Films

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 02:40 PM)
I just watched "City of God" after seeing it as #17 on the imdb Top 250 Movies of all time. I have to say, I was very disappointed. While the movie was solid a 7/10. I see nothing about it worthy of such praise. I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course but I am curious about why people love this movie so much. To me it was just a simple story, one that was very typical and not ground breaking in any way. The guy starts small with big dreams, gains power/takes control, gets huge, controversy happens between two groups, people die. I mean, its like the movie copied its plot from scarface. The only difference being its about life in the slums, its told by a narrator and its foreign.

My ideas are some people like the movie simply because its foreign. They hate hollywood. I hate most of what hollywood has done lately, too. It doesn't make this movie a 10/10. The other thought I have is people love this movie because its lessor known. They like being in an exclusive group that knows about this movie.

Anyone else see this movie?

I believe what defines the movie for many of its fanbase is exactly the points which you alluded to -- particulary, a similar plot structure to Scarface.

When you exclude setting, the main character's narration, and the foreign element as being the "only difference" from Scarface, those are each significant differences which set it apart.

For me, originality isn't what I immediately look for in identifying a quality film. It's just too rare for an inventive idea to come along. And when you really think about it, the only genre of film capable of such an accomplishment is science fiction or horror. Large percentage of thriller, romantic comedy, mystery, action film (insert remaining genres) typically have retread and/or simple story lines. It's what filmmakers do with the film which matters.

I'll give you this for example -- Heat. What exactly sets it apart? You systematically tear apart it's storyline, you simply have a cops and robber movie. Obviously, it's not that simple. The characters, dialog, cinematography, soundtrack all set it apart from other films. Similarily, City of God sets itself apart from Scarface by using an old storyline in a unique way.

I'm not really a huge fan of the film, either. Although I can understand why people like it. Scarface is practically god-like in stature to some, yet personally, I'd rather view Carlito's Way because it's not nearly as over the top. People just have their own preferences.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 4, 2007 -> 06:46 AM)
I believe what defines the movie for many of its fanbase is exactly the points which you alluded to -- particulary, a similar plot structure to Scarface.

When you exclude setting, the main character's narration, and the foreign element as being the "only difference" from Scarface, those are each significant differences which set it apart.

For me, originality isn't what I immediately look for in identifying a quality film. It's just too rare for an inventive idea to come along. And when you really think about it, the only genre of film capable of such an accomplishment is science fiction or horror. Large percentage of thriller, romantic comedy, mystery, action film (insert remaining genres) typically have retread and/or simple story lines. It's what filmmakers do with the film which matters.

I'll give you this for example -- Heat. What exactly sets it apart? You systematically tear apart it's storyline, you simply have a cops and robber movie. Obviously, it's not that simple. The characters, dialog, cinematography, soundtrack all set it apart from other films. Similarily, City of God sets itself apart from Scarface by using an old storyline in a unique way.

I'm not really a huge fan of the film, either. Although I can understand why people like it. Scarface is practically god-like in stature to some, yet personally, I'd rather view Carlito's Way because it's not nearly as over the top. People just have their own preferences.

I'm with you on Carlito's way Flash. I think it is a more enjoyable movie. However, it does get to feel a bit long at points.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 4, 2007 -> 12:46 AM)

I didn't meant to simplify the plot of "city of gawd" that much. I just find it remarkably simple. Heat's plot has a lot of little twists going on in it that made the movie exciting and suspenseful to me. For example, the fact that the opposing main characters had a relationship with each other. There are more like the issues with Val's character, but forgive me, I haven't seen heat in a while. The point is, city of god gave me almost no surprises at all. In fact, the movie even tried to ruin the would be surprises needlessly, by hinting at certain things like the story of KO ned. I didn't find myself wondering 'what would happen next.' I found myself waiting for it to happen.

Really, after typing that, I think character development is the what makes the movies you mentioned better than "city of god." For some reason this movie failed to generate a character who I actually cared about enough to keep my interest. There was no one for me to admire. There were no memorable characters that made the movie distinct. Carlito's Way had Carlito. Heat had several. Gangs of New York had Bill the Butcher. Scarface had Tony Montana. Those movies will stand the test of time because of those outstanding characters. Will this?

I guess that is my real problem with it.

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 4, 2007 -> 09:11 AM)
I didn't meant to simplify the plot of "city of gawd" that much. I just find it remarkably simple. Heat's plot has a lot of little twists going on in it that made the movie exciting and suspenseful to me. For example, the fact that the opposing main characters had a relationship with each other. There are more like the issues with Val's character, but forgive me, I haven't seen heat in a while. The point is, city of god gave me almost no surprises at all. In fact, the movie even tried to ruin the would be surprises needlessly, by hinting at certain things like the story of KO ned. I didn't find myself wondering 'what would happen next.' I found myself waiting for it to happen.

Really, after typing that, I think character development is the what makes the movies you mentioned better than "city of god." For some reason this movie failed to generate a character who I actually cared about enough to keep my interest. There was no one for me to admire. There were no memorable characters that made the movie distinct. Carlito's Way had Carlito. Heat had several. Gangs of New York had Bill the Butcher. Scarface had Tony Montana. Those movies will stand the test of time because of those outstanding characters. Will this?

I guess that is my real problem with it.

That was one of the key points in making the movie. That's what happens there. It's only a matter of time (and not much time) before you die.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 4, 2007 -> 10:54 AM)
for the record i hated scarface and carlitos way.

for the record i hate brian depalma.

Did he screw your ex girlfriend or something?

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Mar 4, 2007 -> 01:16 PM)
That was one of the key points in making the movie. That's what happens there. It's only a matter of time (and not much time) before you die.

I guess I just don't see what there is to like about a movie like that. Is it supposed to be shocking or meaningful?

A lot of people rag on hollywood for making predictable movies with predictable plots. To me this was no different.

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 4, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
Did he screw your ex girlfriend or something?

I guess I just don't see what there is to like about a movie like that. Is it supposed to be shocking or meaningful?

A lot of people rag on hollywood for making predictable movies with predictable plots. To me this was no different.

The thing with Hollywood, they recycle characters too. Reusing a plot is one thing, and as already said, unavoidable to a point. The characters in City of God break certain stereotypes. How many gangster flicks are seen through the eyes of a photographer? Think about the cinematography in City of God too. It's some of the best you'll find anywhere.

Also, City of God is an adaptation of a novel. And just a little trivia via IMDB: "When Knockout Ned ('Mané Galinha' in the Brazilian version) kills someone for the first time, some people who live in the City of God approach him and congratulate him for the killing. The first woman to talk to him was played by the mother of the real Knockout Ned."

Edited by BobDylan

yeah i mean it's not like scarface was an original storyline...all the early 30's gangster movies had the same plot of glorifying it and then killing them just to show "crime doesn't pay"... unlike scarface, scarface, public enemy - city of god's violence was real and gritty. Not overly stylized and gawdy.

my school throws a film festival (docs only) every year entitled True/False, and i went to go see "The Devil Rides on Horseback", a documentary about one man and his fight to end violence in darfur. He was a marine who ended after his four years and signed up to be a patrolman to oversee sudan's ceasefire, and then while there began to hear about darfur, relinked up with the marines and asked to be in darfur where he spent 6 months investigating the region. He saw all the death and murder, and unable to act he eventually left and when he came back to america started the fight to end the violence, and at the end, you see a different man, still inspired, but noticeably defeated in nothing being done. So many great interviews and moments. Very well done. I would encourage everyone to try and see it! Highlights: interview with english speaking darfur-refugee in chad where he praises america for their aid(charities with food and such) - very powerful - And when the marine has a forum discussing all the pictures he saw and why we need to intervene in darfur, and at the forum, three sudanese stand up and ridicule him, saying he's lying and that the evidence wasn't convincing enough. He says he thinks the sudan embassy planted them.

The Public Enemy is one of my top 5 favorite movies. I just referenced scarface because most people have seen it. There was nothing gawdy about that 1931 movie, that's pretty ridiculous. Most of the time people were being killed in The Public Enemy it wasn't even directly filmed yet you still knew it happened, making the movie even more intense imo. It was stylized, yes, very.

I guess it depends on your definition of gawdy. City of god, scarface, Gangs of New York, those are movies that say gawdy violence to me. How about the end of the movie? The guy gets shot more times than tony montana.

Edited by max power

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 5, 2007 -> 02:13 AM)
The Public Enemy is one of my top 5 favorite movies. I just referenced scarface because most people have seen it. There was nothing gawdy about that 1931 movie, that's pretty ridiculous. Most of the time people were being killed in The Public Enemy it wasn't even directly filmed yet you still knew it happened, making the movie even more intense imo. It was stylized, yes, very.

I guess it depends on your definition of gawdy. City of god, scarface, Gangs of New York, those are movies that say gawdy violence to me. How about the end of the movie? The guy gets shot more times than tony montana.

overly stylized and gawdy was referring to scarface(depalma), but in the context of their time, the public enemy was glorifying the violence, everyone wanted to be like cagney. one guy going in a room full of top mobsters and killing all of them/only getting shot once, in the head, walking out onto the street for a 300 feet and saying "i ain't so tough" isn't that much more far fetched then the amt. of times shot in city of god.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 4, 2007 -> 08:25 PM)
Is the Prestige watcheable in two sittings? Or do I have to watch it straight through?

I'd watch it straight through, the movie flows nicely so I wouldn't want to walk away from it halfway through but I guess if you really wanted to you could pull it off.

Music and Lyrics with a special friend, excellent. Love a chick flick with a chick :D

Wild Hogs with a buddy, excellent :lolhitting

Just have to pair the movie and friend and good things happen.

It crashed my computer. I'm going to try again though.

Watched it.

WOW!!! I'm guessing the movie will end with the little Venom bit that leaked out before. It looks like the Venom suit creates itself into the familiar shape at the very end of the trailer.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 10:21 AM)
There was a special on the History Channel last night about "300". It wasn't about the movie, but about the real stand.

http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=det...pisodeId=214233

Speaking of Cage, nobody was a fan of Matchstick Men?

I thought Matchstick Men was good. I like Cage for some reason.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 10:21 AM)
There was a special on the History Channel last night about "300". It wasn't about the movie, but about the real stand.

http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=det...pisodeId=214233

I watched about an hour and thought it was rather good. It's obvious they attempted to mimmick some of the cinematography featured within 300.

The movie itself was rated 4 starts by Richard Roeper. Another film I'm interested in seeing, "The Host," was given 3 1/2.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed me some Black Snake Moan.It was strange and over the top but I was really entertained by it.It something you wouldnt go with your mother or kids to see.Very raunchy scenes with rappers mounting up on Ricci's back side,but Samuel Jackson did a really good acting job ,and in a wierd way their was a good moral to the story.It is something you could wait till DVD because I can see this movie being offensive to most and your taking a risk going to the theatre paying your 10 bucks.