*Official* Clement to Boston

Guest JimH

I was curious about those quotes by his agent also. I could understand not wanting to go to a place like NY because of media scrutiny and such, but the writer's speculation that he maybe back off on Cleveland because he would maybe be considered their ace, although Sabbathia is a better pitcher, is a huge red flag IMO.

The only words quoted are "the savior". Is he a #1? No. Would he be on certain teams? AZ, Yes. cle? No.

Maybe he'd put too much pressure on himself to prove he was the staff ace [which leads to overthrowing and better chances to get hurt], who knows.

there are solid reasons why people wouldn't want Clement on the sox. But I wouldn't be scared off of him because of a writer's speculation.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the quotes deals with Clement coming in and replacing Pedro. Any top SP who does go there will be asked to fill in right where Pedro left off.

That is entirely not true. Boston fans are smart, and they know very well Matt Clement is no Pedro Martinez. They also know, however, he has the talent to be a starter commanding the upper part of their rotation.

Clement has no confidence. He's no gamer. If he can't get excited to accept a large role for the defending world champions at the likely price they would agree to pay him, then I'm not very excited to commit to his paralyzing self-doubt.

That is entirely not true.  Boston fans are smart, and they know very well Matt Clement is no Pedro Martinez.  They also know, however, he has the talent to be a starter commanding the upper part of their rotation. 

Clement has no confidence.  He's no gamer.  If he can't get excited to accept a large role for the defending world champions at the likely price they would agree to pay him, then I'm not very excited to commit to his paralyzing self-doubt.

I understand what you are saying, but you are not in Red Sox nation. I don't think he is worried about what the team thinks...he's worried about replacing two pitchers, Pedro and Schilling (at least for the beginning of the year). The fans will get on him hard. Perhaps he knows himself well enough. Personally, I wouldn't want to pitch in Philly...those fans are brutal.

of course, if I got 3 yrs/$30 mil...that could probably change my mind. :ph34r: :lol:

That is entirely not true.  Boston fans are smart, and they know very well Matt Clement is no Pedro Martinez.  They also know, however, he has the talent to be a starter commanding the upper part of their rotation. 

Clement has no confidence.  He's no gamer.  If he can't get excited to accept a large role for the defending world champions at the likely price they would agree to pay him, then I'm not very excited to commit to his paralyzing self-doubt.

Then he would be grossly overpayed at $9+M a year. If he wants to slink down to a #2 or #3 pitcher in a rotation where he doesn't have to worry about pitching "with so much pressure", then he should be worth no more than $6-7M a year.

EDIT: Use the extra $3M to buy him a set of balls.

Edited by USAF_11F4H

Then he would be grossly overpayed at $9+M a year. If he wants to slink down to a #2 or #3 pitcher in a rotation where he doesn't have to worry about pitching "with so much pressure", then he should be worth no more than $6-7M a year.

EDIT: Use the extra $3M to buy him a set of balls.

Haha, good point. He wants #1 starter money, but #4 starter expectations.

Is that why he got benched?

Health reasons too.

Let's just get a f***ing pitcher already. Thankfully I didn't see our name mentioned in the Eric Milton sweepstakes. Boston is trying to buy him now:

Agent Casey Close said the Red Sox have entered the running for Eric Milton.

Besides the Red Sox, the teams competing for Milton include the Cardinals, Dodgers, Indians, Angels and Marlins, Close said.

I'm glad we at soxtalk have a staff of trained pychologists ready to diagnose potential Sox players based on a sportswriters' speculation. I'm satisfied. Let's get him counseling, then maybe sign him.

I'm sure some posters here would gladly donate some couch time if it meant getting that SP hole filled.

I'd be too busy screaming at Garland "WHAT THE f*** IS WRONG WITH YOU? YOU'VE MADE NO IMPROVEMENTS SINCE COMING HERE! YOU'RE A FORMER FIRST ROUND PICK BY THE CUBS!!!"