Films

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 09:27 PM)
I finally got around to watching Requiem for a Dream, and really, I didn't think it was good. The soundtrack, fantastic. The cinematography, great. The acting, good. But really, the movie had little to no substance to it, and wasn't that good. The plot was nothing special at all, and I felt like it had no purpose behind it (guess what, drugs are bad and they mess up your dreams/life! surprise surprise!).

I will give the movie that it's incredibly powerful though, which was clearly one of its goals. I had a tough time sitting through the whole thing... it got nearly too depressing for me towards the end, and I'm usually fine with depressing movies and such.

There are some pretty good reviews here (watch out for spoilers) that basically say exactly what I think (search "JohnnyTower321" and "Ang Griffen" for my two favorites).

I saw Requiem for a dream a while ago and I thought it was interesting. Nothing I would want to see over and over but it definitely makes you think. I never thought I could view Marlon Wayans as a serious actor.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from Grindhouse... loved it.

NOTE SEMI-SPOILER (Not really, but I don't want to ruin anything...)

I thought it dragged a bit in the second half. The scenes with the women just talking were eerily similar to many other Tarantino scenes, ala the opening part of Resevior Dogs. Still, the end more than made up for it. The trailers were also hilarious.

I'm a sucker for Tarantino movies. I know there's a bit of controversy surrounding him, but I've loved every movie of his besides Hostel.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 02:25 AM)
I'm a sucker for Tarantino movies. I know there's a bit of controversy surrounding him, but I've loved every movie of his besides Hostel.

Tarantino was merely the executive producer of Hostel. Such a title within the film industry is the equivalent of someone with political influence hiring a relative to hold an easy job, yet, still receive a paycheck. I'm sure the filmmakers didn't mind as it allowed them to attach his name to the film.

Far as Grindhouse, would you say Planet Terror was more enjoyable than Death Proof? A friend of mine told me earlier that Death Proof was an incredible letdown.

Yeah Death Proof had a lot of talking, but the car chase was pretty cool and it wasnt as bad as some people make it out to be. Most of my friends thought it would have been cooler if the car had special powers or something which in my opinion would have been totally retarded.

QUOTE(shoota @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 08:18 PM)
I recommend Running Scared with Paul Walker and a spicy Vera Farminga looking much better than she did in The Departed.

That was actually a surprisingly good movie.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 10:39 AM)
Is that for real?

It looks like the next sequel to 28 days later only this time its with fluffy innocent looking sheep.

Holy s***...that is a must see.

Flash --

Like others have said, Death Proof dragged a little bit. There was a lot of talking -- some of which was funny, other moments just sort of dragged (hate being redundant) -- but I thought the car scene made it worth it. Overall, it's a movie you have to see. The fake trailers are hilarious, as are some of the other little commercials. The spots where they inserted "Missing Reel" were pretty funny, too. I also enjoyed the many ass and boob shots -- funny and good at the same time.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 06:37 PM)
Saw Blades of Glory last night, I'd give it about 3 stars. The beginning was good and Will Ferrells character was great, but other than that it was just so-so. Isn't near as good as Talledaga Nights.

I have been one of the biggest fans of Will Ferrell throughout his career but this last movie has shown me he is done.He is the same character in every flick really.If I would have seen Blades 10 years ago it probably would have been one of my favorite movies, but now its just the same s***.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)
Flash --

Like others have said, Death Proof dragged a little bit. There was a lot of talking -- some of which was funny, other moments just sort of dragged (hate being redundant) -- but I thought the car scene made it worth it. Overall, it's a movie you have to see. The fake trailers are hilarious, as are some of the other little commercials. The spots where they inserted "Missing Reel" were pretty funny, too. I also enjoyed the many ass and boob shots -- funny and good at the same time.

The whole flick would have been awesome if it weren't for Quentin Terrintino being such an overhyped director or producer or whatever he is. The first movie was fantastic and the different trailers they showed were freaking hillarious. Really enjoyed it.

The second movie was one of the biggest pieces of garbage I've ever seen for about 40 minutes and than you have that 10 minute car chase that was absolutely awesome. However, the 40 minutes before it truly did little to set up the sweet car chase. Quentin's flick would have been good if they showed both car scene's and just took a few minutes to set em up, imo.

Still, its the type of movie I'll watch when it comes out on DVD again, this time skipping through almost all of Quentin's movie. I definitely recommend the flick though.

I actually enjoyed Tarantino's movie a lot, it was way way more realistic than Planet Terror and I think the movie needed the talking, it also why his past movies have been successful. And like mentioned b4, when there was action it was top notch.

Thats not a knock on Planet Terror which still overall was prob the better movie. Also I think that the Machete trailor might be a real one that Rodriguez plans on working on.

Edited by SoxFan101

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 08:06 AM)
I actually enjoyed Tarantino's movie a lot, it was way way more realistic than Death Proof and I think the movie needed the talking, it also why his past movies have been successful. And like mentioned b4, when there was action it was top notch.

Thats not a knock on Death Proof which still overall was prob the better movie. Also I think that the Machete trailor might be a real one that Rodriguez plans on working on.

Wait, I'm confused...wasn't Death Proof the one that Tarantino made? Or was that just a typo?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 09:06 AM)
I actually enjoyed Tarantino's movie a lot, it was way way more realistic than Planet Terror and I think the movie needed the talking, it also why his past movies have been successful. And like mentioned b4, when there was action it was top notch.

Thats not a knock on Planet Terror which still overall was prob the better movie. Also I think that the Machete trailor might be a real one that Rodriguez plans on working on.

A movie about a vehicular killer is more realistic than a zombie flick?! GET OUTTA TOWN!!!!

And I heard Machete is going to be a straight-to-video release.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 11:21 AM)
A movie about a vehicular killer is more realistic than a zombie flick?! GET OUTTA TOWN!!!!

LOL, that comment stuck out to me as well. Were you expecting a zombie movie to be realistic?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 12:14 PM)
LOL, that comment stuck out to me as well. Were you expecting a zombie movie to be realistic?

Im just saying, planet terror was just a ridiculous movie and that was enjoyable in its own right. But for me I tend to enjoy the realistic movie more.

SPOILER QUESTION for Planet Terror (Grindhouse)

I feel sort of stupid asking, but why -- in the first flick -- did everything keep blowing up? I didn't have a problem with it -- things randomly starting on fire is great -- but I didn't know why...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 01:44 PM)
SPOILER QUESTION for Planet Terror (Grindhouse)

I feel sort of stupid asking, but why -- in the first flick -- did everything keep blowing up? I didn't have a problem with it -- things randomly starting on fire is great -- but I didn't know why...

Stray bullets hitting gas tanks? That's the best I can come up with. I think Rodriguez was probably trying to make it a little ridiculous. The movie was just so over-the-top that that might be a reason for random explosions.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Apr 8, 2007 -> 02:33 PM)
Stray bullets hitting gas tanks? That's the best I can come up with. I think Rodriguez was probably trying to make it a little ridiculous. The movie was just so over-the-top that that might be a reason for random explosions.

spoiler

Didnt the 2 brothers have a bomb they setoff that was causing everything to blow off. Like Rodriguez told them 2 wait 3 minutes and than hit it.