JR on the Score

Hatchetman

This AM with Mike North.

I can't say as I recall anything of interest from the conversation. Just the usual platitudes. He thought we'd have won the division the past three years with a #5 starter who could go 10-10. Said their top priorities are a starter and reliever. Had very good things to say about Uribe, so it looks like he may be our SS. Intimated there was no interest in Polanco.

I don't know how anyone could gather anything from what Reinsdorf said.

Mike North kept prattling on and on and on, interrupting Reinsdorf. Mike North doesn't know how to shut up and let the guest answer questions.

Reinsdorf finally had to say, "Slow down Mike ... let me talk for a minute."

Nothing new in this interview.

I don't know how anyone could gather anything from what Reinsdorf said.

Mike North kept prattling on and on and on, interrupting Reinsdorf.  Mike North doesn't know how to shut up and let the guest answer questions.

Reinsdorf finally had to say, "Slow down Mike ... let me talk for a minute."

Nothing new in this interview.

wait we found out he lives right next door to Randy johnson. You would think they could get lit up one night and get soemthing doen, tampering or no tampering. interesting that they live next door to each other, and Randy doesn't want to play for the s***ty sox. Telling I would say.

Thank God...Spend the money on a real player who was on a World Champion last year.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh

So you saying we souldn't sign Polanco?

So we sould sign someone cause he was on a world series winner?

Well I bet there was a lot of teams in line to Sign Buddy Biancalana after he won with the Royals in 1985 ;)

After that enchanting lip service from our chairman I feel real good. The money comment has me more than bothered. I see our payroll sitting about the same as last year. I believe we will fill the 5th starter roll. But will not attract a top tier FA. Everyone is worried about the Twins, but if the indians get Matt Clement and Troy Percival with that offense we will be in more trouble. The Tigers have money to spend. This is starting to become a depressing hotstove season already.

This AM with Mike North.

I can't say as I recall anything of interest from the conversation. Just the usual platitudes. He thought we'd have won the division the past three years with a #5 starter who could go 10-10.  Said their top priorities are a starter and reliever. Had very good things to say about Uribe, so it looks like he may be our SS. Intimated there was no interest in Polanco.

Anytime JR is conducting interviews on sports talk radio you know its important. My feeling is this organization is attempting to calm the emotions of Sox fans who have witnessed KW's "No Boras policy," as well as the passing of Guzman/Vizquel. Nothing odd about protecting the product; but again, if JR feels it necessary to talk to MIKE NORTH (of all people) this last week is weighing heavily on management. Mariotti's recent column likely provided the extra push.

About Palanco: what exactly was the context in which JR mentioned him? Did North list him as possible acquisition and JR replied "No," or out of nowhere Reinsdorf say, "Oh...and Palanco is not an option" I wonder because local newspapers haven't exactly courted Palanco as an interest of Williams, yet this website has been singing his praises for well over a week.

wait we found out he lives right next door to Randy johnson. You would think they could get lit up one night and get soemthing doen, tampering or no tampering. interesting that they live next door to each other, and Randy doesn't want to play for the s***ty sox. Telling I would say.

Nice to see you and your s***ty attitude back :P ;)

Nothing odd about protecting the product; but again, if JR feels it necessary to talk to MIKE NORTH (of all people) this last week is weighing heavily on management.  Mariotti's recent column likely provided the extra push.

Actually, from what I remember, JR and North get along real well. That is one of the reasons JR is courting The Score to carry the Sox and Bulls when their contract with 1000 runs out.

This AM with Mike North.

I can't say as I recall anything of interest from the conversation. Just the usual platitudes. He thought we'd have won the division the past three years with a #5 starter who could go 10-10.  Said their top priorities are a starter and reliever. Had very good things to say about Uribe, so it looks like he may be our SS. Intimated there was no interest in Polanco.

Based on that assessment, could KW be trying to get an ace knowing that a fallback plan must be getting a solid 5th starter. Its obvious they need to learn from this mistake the past few years cause its really killed the Sox.

oh yeah. he said they didn't sign guzman b/c of his s***ty road stats. you think JR isn't intimately involved with every decision KW makes?

Well good, that tells me that KW does look somewhat at stats. It also tells me they must be well aware of Konerko's poor road splits.

For us out of towners, was anything said about what the Sox ARE going to do instead of simply what they are NOT going to do?

Not specific players, but positions?

A right-fielder or center fielder?

A second baseman or shortstop?

A closer or a reliever?

Surely he's smart enough to understand he has to do SOMETHING to ignite the fans base.

Based on that assessment, could KW be trying to get an ace knowing that a fallback plan must be getting a solid 5th starter.  Its obvious they need to learn from this mistake the past few years cause its really killed the Sox.

regarding randy johnson, JR said they never agreed on a deal with arizona so they don't know if johnson would come here. so it seems like KW at least attempted.

with regard to general moves, he said that things were being held up as teams deal with the free agents first. he said opening day isn't until April and things will likely be slow to develop.

sounds like a repeat of last offseason.

the only thing he said is that they wanted to get a starter and a late inning reliever.

I'm glad cause to be honest, if the Sox didn't make any changes and had the payroll set at 75 million they could spend about 12 million on a pitcher/reliever and go into the season and I'd be quite pleased with the team. The only thing I'd gripe about would be Everett playing RF and I guess the fact that Willie isn't a proven leadoff hitter.

But a good late inning reliever (meaning a setup type guy) and a good starter, which you should be able to get both for 12 million would be awesome to me.

Hell, I still say that could be the offseason works out if the Sox don't agree to some type of deal of Konerko/Lee. IF they do trade Lee or Konerko then I expect them to sign a bat to replace them, just not to as expensive as a contract.