties with a 3 year OPS of .868(in 178 AB). He also plays some pretty solid defense. Finally, this trade would free up some money. It should give the Sox enough money to sign a starter like OPerez or Clement, and maybe add another bullpen arm like Alverez(or acquire AJ to catch). I question the motive behind the Brewers though. They aren't one power hitter away from contending, and they add considerable payroll for a minor upgrade to the team in general. Furthermore, CLee could be a FA this next offseason as well. I would do that trade if I were the Sox. Giving you potentially the following lineup:

CF Podsednik

2B Harris/Ginter

DH Thomas/Everett(until Thomas is healthy)

1B Konerko

LF Rowand

RF Dye

SS Uribe

3B Crede

C Davis/Burke(wouldn't mind AJ)

RH Garcia

LH Buehrle

LH/RH OPerez/Clement

RH Contreras

RH Garland

RH Takatsu

LH Marte

RH Politte

RH Hermanson

LH Alverez

battle for the last spot between Cotts, Adkins, Diaz, Munoz, Grilli, ect

OF Everett

1B Gload

IF Ginter

C Burke

OF Escobar?

That would be a pretty solid team, and would probably keep the payroll under the 75M mark. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Corey Koskie is a physical away from getting a three-year, $17 million contract from the Blue Jays.

Probably one year too long, but what else is new? Unless the Jays can dump his contract on another team, Eric Hinske will be moved to first base to make room for Koskie. Dec. 13 - 2:21 am

:headbang

Talks with the Giants haven't gone well, so the Brewers are now discussing Scott Podsednik with the White Sox.

The teams might be discussing trading Podsenik and Keith Ginter for Carlos Lee. The Brewers have room in their budget and they could use a power-hitting outfielder. We don't think the White Sox should be trading for Podsednik when they have a superior center fielder in Aaron Rowand, but they like the idea of adding a leadoff hitter. Dec. 13 - 3:42 am et

I do not like that trade one bit.

The Brewers can get Marlon Byrd from the Phillies for reliever Jeff Bennett if they trade Scott Podsednik.

Sounds good to us. We still think Byrd has a brighter future than Podsednik. Dec. 13 - 3:39 am et

The Angels are on the verge of signing Esteban Yan to a two-year contract for about $3 million.

One year of a 3.83 ERA and that 2003 mark of 6.35 is completely forgotten. Dec. 13 - 5:16 am et

According to the New York Daily News, the Mets rejected a trade that would have netted them Manny Ramirez for Cliff Floyd.

The deal would have cost the Mets an additional $64 million over the next four years. It's unclear whether we've heard the last of this. Dec. 13 - 5:19 am et

They are gonna try to deal manny every year until that contract ends.

Coach Lovie Smith did not sound optimistic about Brian Urlacher's hamstring after yesterday's game.

Urlacher's injury-plagued season started on the first day of training camp. It's probably over now, but we'll wait for official word. To add insult to injury, Urlacher will be named the most overrated player in the NFL by the Sporting News. Dec. 13 - 10:43 am et