Miles, Sanders sent down

cwsox

from the WS MLB main page:

"In good spirits and ready to play real baseball, the White Sox finished their two-game series in Houston with a sparkling 5-0 win over the Astros at Minute Maid Park. Following the game, infielder Aaron Miles and right-handed pitcher Dave Sanders were sent back to the minors"

Miles has his fan club here that wanted him to be on the 25 player roster.

I'm not a member of the "fan club" but am a little surprised with the assignment of Harris to the minors. I guess with three catchers and Graffanino, JM figures 1 bench infielder is all the Sox need.

Miles has his fan club here that wanted him to be on the 25 player roster.

I'm not a member of the "fan club" but am a little surprised with the assignment of Harris to the minors. I guess with three catchers and Graffanino, JM figures 1 bench infielder is all the Sox need.

I would have personally prefered to have miles on the roster of JP... but i can see why they went this wya.

I think they really sent a msg to hummel and harris... by keeping miles till the last day!

I still dont think harris will ever be able to hit ML pitching... hes ray ray without the talent.

Well, this call had to of been Jerry Manuel's to keep three catchers. I know Williams loves Olivo, but he also likes Willie Harris. It surprised me we carrier three catchers, and I disagree with the decision because it means Olivo may not get adequate playing time. If he's up there, then I want to see him play about 3 to 4 times a week (Thats Starting). Then you have Alomar catching two games and who knows what Paul will do. Then as the season progresses Olivo continues to develop and get handed more time. Its a very good way of grooming a catcher in my opinion.

Miles will be up here eventually. I hope Jimenez doesn't fail, but if he does then Miles is going to be the first person moved into the leadoff slot if he does. I really likes Miles though.

Then you have Alomar catching two games and who knows what Paul will do.

JP will keep the bench warm ;)

JP is going to relive alomar late in the games we have a big lead in... they are gonna keep him fresh, maybe get him one start a week....

This is going to be weird. I definately see it as a good learning experience for Olivo and it will keep Alomar well rested. Heck, maybe it will work, and then a couple months into the season, maybe even a month, once Olivo is ready to fully split the duty and become more of the starter, then they'll hope that Paul has some value and get something for him, bringing up a different type of player.

It'll be interesting to see how Miles does at AAA.

If he's crushing the ball, it will really tempt the Sox to get him up and find a way to either have him leadoff or get a combo of Miles and Jimenez at the top of the order. It may not be until next year though, when Miles is playing full time. Thats as long as Jimenez plays like some of us think he can and earns the shortstop job next season, with a new player taking over second. Right now the favorite for that position has to be Miles after both Harris and Hummel have failed to make the impact people thought they could of made.

to me, this is where the billy koch trade really screwed this team...if we didnt make that trade we wouldnt have had to sign sandy alomar...our catchers would have been johnson and olivo...we could have afforded to move paul and then give the 25th spot to miles...it gives us a 2nd middle infielder to go with graffy..much more flexibility off the bench..

alomar and his inability to finish a season forced the 3 catcher move..

Well if we had Mark Johnson, we wouldn't be carrying three catchers is what he's implying.

The thing is, Mark Johnson isn't a good catcher so it doesn't really matter to me. I really like Koch and I think he's going to only get better and keep getting better till he is either the best closer in the majors or at least one of the top 3. This guy is really good.

to me, this is where the billy koch trade really screwed this team...if we didnt make that trade we wouldnt have had to sign sandy alomar...our catchers would have been johnson and olivo...we could have afforded to move paul and then give the 25th spot to miles...it gives us a 2nd middle infielder to go with graffy..much more flexibility off the bench..

Mark johnson would not have been a good tutor for Olivio. Sandy was brought in to teach Olivio. They speak the same language, hes a stand up man, and an all-star. futhermore.. if we had kept MJ, he would have started in AAA with JP and olvio up here... since MJ still has a option left.

I don't think this three headed monster will last for long. They have to make sure Olivo can hang up here, if he can't they send him down and have Josh here. If he can, Josh gets the boot.

Call me crazy but I'll go out on a limb and say Sandy doesn't break down. :o

Re: the catching situation, there were two reasons why Alomar was brought in vs. keeping Mark Johnson:

1). Bi-lingual. Olivo's English is not that good. Alomar can tutor him better in their native tongue.

2). More experience handling a major league pitching staff and a better hitter than Johnson.

Losing Mark Johnson is no great loss, IMO.

Guest hotsoxchick1

we would have still had valentine too.. ..........

Baggs, Johnson and Olivo would not have flown. That is a worse combo than Alomar and Olivo.

The decision to keep 3 catchers was KW's not JM's. They kept JP (can I get any more initials) as insurance in case Olivo falters in the first month of the season. They were afraid to take a chance on losing him on waivers. Once Olivo establishes himself, JP will be shipped out.

If the Koch trade didn't happen, then we keep Johnson, Olivo and Paul or trade for a different catcher, because they still would be afraid to lose Paul since Olivo didn't hit this spring.

Baggs, Johnson and Olivo would not have flown.  That is a worse combo than Alomar and Olivo.

The decision to keep 3 catchers was KW's not JM's.  They kept JP (can I get any more initials) as insurance in case Olivo falters in the first month of the season.  They were afraid to take a chance on losing him on waivers.  Once Olivo establishes himself, JP will be shipped out. 

If the Koch trade didn't happen, then we keep Johnson, Olivo and Paul or trade for a different catcher, because they still would be afraid to lose Paul since Olivo didn't hit this spring.

mark johnson is ten times better behind the plate than alomar (ok i exaggerated a litttle , just a little though :D ) ...alomar's arm' arm is shot and he cant move well behind the plate anymore...mark johnson was buehrle's personal catcher...defensively johnson has all the tools..throws out 35-40% pct of runners , moves well , calls a great game...he just hasnt mastered the art of hitting...but in '01 he did hit 249..he could get back to that point again and with his defense he would be more than adaquate..much better imo than sandy..

ive always been a big sandy alomar fan...but its time for him to retire...bring him back as a coach...

as for johnson not speaking spanish...somebody on the bench has to be bi-lingual to translate....its not brain surgery :D

MJ was never better than a backup catcher and never will be.  The combination of Alomar and Olivo is not only better this year, but is better for the Sox in the long run as well.

2 questions.

what is your take on miles, is he the real deal or is he at best a minor leaguer. i wish him the best. i liked him since he was drafted, but i have never been able to get a good grasp on him.

do you think olivio has the making to be in the bigs. with him arm and maybe his defense i think we can deal with him. it is his bat that everyone swoons on and i am not that impress with his batting.