Films

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
Robert DeNiro movies have sucked recently.  He wants more screen time than his characters deserve or something like that.  I probably watched Godsend the same time you were watching it.  It definitely blew.

Ring 1 sucked.  I can't imagine the second one not being worse.

It's funny, I think people are SO far apart on 'The Ring' and 'Napoleon Dynamite'. You'll find few people who will say either of those movies was just OK. Everyone seems to either love them or absolutely hate them. I have to add 'Saw' to that list also.

'The Ring' was the first horror movie since 'The Exorcist' to make the hairs on my neck stand up. 'The Ring 2' blows mules.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hi8is @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
i dont understand what was so scary about the ring... maybe im just cold blooded.

If nothing in a movie has ever scared you, then maybe you are cold blooded. If you're saying that you've been scared at other movies, but not at 'The Ring', then maybe it just didn't do it for you. There are a few different ways to scare people.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 01:18 AM)
If nothing in a movie has ever scared you, then maybe you are cold blooded. If you're saying that you've been scared at other movies, but not at 'The Ring', then maybe it just didn't do it for you. There are a few different ways to scare people.

I wasn't scared by the Ring at all. The last movie to scare me was the Exorcist, and even that's dumb now. Either nobody's good at making horror movies anymore, or what they say about video games is right.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
I wasn't scared by the Ring at all.  The last movie to scare me was the Exorcist, and even that's dumb now.  Either nobody's good at making horror movies anymore, or what they say about video games is right.

Probably a little bit of both. The horror genre ran out of new ideas long ago. I don't know if video games have had an effect on you, I never really played them. I've heard they make you less shocked by violence, not sure if that's really the same thing though.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
No s***?  Oh, f*** that then.

Thx for the heads up.

I saw the Devil's Rejects a couple months ago or whenever it came out, and I thought I'd get some good scares out of it. At some parts I was thinking to myself, "I guess that's pretty f***ed up, but it's not really scary." That was a movie I was sure would at least get me thinking, but it let me down. So, I doubt a ripoff of the Exorcist that little kids can see won't scare many people too much.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
PG-13, I think.  Can't be too good.

The Others was PG-13 and that was pretty damn effective. :huh Are we after GORE or are we after SCARES? Huge difference, and scares can be acheived with a "safe" rating. But if you want gore, go out and get ahold of Cannibal Holocaust. That should satisfy your thirst for a good amount of time.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
The Others was PG-13 and that was pretty damn effective.  :huh  Are we after GORE or are we after SCARES? Huge difference, and scares can be acheived with a "safe" rating. But if you want gore, go out and get ahold of Cannibal Holocaust. That should satisfy your thirst for a good amount of time.

Well, not just gore, but a good scary movie should probably have a part in it that makes you wanna look away. The Others was pretty good, definitely better than most of the stuff today.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
Well, not just gore, but a good scary movie should probably have a part in it that makes you wanna look away.  The Others was pretty good, definitely better than most of the stuff today.

Seriously check out that film I posted on the other page called Dead Birds. It's probably the exact mix you are looking for, and it is loved by seasoned Horror freaks. Also check out Dog Soldiers if you haven't yet.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
Seriously check out that film I posted on the other page called Dead Birds. It's probably the exact mix you are looking for, and it is loved by seasoned Horror freaks. Also check out Dog Soldiers if you haven't yet.

Haha, Dog Soldiers? Isn't that the cheap Scifi movie about werewolves in Scotland?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
Haha, Dog Soldiers?  Isn't that the cheap Scifi movie about werewolves in Scotland?

It's about the Dog Soldiers which cannot be killed ever.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
Haha, Dog Soldiers?  Isn't that the cheap Scifi movie about werewolves in Scotland?

:bang Man...it's a damn shame that Sci-Fi picked that damn film up! EVERYBODY thinks it is a Sci-Fi original! It's was only picked up by them, but the film was made in Scotland and is NOT a low budget cheapo film. It has some great FX (NONE of which are CGI), great acting, and is commonly regarded as one of the best Werewolf flicks made. But people see it on Sci-Fi and instantly turn there mind into accepting it for a cheesy film and ignore the good qualities to it. Much the same way as movies like The Exorcist and the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre get laughs from theaters full of people nowdays. Same way as films like the new Gamera series gets laughs from people only going in hoping to see cheesy giant turtle action, and ignoring the brilliant FX work and great acting and script in the film. Same was as people seeing a "zipper" on a Godzilla costume (a feature that has NEVER existed on a Godzilla costume...or a costume used in Creature From The Black Lagoon

which is anothet film that gets the "zipper" accusation all of the time). If you have seen Dog Soldiers but only saw it as a Sci-Fi channel flick, check it out again on DVD and get it out of your head that it is a Sci-Fi film. If you have not seen it due to it being on Sci-Fi, rent it and watch it. My wife HATES Horror films (a funny thing as to how much she hates them considering our first date was a viewing of the original Dawn Of The Dead and I have written more than my fair share of reviews and articles for Horror magazines and websites), but she loved Dog Soldiers.

Also give Below a shot, if you haven't yet.

Sorry about the rant, but not 15 minutes ago I just got done going through this Sci-Fi channel thing on another board! LOL!!!

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
:bang  Man...it's a damn shame that Sci-Fi picked that damn film up! EVERYBODY thinks it is a Sci-Fi original! It's was only picked up by them, but the film was made in Scotland and is NOT a low budget cheapo film. It has some great FX (NONE of which are CGI), great acting, and is commonly regarded as one of the best Werewolf flicks made. But people see it on Sci-Fi and instantly turn there mind into accepting it for a cheesy film and ignore the good qualities to it. Much the same way as movies like The Exorcist and the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre get laughs from theaters full of people nowdays. Same way as films like the new Gamera series gets laughs from people only going in hoping to see cheesy giant turtle action, and ignoring the brilliant FX work and great acting and script in the film. Same was as people seeing a "zipper" on a Godzilla costume (a feature that has NEVER existed on a Godzilla costume...or a costume used in Creature From The Black Lagoon

which is anothet film that gets the "zipper" accusation all of the time). If you have seen Dog Soldiers but only saw it as a Sci-Fi channel flick, check it out again on DVD and get it out of your head that it is a Sci-Fi film. If you have not seen it due to it being on Sci-Fi, rent it and watch it. My wife HATES Horror films (a funny thing as to how much she hates them considering our first date was a viewing of the original Dawn Of The Dead and I have written more than my fair share of reviews and articles for Horror magazines and websites), but she loved Dog Soldiers.

Also give Below a shot, if you haven't yet.

Sorry about the rant, but not 15 minutes ago I just got done going through this Sci-Fi channel thing on another board! LOL!!!

I saw it and I liked it, but it came nowhere near scaring me. I love the monster movies that SciFi shows, whether they made them or not. I enjoyed the movie, but I'm talking about movies that give me a scare. And that didn't really come close.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Sounds cool, but I went to the site and I didn't see any zombies. Talk about a HUGE tease.  :D

Hey, YOU'RE the zombie movie guy, not me! :D

I like movies about f***ed-up musicians - and in some cases, the women who kill them ( or at least help them down the road to death ):

Decline of Western Civilization 1 & 2

Sid & Nancy

Kurt & Courtney

just to name a few....

I've read a couple VERY interesting reviews for Waking Up Dead, and the trailer alone cinches it for me - I must see this movie!