Films

LosMediasBlancas

I know this post comes up all the time, but hey, WTF.

Any good films you'd recommend either at the movies or recently out on DVD for rental? There seems to be a shortage lately.

I saw "Sideways" over the weekend. Not bad, superficially it's a comedy, with some pretty good issues underneath.

Anyone seen "Closer" yet?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any good films you'd recommend either at the movies or recently out on DVD for rental?

Depends on what kind of movie genre you most enjoy. Recent movies that I just watched are: To Kill A Mockingbird, Hero, and Alexander the Great. Today is the 20th (5 more days for Christmas) so the Christmas marathon of films begins at my home this evening. :)

Full Circle.

Perhaps the most underrated, suspenseful horror movie I've ever seen. Mystery Channel, a cable network available on Comcast, broadcasted this movie several times last week. IMDB doesn't have any VHS or DVD links available, but if you happen to come across this movie its worthy of rental.

Perhaps some of the most distinguished (older :D ) Soxtalk members may recall this Mia Farrow flick. Holy crap was it scary. If anyone has heard of Don't Look Now (starring Donald Sutherland), it manages to surpasses this film; which oddly follows a similar premise of a parent haunted by the untimely death of their child.

I know this post comes up all the time, but hey, WTF.

Any good films you'd recommend either at the movies or recently out on DVD for rental? There seems to be a shortage lately.

I saw "Sideways" over the weekend. Not bad, superficially it's a comedy, with some pretty good issues underneath.

Anyone seen  "Closer" yet?

In the spirit of the season I recommend renting "Bad Santa". Somehow the idea of a drunken mall santa staggering through the crowd waiting to see him and knocking everything over is hysterical to me.

I was laughing so hard at that movie it hurt.

ND just makes me laugh in general. The deleted scene alone.

Anchorman next week. By far the funniest movie of the year.

Also, if you like the foreign films - I loved Good Bye Lenin!, a German movie about the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Goodbye Lenin didn't really feel like a foreign film. It was kinda like 28 days later, if you didn't remind yourself that it was you wouldn't really realize it. It was really solid though.

And Small Soldiers, well I was half-kidding about that one. It was great because it was stupid and entertaining to see people being terrorized by toys.

I think Germany is finally coming to terms with the way unification felt the Easter third of the country. By the time that those in the East realized what was happening, they were powerless to control the forces that were changing a lot of their lives. It really did affect the power structure in the East and across the country for a good 8 years, and only stopped getting national prominence after some gerrymandering from the CenterLeft SPD party in 2002.

ND just makes me laugh in general. The deleted scene alone.

Anchorman next week. By far the funniest movie of the year.

Also, if you like the foreign films - I loved Good Bye Lenin!, a German movie about the fall of the Berlin Wall.

I've seen acouple of good French films on DVD recently, 'Amelie' is not bad, 'Love me if you dare' is very well made.

I've seen acouple of good French films on DVD recently, 'Amelie' is not bad, 'Love me if you dare' is very well made.

I wanna see A Very Long Engagement, which is made by the same dude who did Amelie. Also if you like older movies, I really dug some Louis Malle stuff, Murmur of the Heart in particular.

In the spirit of the season I recommend renting "Bad Santa".  Somehow the idea of a drunken mall santa staggering through the crowd waiting to see him and knocking everything over is hysterical to me.

I was laughing so hard at that movie it hurt.

We bought it last weekend and watched it.. OMFG.. Jim was laughing so hard I thought he was going to piss his pants.. I couldn't breathe.

BBT was friggin hysterical and the little black guy (who's name escapes me at this moment) was a riot. The kid deserves an oscar nomination also for being able to play that role without cracking up in his scenes with BBT. Solid movie.

We bought it last weekend and watched it.. OMFG.. Jim was laughing so hard I thought he was going to piss his pants.. I couldn't breathe.

BBT was friggin hysterical and the little black guy (who's name escapes me at this moment) was a riot. The kid deserves an oscar nomination also for being able to play that role without cracking up in his scenes with BBT. Solid movie.

Tony Cox

Sideways is one of the best movies of the year in my opinion. It should win best Picture this year, should, but it won't.

others I would suggest:

The Life Aquatic (In theaters 12/25)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (on DVD now)

Garden State (on DVD 12/28)

Anchorman (on DVD 12/28)