WSCR 670AM, MLB.com: "El Duque" agrees to deal

Flash Tizzle

George Offman broke this story ten minutes ago.

Apparently, El Duque is flying in tomorrow for a physical. If he passes, official announcement will likely follow.

While he's certaintly not my first option, I applaud management for finding a suitable SP replacement outside our organization.

EDIT: If various incentives are reached, deal could reach 12 million.

-----

EDIT by aboz56:

Report: El Duque Close To Signing With Sox

Complete Chicago Tribune Coverage of El Duque to the Sox

The Miami Herald reported on Wednesday that Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez has agreed to a two-year, $8 million deal to join the South Siders, pending a physical. Hernandez already has been a part of the White Sox organization, if only for a period of a couple of hours

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year, he gave up 9 homers in 84 innings. That's good enough for me. I think the people that will complain about this thought the Sox would actually get in a bidding war for an average pitcher like D. Lowe or Milton. If we really do get him for about 5 million, we should still have enough money left to get a quality middle infielder.

You can argue he was their best pitcher last year at times.

You can also argue that he's never had any success outside of New York. Let's see what type of effect Don Cooper has on him instead of Mel Stottlemire for a change. I think El Duque knows he has something to prove, if he makes this move.

El Duque is much better than Grilli or Diaz.  I would have no problem with him coming in, as it seems that Odalis, Lowe, and Wade Miller will go for a lot more money.

I agree. No more false assurances of Grilli/Diaz rising above expectations.

Sox management wins. I've finally heralded a cheap signing due to the dwindling market.

Odalis Perez negotiations may have put us in this position. I'd prefer Williams signs Perez, but my main concern is our involvement in a potential bidding war could leave us with no one if Perez signs elsewhere, and remaining SP's/IF are signed.

if true, and if healthy, this is a decent pickup. Even if he only starts 20 games, you know they are going to be pretty good starts and with days off and so on, there will only be a few starts where someone outside Buehrle/Garcia/Garland/Contreras/Hernandez pitch.