College: Ohio Univ.

Height: 6-foot-8

Weight: 260 pounds

Class: '04

Bats: right

Throws: right

Born: April 14, 1983

Signed: June 22, 2004

Adam Russell performed great all season for the Great Falls White Sox, whether as a reliever, or as a starter, which he became late in the season. After being drafted in the 8th round in this year’s draft, the 6-foot-8, 250 lb. Russell, who looks more like a Power Forward in basketball than a baseball player, went 4-0 with a 2.37 ERA in 15 appearances (4 starts). The huge righty out of Ohio also struck out 33 in 38 IP, while walking 18. While neither his strikeout nor walk numbers are great, you definitely can’t argue his effectiveness.

Russell was selected by the Chicago White Sox in the sixth round of the 2004 First-Year Player Draft.

"It was a dream come true," said Russell. "There are no words to describe what I am going through right now."

Russell, the 179th overall pick, appeared in 38 games with 24 starts in his first three years at Ohio. He is 6-11 with a save and a career ERA of 6.28. In 166 innings pitched, the 6-8 right-hander has struck out 126 batters.

After a slow start to his junior season, Russell came alive in his last eight appearances posting a 1-1 record and a 2.69 ERA. In 40 innings pitched he allowed 43 hits. He also walked just 18 batters against 40 strikeouts.

Russell, a 20th round pick by the Florida Marlins in 2000, finished his junior year at 1-3 with a 4.50 ERA, striking out 61 batters in 64 innings of work.

He was the third Mid-American Conference player selected through the first 18 rounds of the Amateur draft. Eastern Michigan's Brian Bixler was picked by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the second round (52), while Miami's Mike Ferris was tabbed just eight picks later (60) by the St. Louis Cardinals.

MLB.Com Comment on Adam Russell

TALL, STRONG, SOLID FRAME. WELL PROPORTIONED. BROAD SHOULDERS. LEG STRENGTH. SIMILAR BODY TYPE TO JEFF NELSON. HIGH 3/4 ARM SLOT. EASY DELIVERY. GOOD RHYTHM. MOST FB 90-93, RUN, TAIL LIFE, OCCAISIONALLY JUMPS. SLURVE-TYPE SLIDER, HARD, QUICK, SNAP AT TIMES. FEEL FOR CIRCLE CHANGE IMPROVED SINCE LAST YR. STRONG KID W/GOOD ARM STRENGTH. A HORSE. MECHANICS & ARM WORK WELL. SHOWS PROMISE W/SAVVY. COMPETITOR. THREE PITCHES TO WORK WITH. COACHABLE.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Adam Russell, a poor man's Brandon McCarthey, is off to another fairly good season for the Winston-Salem team. In 9 starts, he's 4-2 with a 3.10 ERA. His numbers don't compare to what McCarthey did at this level very well but he has been consistently solid for three years.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil..._pbp&pid=452240

In 2005, Adam went 9-7 with a 3.78 ERA at Kannapolis.

Where's the BMac comparison? His strikeout numbers are way lower and walk numbers way higher. I think Russell is a solid pitcher, but he needs to start going deeper into games before I will consider him a solid prospect.

QUOTE(danman31 @ May 26, 2006 -> 12:59 AM)
Where's the BMac comparison? His strikeout numbers are way lower and walk numbers way higher. I think Russell is a solid pitcher, but he needs to start going deeper into games before I will consider him a solid prospect.

Don't have my notes in front of me, but Russel has a pretty good FB right?

He throws in the low 90s. I called him a poor man's BMac. No, he doesn't have BMac's K numbers. But, I still think this kid has a chance. He has the tools.

He is built alot like BMac which is the main reason for the comparison.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ May 29, 2006 -> 12:51 AM)
He throws in the low 90s. I called him a poor man's BMac. No, he doesn't have BMac's K numbers. But, I still think this kid has a chance. He has the tools.

He is built alot like BMac which is the main reason for the comparison.

That's fair. I like Russell myself, but I was puzzled as to a comparison.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Adam is pitching in relief this Fall. The White Sox have apparently told him that his future with the team is in long relief. I still think this guy is a nice sleeper to eventually make the big league club, though recent acquisitions make it less likely.

At one point he was rated by Baseball America as our #7 best prospect with the best fastball in our system.

His stats from last year and the current fall league season are here.

There's a good story on Adam from August 2006 here.

• 1 month later...

On the move: With his various arm angles, a lively fastball in the mid-90s and an impressive 6-foot-8, 250-pound frame, Adam Russell has already opened more than a few eyes during the first week of Spring Training. The right-hander moved from Kannapolis in 2005 to stops at both Winston-Salem and Birmingham in 2006. Russell finished 7-3 with a 2.66 ERA over 17 starts for the Warthogs and 3-3 with a 4.75 ERA for the Barons. Russell could end up as part of a deep Charlotte rotation, although his future might be in the bullpen.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2007 -> 07:04 PM)
I think it was mentioned that he doesnt have the amount of pitches to make it as a starter in the big leagues. With roughly 2 pitches he would be more effective out of the pen.

Well, I don't know how good all of his pitches are, but he does throw 4. Well, actually 5 if you count the fact that he throws his fastball from 2 arm angles, depending on the situation. His overhand fastball and drop-down slider are his main strikeout pitches.

His pitches include:

Overhand Fastball

Overhand Curve

Overhand Change

Drop-down Fastball

Drop-down Slider

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2007 -> 09:28 PM)
It sounds to me like hes a bigger talent than many think

I agree completely. I really am interested by the fact that he throws his fastball from 2 different angles. That really can mess up some hitters if they have to see two different arm angles on two consecutive pitches.

With his arm angles, size, movement on his pitches, and overall demeanor on the mound he kind of reminds me of the Count. Maybe he can get a few pointers on the split-finger and iron it out in the minors, and come back next spring and make a push for the big league club.