Films

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Goldmember @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:35 AM)
boogeyman - started good but ended flat on its face...

Agree. I was hoping to be scared and I was like "hu...?" about half way.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
Rented "The Machinist". Pretty good. Odd as well, but I bought it. Christian Bale is awesome. He lost 60 lbs for this role and is unreal.

I bought it the other day and haven't watched it yet. I did buy the anniversary edition of American Psycho and watched it again.. he was amazing in that movie. Looking forward to seeing him in Batman next week also.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
Every once in a while, in a marriage, you have to 'take one for the team'. Last night was one of those nights. We went to see "Bewitched'.....that might very well be the worst movie I have ever seen.  Ya ever had such a bad time somewhere that you actually become angry? :angry:

Yes. The Forgotten.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 12:47 AM)
I just saw Clerks for the first time tonight.  It's really incredible how good the writing was when considering how low budget this is. Kevin Smith really is a genius writer.

WOAH.. Where have you been for the last 11 years. That movie is a new classic.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
Thx for tip, I've had that in my hand at the video store and haven't pulled the trigger.

Don't. No sense in risking a trigger pull to the temple after watching it.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
We saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Friday nite.  Very, very cool now.  WAY better than the original.

I dug it. The ending dragged out more than I thought. More faithful to the book, except for the extra ending but it just looked very cool. I saw it on IMAX but would of been fine seeing it on regular sized screen.

posted this on film-talk.com felt it was worthwhile to put on here

This is my first live-action anime movie and I'm wondering if it is the first movie of it's kind. This is an incredibly creative, yet convoluted futuristic war epic apparently remade from an earlier anime film. The effects in some places were really great especially in the fight sequence between the neo-sapien robot army and Casshern. In contrast, the choreography of the fight scenes seemed very poor, even worse than that of Batman Begins. The effects on backgrounds and surroundings don't seem to rival those of Sin City, another movie done against green screens but are nonetheless impressive in detail. The plot of the film is very interesting for the first half but then after a false ending the movie become confusing, overlong and overly-dazzling. Also for a really cool costume and incredible powers the filmmakers fail to portray Casshern as a great hero, whether this was intended or not I don't know but I took issue it. Oh and did anyone else notice the reference to The Untouchables?

6/10

http://www.apple.com/jp/quicktime/trailers...hern_large.html

post-29-1121832908.jpg

Edited by KipWellsFan

Also saw Gunner Palace a week or so ago. It wasn't the most compelling documentary with relatively low production values. Nonetheless I think it's currently the best portrait of the War in Iraq along with a few tv documentaries of the same subject. The filmmakers don't seem to take any certain political stance on the War as they leave it up to the soldiers to form the opinions expressed by this doc which are I'd say somewhat against American involvement in Iraq. Whether the directors chose soldiers with opinions to match their opinions or not is up for interpretation. Solid and educational doc.

7/10

trailer

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/...palace-tlr.html

Edited by KipWellsFan

Went and saw "The Island". I wasn't planning on it but saw some decent reviews so figured why not. Not bad, not great either. Summer popcorn movie. Typical stuff.

BTW, for those of you who are blind, Scarlett Johannsen is unbelievably hot.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
Went and saw "The Island". I wasn't planning on it but saw some decent reviews so figured why not. Not bad, not great either. Summer popcorn movie. Typical stuff.

BTW, for those of you who are blind, Scarlett Johannsen is unbelievably hot.

I believe there is a scene that she is in some underwear and she didn't like the look of them so she wanted to go nude but bay would not let her. :angry:

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 08:47 PM)
I believe there is a scene that she is in some underwear and she didn't like the look of them so she wanted to go nude but bay would not let her. :angry:

I read about that. They made her keep the bra on cuz they wanted a PG-13 rating. You really don't see her from the neck down in that scene anyway.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 01:04 AM)
The more important question is why is Michael Bay still allowed to make films?

Because "Pearl Harbor" was Oscar material.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
The more important question is why is Michael Bay still allowed to make films?

You'll be happy to hear that The Island only made a little over 4million on Friday. Only barely ahead of Bad News Bears and not even twice as much as Devil's Rejects.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
You'll be happy to hear that The Island only made a little over 4million on Friday.  Only barely ahead of Bad News Bears and not even twice as much as Devil's Rejects.

Now I feel like a loser. I love the original Bad News Bears but want to see the remake cuz I liked Bad Santa.