Illinois to get Zook per ESPN

Congratulations you guys, I know many on this board love Illinois. They are going to get a great coach when they sign this guy..apparently to be announced on Monday. Flordia definately jumped the gun on this guy, he is a great recruiter, and a great coach as well. It looks as if the Illinois football program may start to rebuild now...Once again Congrats.

I haven't heard this yet. This is fantastic news. Zook is exactly what our football program needs at this point. Although I was on the fence for awhile, I have just jumped off. Zook's recruiting ability is very exciting. He produced top three recruiting classes at Florida during his tenure there. I feel that Illini football has been done the past couple of seasons because good football players from the Chicago area and the state of Illinois have been going elsewhere. Illinios is actually a very recruit-heavy state and I feel confident that Zook will get a lot of bluechips in here.

Great move by the U of I. I can't wait to have him down here. He was the perfect choice at this point in time.

lmao notre dame is screwed.

how? by not getting meyer or zook? I guess Ferentz, Davis, Petrino, Weis, et al must be s*** then. I don't even think Zook was on NDs radar, so to say that they're "screwed" because they didn't get Meyer or Zook is jumping the gun a bit.

Wait and see.

how? by not getting meyer or zook? I guess Ferentz, Davis, Petrino, Weis, et al must be s*** then. I don't even think Zook was on NDs radar, so to say that they're "screwed" because they didn't get Meyer or Zook is jumping the gun a bit.

Wait and see.

Not Zook. But def. Meyer.

You know that one hurt.

Zook is a good move by the Illini. I still think if the Irish get Petrino, Tedford or Butch Davis that they did just fine. However, they don't want to end up having a search like the one last time around where almost everyone prolific seemed to turn down the notion of joining the ranks of the Irish.

Zook is a good move by the Illini.  I still think if the Irish get Petrino, Tedford or Butch Davis that they did just fine.  However, they don't want to end up having a search like the one last time around where almost everyone prolific seemed to turn down the notion of joining the ranks of the Irish.

like mooch? -- http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?i...TC-DT9705204233

Ya, I'm also assuming they will contact Shanny. The problem with going after NFL coaches is that their seasons aren't even near finished. Plus Mooch is making like 5 mill a year and ND didn't even offer that much for Meyer, the guy they wanted.

Hell, UW is gonna give Tedford a 2 mill a year offer and see if he accepts it and leaves Cal. Yet ND offers at the most 1.5 mill to Meyer, the guy they really wanted.

Considering ND isn't a very easy gig (with the academic standards) they better be smart about this and not let money get in their way if they find a guy they think can bring them back as one of the top schools.

I also assume they'll contact Carrol who would be flipping nuts to leave USC.

Imo, Butch Davis would be a fantastic hire. He did an outstanding job at Miami and was always a good recruiter. Petrino would be nice too, but I don't know if he'd be interested especially if Louisville or another school steps up and offers him a nice fat contract.

And Ferentz better not leave Iowa. Good god though, I couldn't even imagine the type of job he'd do at ND with top 5 or 10 recruiting classes. But alas, Ferentz better not be going anywhere. He's turning the Hawks into a freaking Powerhouse, plus his son is still a junior.

I know that losing Meyer hurt. That's obvious, because basically our recruiting is screwed for this year. However, my point was what does Illinois signing Zook have anything to do with ND? Absolutely nothing, so I don't understand why people have been on ND's case in this thread.

Can we get a coach nearly as good as Meyer still? I think so, Petrino, Weis and Tedford could all be possibilites with Ferentz, Davis, Stoops, and other wildcards as darkhorses.

I know that losing Meyer hurt. That's obvious, because basically our recruiting is screwed for this year. However, my point was what does Illinois signing Zook have anything to do with ND? Absolutely nothing, so I don't understand why people have been on ND's case in this thread.

Can we get a coach nearly as good as Meyer still? I think so, Petrino, Weis and Tedford could all be possibilites with Ferentz, Davis, Stoops, and other wildcards as darkhorses.

I'm not interested in Weis. I'm assuming your talking about the Pats OC? I'd much rather see Norm Chow then I would Weis.

What would everyone think about Al Groh from Virginia? I know their is talk he could go back to the NFL but he's a very good head coach and has done a good job at Virginia.

Still, I want Petrino or Davis.

And the reason the Meyer move hurts is because he was the reason ND fired Tyrone, imo. It sounds like the AD got stuck and didn't even want to fire him (this is coming from me whose actually for the firing).

ND got cheap and lost out on Meyer. No one is gonna convince me any different. If their offer was the same, even though Florida has more talent at this point, I don't see Meyer turning down his dream job.

ND better not let money get in their way. 2 mill is nothing compared to what the program makes off the football team and what will happen if they get a bowl game.

On a sidenote, I have long wanted to see ND join a freaking conference.

Ya, I'm also assuming they will contact Shanny.  The problem with going after NFL coaches is that their seasons aren't even near finished.  Plus Mooch is making like 5 mill a year and ND didn't even offer that much for Meyer, the guy they wanted.

Hell, UW is gonna give Tedford a 2 mill a year offer and see if he accepts it and leaves Cal.  Yet ND offers at the most 1.5 mill to Meyer, the guy they really wanted. 

Considering ND isn't a very easy gig (with the academic standards) they better be smart about this and not let money get in their way if they find a guy they think can bring them back as one of the top schools.

I also assume they'll contact Carrol who would be flipping nuts to leave USC. 

Imo, Butch Davis would be a fantastic hire.  He did an outstanding job at Miami and was always a good recruiter.  Petrino would be nice too, but I don't know if he'd be interested especially if Louisville or another school steps up and offers him a nice fat contract.

And Ferentz better not leave Iowa.  Good god though, I couldn't even imagine the type of job he'd do at ND with top 5 or 10 recruiting classes.  But alas, Ferentz better not be going anywhere.  He's turning the Hawks into a freaking Powerhouse, plus his son is still a junior.

Supposedly Meyer had already said he was going to UF before ND even got there. The money wasn't a sticking point as many wish to believe, for Meyer to come to ND he wanted 6 exceptions to the academic standards for recruits. That's way too many for a school that still adheres to the concept of "student-athlete".

Meyer went to UF because he could win easier there and get the players he wants (plus UF is already damn good). Plain and Simple, it had little to do with money, and if money were the only obstacle I doubt ND would have balked at not forking over the dough...they have a 3 billion dollar endowment for christ's sake.

Supposedly Meyer had already said he was going to UF before ND even got there. The money wasn't a sticking point as many wish to believe, for Meyer to come to ND he wanted 6 exceptions to the academic standards for recruits. That's way too many for a school that still adheres to the concept of "student-athlete".

Meyer went to UF because he could win easier there and get the players he wants (plus UF is already damn good). Plain and Simple, it had little to do with money, and if money were the only obstacle I doubt ND would have balked at not forking over the dough...they have a 3 billion dollar endowment for christ's sake.

They are hoping the mystique of ND will get people to come for less, imo. I just get that feeling. If ND steps up and dishes out the cash I'll be pleased cause their are some very good candidates out there still.

My irk is, ND fired Whillingham to get Meyer and since so many circles seem to know he may of already been going to Florida, ND should of been smarter. Maybe sent out a flyer before firing Tyrone or something.

But if your going to not have a plan B, then you better make damn sure you got a very good shot at your plan A.

I'm not interested in Weis.  I'm assuming your talking about the Pats OC?  I'd much rather see Norm Chow then I would Weis. 

What would everyone think about Al Groh from Virginia?  I know their is talk he could go back to the NFL but he's a very good head coach and has done a good job at Virginia. 

Still, I want Petrino or Davis. 

And the reason the Meyer move hurts is because he was the reason ND fired Tyrone, imo.  It sounds like the AD got stuck and didn't even want to fire him (this is coming from me whose actually for the firing).

ND got cheap and lost out on Meyer.  No one is gonna convince me any different.  If their offer was the same, even though Florida has more talent at this point, I don't see Meyer turning down his dream job. 

ND better not let money get in their way.  2 mill is nothing compared to what the program makes off the football team and what will happen if they get a bowl game. 

On a sidenote, I have long wanted to see ND join a freaking conference.

Ty got paid just over 2million. They defintely are not going to be cheap when it comes to a Head Coach.

I agree with you about wanting Petrino, his offense was actually better than Meyer's this year...only I worry about his ability to recruit under our standards. I really don't know much about Davis, but he just doesn't seem to fit the ND profile...that's just a hunch on my part. I really believe that the recruiting restrictions is what turns off all of these top-flight coaches, and maybe ND should look into giving 1 or 2 exceptions per class (not 6 though, that's insane).

The thing about the conference though...I doubt we'll ever see that happen. As long as ND has its contract with NBC, being in a conference does nothing for them. All of the ND home games are nationally televised and most road games are as well. If they join a conference that means they'd have to kick back bowl money to said conference...ND is too greedy for that. Last time then went to a BCS bowl they pocketed $14million. So what is there to gain from joining a conference at this juncture? An easier schedule is the only plus I see, but ND itself has already decided to start making the schedule easier (I think starting in 2008).

They are hoping the mystique of ND will get people to come for less, imo. I just get that feeling.  If ND steps up and dishes out the cash I'll be pleased cause their are some very good candidates out there still.

My irk is, ND fired Whillingham to get Meyer and since so many circles seem to know he may of already been going to Florida, ND should of been smarter.  Maybe sent out a flyer before firing Tyrone or something. 

But if your going to not have a plan B, then you better make damn sure you got a very good shot at your plan A.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about having a plan before firing Ty. That was my sticking point as to whether or not I would agree with Ty getting fired. Therefore, if ND is gonna be in the dark as to who will be their next coach I think they should have thought this out a bit more.

P.S.: I think this thread has been officially hijacked. :P

Ty got paid just over 2million. They defintely are not going to be cheap when it comes to a Head Coach.

I agree with you about wanting Petrino, his offense was actually better than Meyer's this year...only I worry about his ability to recruit under our standards. I really don't know much about Davis, but he just doesn't seem to fit the ND profile...that's just a hunch on my part. I really believe that the recruiting restrictions is what turns off all of these top-flight coaches, and maybe ND should look into giving 1 or 2 exceptions per class (not 6 though, that's insane).

The thing about the conference though...I doubt we'll ever see that happen. As long as ND has its contract with NBC, being in a conference does nothing for them. All of the ND  home games are nationally televised and most road games are as well. If they join a conference that means they'd have to kick back bowl money to said conference...ND is too greedy for that. Last time then went to a BCS bowl they pocketed $14million. So what is there to gain from joining a conference at this juncture? An easier schedule is the only plus I see, but ND itself has already decided to start making the schedule easier (I think starting in 2008).

I hope your right, I just figure they are gonna be on the cheaper side specifically since they are still paying Tyrone as well.

On a sidenote, while ND may lose some money going to a conference they should also have better recruiting classes because being affiliated with a conference, imo, helps that.

Of course ND gets televised all the time. I think if they can work out some special deal with a conference looking for a big name things could work out well for ND and the conference.

Your right on Petrino. I agree with you though, a couple of exceptions if fine by me. I want ND to still be a proud school that adheres to academic standards because 90% of the players are done with football when their college career is over so you have to do what you can to prepare them.

I would think that having Brady Quinn and the freshman running back (his name escapes me at the moment) will help lure an offensive minded coach over here. I'm kind of thinking thats the type of guy ND is looking for.

I'd be elated with Butch Davis cause he knows what its like to handle mega pressure (see Miami) and was a dominant recruiter in college and actually cleaned up Miami's negative image (in terms of standards). Very good offensive mind too.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about having a plan before firing Ty. That was my sticking point as to whether or not I would agree with Ty getting fired. Therefore, if ND is gonna be in the dark as to who will be their next coach I think they should have thought this out a bit more.

P.S.: I think this thread has been officially hijacked.  :P

Haha.

But ya, I read in a trib article that White (the AD) hand was basically forced when their advisor group (or whatever it was called) pretty much voted on firing Whillingham so it was kind of like oh s***, I guess I have to do it now instead of thinking things out.

The AD and ND doesn't have the power and AD would at most schools and I think that could hurt as well. I'd rather entrust one person and White seems to have done a good job (great hire in Brey for BBall) and their baseball program is good, especially for a midwest school and he should be entitled to run the athletics as he sees fit. He's earned that, imo.

The thing about the conference though...I doubt we'll ever see that happen. As long as ND has its contract with NBC, being in a conference does nothing for them. All of the ND  home games are nationally televised and most road games are as well. If they join a conference that means they'd have to kick back bowl money to said conference...ND is too greedy for that. Last time then went to a BCS bowl they pocketed $14million. So what is there to gain from joining a conference at this juncture? An easier schedule is the only plus I see, but ND itself has already decided to start making the schedule easier (I think starting in 2008).

I'd be curious to add up the dollars Notre Dame has received from bowl games in the last 3 yrs., 5yrs. and 10 yrs., versus a team from the Big Ten or the SEC such as Michigan or Tennessee.

I'm guessing that despite the fact Notre Dame gets to keep all of their revenues from bowl games, the numbers might surprise you.

On the TV side, doesn't the contract with NBC end after next season? From what I have read, there is no way the Irish will get the same kind of deal after their recent struggles. I don't have numbers, but I do believe their ratings have been down significantly.