*Official* College Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing of all? Duke is going to actually have a down year. Here's to hoping its a downward spiral that ends up with coach K knawing cheese in a padded room. :drink

I can't wait till basketball starts either, but I'm nuts about college football also, so I'm still doing ok.

Greasy and any other IU fans, I want updates on DJ White as soon as possible. From everything I have read, they are going to need him to step in and play right away this year. I saw him play in HS last year and wasn't all that impressed. He didn't run the court well (seemed to run funny) and his effort was spotty. I hope I just caught him on a bad night, but it was in the state playoffs, so I can't understand why his effort would be half there.

Salukis, baby!!!!

Oh yeah, and Michigan will win the Big 10 ;)

I met Chris Lowery Saturday night. Real nice guy. I remember seeing him play in HS. Doesn't really have the look of a D-I coach, though. I hope they do well, except against the Throbbing Purple Aces.

Hey Greasy, any chance of a non-student getting tickets to a game at Assembly?

I know with the student package, we're guaranteed at the least 6 home games that are not during Thanksgiving or Christmas break, though there are games at that time. I know they keep so many tickets for each game for the public to purchase. If I don't get a ticket to the UNC game on December 1 (my b-day :headbang ), I plan on trying to buy it through the public route. I could try buying two tickets for that, if you would like to come down for that.

I'm just a freshman, so I'm by no means an expert on this system just yet. I guess this is the first year that IU has done the whole ticket ordering process online. I'll keep you posted, and also here is this link from the IU athletics site.

http://iuhoosiers.com/tickets/0405mbbsingle.pdf

EDIT: Looking at that, that's probably if you wanted to buy a package. However, that does include buying the Ball State game at Conseco and the Kentucky game at Freedom Hall.

Greasy and any other IU fans, I want updates on DJ White as soon as possible.  From everything I have read, they are going to need him to step in and play right away this year.  I saw him play in HS last year and wasn't all that impressed.  He didn't run the court well (seemed to run funny) and his effort was spotty.  I hope I just caught him on a bad night, but it was in the state playoffs, so I can't understand why his effort would be half there.

I should have some word on this guy really soon. My buddy became a manager for Indiana basketball today, and he's going to be at AH 2-7 everyday now. I'll be able to hear a lot from him, and I'll start hearing more later on.

Right now, you probably know more than I do, with you seeing him play. I've just been able to read a couple little bios about what kind of player he is. I will keep you posted though.

One more thing I don't understand.......

The headlines reporting the Joey Shaw say his signing "starts IU's 2005 class". My understanding is that they will only have three scholarships come open next season. If that is the case, then the two transfers from Auburn (Killingsworth and Monrow) along with Shaw should complete the 2005 class, not start it. Am I missing something here?

And FWIW, I really like Killingsworth. I saw him play many times on TV and live once last year at Alabama and he is a solid player. He'll rebound, defend and he has a real nice, soft shot from about 15 feet in.

One more thing I don't understand....... 

The headlines reporting the Joey Shaw say his signing "starts IU's 2005 class".  My understanding is that they will only have three scholarships come open next season.  If that is the case, then the two transfers from Auburn (Killingsworth and Monrow) along with Shaw should complete the 2005 class, not start it.  Am I missing something here?

And FWIW, I really like Killingsworth.  I saw him play many times on TV and live once last year at Alabama and he is a solid player.  He'll rebound, defend and he has a real nice, soft shot from about 15 feet in.

Yeah....IU's done from what I understand.

EDIT: Here's a question and answer about this BEFORE they signed Shaw from the Indy Star.

Question: Is there any update on the basketball prospects for next season? If I remember correctly, Coach Davis already had two or three kids signed at this point last year. (Cliff from Coralville, Iowa)

Answer: I think what people tend to forget with this year's class is that Mike Davis only had three spots to begin with, and he has already filled two of those for next year with the two transfers from Auburn -- Marco Killingsworth and Lewis Monroe.

That leaves him with one spot, and I know he's spending a lot of time looking at who would be the right fit for Indiana. My guess is that he goes for another big man, but I don't know that for certain.

What kind of team do they have this year?  Are they bringing anyone back?  Any new kids?

I'm not really sure. We have some good incoming freshman but it's always hard to tell. I will be watching extra close this year cuz I know all the players now cuz they come in to eat at the Union where I work and they're always friendly. It should be a good year, Kenny Harris is my player to watch. He looks really good this year, hopefully he can live up to the hype.

Awesome...I'll definitely have to talk to you about that when it gets a little closer.  I totally understand about not wearing red.  I had a friend from Purdue come down just for the IU-Mich State game, and told him to bring a red shirt or borrow one of mine.  I saw some people walking around with a Purdue b-ball shirt on at the tailgaiting at the first game of the year, he got so disgraced.  I'm planning on going to the IU-PU football game to close the season, and I definitely don't plan on wearing any red at the time.  I know how it works.

I mean, i could care less if you wear red in the general seats, but if it's possible to get you down on the floor, then you'd have to ditch it.

The past 2 years i've used IU student tickets to get into your place, so i'd wear a red IU hoodie in the place and then rip it off real dramatically to some loud boos.

I'm all about wearing your team's colors in other people's venues, but you understand this case.

I'll keep you updated on tickets, single season ones go on sale later this month i believe (if there are any available)

Dee brown will play this year, that redshirt rumor was bulls***.

It wasn't complete bulls***...but it was just a rumor. If his leg didn't progress it would have been an option for sure.

Brown will probly never be 100% this year. I bet he'll be 80-90% at best all year, but that's certainly good enough to play. Let's just hope he doesn't reaggravate it.

I met Chris Lowery Saturday night.  Real nice guy.  I remember seeing him play in HS.  Doesn't really have the look of a D-I coach, though.  I hope they do well, except against the Throbbing Purple Aces.

I think he is a decent choice. He went to SIU and played there. Worked under Weber and Pantier (sp?).

Southern had two stars arrested in the summer, not sure how that will effect the team.