Rate the Trade

aboz56

What do you think of this trade?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this trade?

• Sox got majorly fleeced
    • We got a true leadoff hitter!
    • I'm indifferent, wait until the season to judge

Thx for the stats, did not know where to find them.

Highest SB # was 35 in 125 games.

Not close to what he did in 2003 and 2004 at the major league level.  He's improved in that skill.

Best site for any minor league stats that you need. I agree that he has improved stealing bases. But it is not like he attempted alot of bases and could not swipe them clean. Is it a possibility that no one really knew how good of a base stealer he was?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can’t punch the ballot on your poll.  I don’t really fit any of the choices.  I’m happy with the trade.  Players like Lee are a dime a dozen anymore.  We got some speed, and are starting to move away from the homerun wagon that hasn’t worked the past few years in Chicago.  Pods gives us some speed, a decent leadoff guy, and a threat on the basepaths.  I’m okay with this right now; I just want to see us get a solid guy to put into the rotation w/ the extra cash.

Thats at the heart of the matter with the Sox. Without one more solid starter to cement a good starting 5 then nothing else they do in the off season will matter a whole lot.

I agree with others on this board when they say that this is not necessarily about one trade, it is about reshaping the Sox roster. Big bats haven't helped the Sox win squat since 2000. Even with Maggs and Frank out for large portions of last year, the Sox didn't have trouble scoring runs. Homeruns were definitely not a problem.

Of course, I'm in the minority because I believe that Dye and Everett (he who is given up for dead by some) can be productive major league players, especially at USCF. Is Podsednik a great player? No. Is Carlos Lee the second coming of Barry Bonds? No. Carlos has been in the majors for six full seasons and is 28 years old. He's not that "young" nor that likely to suddenly break-out into a super stud. Does he have the talent? Yes, but at this point, Carlos is what he is. A very good player, but not a great player.

The Sox are becoming a pitching-rich team with strong power (at least five to six 20-HR potential guys), better defense, and more speed. Those that want Willie to bat 9th got their wish. The Sox also have the chance to get a catcher or another starter or actually trade for a good player in July.

Looking over his numbers you can see he didn't get that much playing time certain years but his minor league numbers aren't near as bad as some people would lead you to believe.

If you notice in his full seasons in leagues he had quite solid numbers and worked hard and learned and turned into a pretty solid leadoff hitter. I expect his numbers next season to fall in between this year and the previous season.

I maintain our trades SUCK.

Carlos Lee is a name player, a stud and we get Pod and

the reliever.

This trade excites anybody???

Tell me why.

With Frank out, Maggs gone and Hurt possibly out til May

we could be looking at a lotta 7-0 losses.

well lets look at our lineup now really quick

Podsenick

Rowand

Dye

Konerko

Everett

Uribe

Crede

Davis

Willie

that lineup while far from scary on paper i think can get some serious runs in... And than if you add in Thomas who we arent exactly positive when he will be back even though its rumored to be June we should still be able to score runs... this can be the first time in awhile where we have an effective top of the order... So while we all miss Clee les not judge a trade until we get to see it in action and what else comes from it

There are great great baseball people on here.

Is anybody excited about this?:

Everett

Uribe

Crede

Davis

Willie

Seriously that could be one of the worst hitting five

somes on paper I've ever heard of.

I realize our lineup could change some more, but

yikes!

There are great great baseball people on here.

Is anybody excited about this?:

Everett

Uribe

Crede

Davis

Willie

Seriously that could be one of the worst hitting five

somes on paper I've ever heard of.

I realize our lineup could change some more, but

yikes!

Could also be awesome if Carl returns to form, Uribe shows it wasn't a fluke, Crede gets it together, and Willie and Ben don't struggle too much. Also, Frank would still be out.

I know this much. The Murderers Row of Frank, Maggs, Carlos, and Paulie has won zero division crowns from 2001 through the present. Going into 2005 with the same of team makes no sense whatsoever. It was time to try a different approach. I believe this team still will do some retooling and the Sox that take the field in April is not the one we see on paper right now.

I know this much.  The Murderers Row of Frank, Maggs, Carlos, and Paulie has won zero division crowns from 2001 through the present.  Going into 2005 with the same of team makes no sense whatsoever.  It was time to try a different approach.  I believe this team still will do some retooling and the Sox that take the field in April is not the one we see on paper right now.

Yes sir, I have to agree with that. It also struck me as I was driving this morning regarding the "quality" and ability of Pods v. Lee; if I was drowning, I would gladly trade my Suburban for a leaky old row boat. I've said several times that lead off has been a consistent problem. Perhaps a B- lead off hitter is better for this team than a B+ middle of the order guy.

I maintain our trades SUCK.

Carlos Lee is a name player, a stud and we get Pod and

the reliever.

This trade excites anybody???

Tell me why.

With Frank out, Maggs gone and Hurt possibly out til May

we could be looking at a lotta 7-0 losses.

I agree with you. It's hard to see Carlos go. But if the Sox can sign a pitcher or a middle infielder because of this trade, then it's hard to me to say it, but it'd be a good trade. Carlos Lee has been one of my favorite players on the Sox ever since I started liking them which was in 1993. I hope Scott P can help Willie on the base paths though.

I can't fully asses the trade without seeing which pitcher we get in free agency. That was part of the reason we made the deal after all. I like Podsednik, but I like the 2003 version of him more. I like the look of our bullpen now as well. Pitching, speed, and defense is the way you win this game.

Fairwell Carlos, you will be missed. :unsure:

I agree with others on this board when they say that this is not necessarily about one trade, it is about reshaping the Sox roster. Big bats haven't helped the Sox win squat since 2000.  Even with Maggs and Frank out for large portions of last year, the Sox didn't have trouble scoring runs.  Homeruns were definitely not a problem.

Of course, I'm in the minority because I believe that Dye and Everett (he who is given up for dead by some) can be productive major league players, especially at USCF.  Is Podsednik a great player?  No. Is Carlos Lee the second coming of Barry Bonds?  No.  Carlos has been in the majors for six full seasons and is 28 years old.  He's not that "young" nor that likely to suddenly break-out into a super stud.  Does he have the talent? Yes, but at this point, Carlos is what he is.  A very good player, but not a great player.

The Sox are becoming a pitching-rich team with strong power (at least five to six 20-HR potential guys), better defense, and more speed.  Those that want Willie to bat 9th got their wish.  The Sox also have the chance to get a catcher or another starter or actually trade for a good player in July.

Well said. What people also have to realize is the sox have to improve their roster in order to win games at home but esp on the road. The 3 run HR plays well at USCF but not that well on the road. Even w/o Lee, Maggs and Jose, the sox will hit a lot of HR's with guys like Dye, Frank, PK, Everett, Crede, Aaron and Uribe all good locks to hit more than 20.

The sox were 46-35 at home last year. Decent. But horrible on the road, 37-44. Even if the sox improve to near .500 on the road [say 41-40], it would have gotten them to 87-75. IMO, the sox are changing their roster for the better, getting guys who can help them win at home and on the road. Playoff teams win on the road, to at least .500.

I love CLee and its hard to say goodbye, but we got Podsednik and I am very excited about the direction this team is going.

I also like the direction the sox are going. It shows that Ozzie has big pull in this team. He had to make do with what he had in 2004. Yet w/ moves like this, he'll have his "horses" to play his aggressive style of ball. The moves may or may not work out, w/ injuries and the uncertainties of baseball being what they are. Yet one thing is for sure, White Sox baseball won't be boring in 2005.

I'll take aggressive defense, solid pitching, and more consistent scoring from the offense over what I've seen the last 4 yrs.

Williams said in his press conference the additional player is a minor league organizational guy, so the ESPN1000 guys gave bad info yesterday afternoon.

As Hunstville plays in the same div, as the Barons in AA and MIL's AAA team is also in the IL, the Sox should know the prospect pretty well.

I guess it's lost on most that the "Black Hawkization" of the White Sox is in full swing. This trade blows in a most major way.

I guess it's also lost on some that the sox have key guys signed/ under contract for a few years [Garcia, Buerhle, Dye, Marte, Rowand, Uribe, etc etc] and have solid prospects near who can help [sweeney, Anderson, BMac]

The sox aren't selling off their players like the Blackhawks and going with bottom of the barrel talent. Lee is talented. But the sox have 2 guys with different talents lacking on the Sox who can help now, another prospect who could help, and the money for another SP like Clement.

Time will tell if this trade blows. I don't think so. But C Lee could easily have another 2002 yr when he had 1 SB, only hit .264, and was out of shape.