WSCR 670AM, MLB.com: "El Duque" agrees to deal

Flash Tizzle

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather get Eck instead of cora.  I dont feel that good about having a relative in the coaching aspect.  It kind of skews the objectivity. 

Get Eck and you have some great balance.

I agree, but I definitely think that St. Louis is going to overpay for Eckstien. IIRC, isn't Hector Luna their starting SS right now if they don't get anyone?

Eckstein would be a better pickup, but I wouldn't be angry if Cora was the one picked up...

Well, if the signing is true, than for the first time in over three years (or is it four?), we have FIVE -- count 'em, five capable starters. 

I'm worried about Contreras, but it feels good.  I think we have a nice pitching staff on our hands this year, and I really think one of Eckstien/Cora will still be added.

obviously, it isn't ideal as a #3 starter was wanted. Now while Hernandez can be good enough to be a #3, his health will prevent any such expectations.

but we do have five starters, which is very important considering how many questions are surrounding the offense.

I wonder if Contreras and El Duque get along well?  Maybe that's a reason that El Duque would consider the White Sox.

George Offman (not certain if this is how you spell his name) claims Hernandez and Contreras are good friends. Both are Cuban defectors; which means instant connection. Sort of like Ozzie with Latin ballplayers. :D

I agree, but I definitely think that St. Louis is going to overpay for Eckstien.  IIRC, isn't Hector Luna their starting SS right now if they don't get anyone? 

Eckstein would be a better pickup, but I wouldn't be angry if Cora was the one picked up...

Eckstein would be a better, but tougher pickup. I could just see a team giving him a starting job at short.

obviously, it isn't ideal as a #3 starter was wanted. Now while Hernandez can be good enough to be a #3, his health will prevent any such expectations.

but we do have five starters, which is very important considering how many questions are surrounding the offense.

Is this the end of the teeball stand 5th starter. Will our anti-hero JR's cheapness finally pay off. Will they get another INF to platoon with Willie. Answers to this an more will come tomorrow on As the Southside turns

Looking at El Duque's stats, they aren't bad. 2 consecutive seasons with ERA's under 4. Not exactly an innings eater and IIRC, he is a tad injury prone. Thankfully, we have a pretty deep bullpen that could keep us from overextending him.

Not really an exciting pick up, but if it happens, I like it. Not much better out there.

Cheat, I'm waiting for what you think on this trade.

What was El Duque's ERA+ in his years at NY?

Good move...

Health is the only factor...

El Duque is nasty when he's healthy... The Yankees best pitcher in the second half last year.

here's your ERA+ info

Year   Age       IP   ERA+

1998 32 141.0 143

1999 33 214.1 109

2000 34 195.2 112

2001 35 94.2 92

2002 36 146.0 120

2004 138 84.2 136

==========================

Very old 876.1 116

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

Is this the end of the teeball stand 5th starter.  Will our anti-hero JR's cheapness finally pay off.  Will they get another INF to platoon with Willie.  Answers to this an more will come tomorrow on As the Southside turns

SS71, is that Grilli in your avatar? A college picture of Grilli?

Looking at El Duque's stats, they aren't bad.  2 consecutive seasons with ERA's under 4.  Not exactly an innings eater and IIRC, he is a tad injury prone.  Thankfully, we have a pretty deep bullpen that could keep us from overextending him.

Not really an exciting pick up, but if it happens, I like it.  Not much better out there.

When he's healthy he's definitely a quaility number 3, once again we just have to keep him healthy.

Some people think this is a done deal.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of a failed physical.

Its a done deal when they have a press conference and El Duque is putting on his whitesox hat and through translator Ozzie Guillen tells everyone how happy he is to be here.

ever since we lost out on clement... this is what ive been advocating... el duque can be down right filthy... and its not a matter of him having a bad day or whatever... if he is healthy, look out, hes got ace like stuff

like others said, with out bullpen and the fact that we will carry 12 pitchers... he dosent have to pitch that much, he will be a great great great addition if we can just use him right.

also, we will have more cash... hes comming to us at 4 million.... nice... so we have about 5 million left to spend on filling our holes

this team, if the lights turn on, and everything clicks, could be very... very good

thats a big IF but i like having a chance rather then already being screwed come april.

Actually according to ESPN and MLB.com he's 35. Listed birthday is 10/11/69.

Of course with Cuban pitchers, who the hell knows. He could be 70 and no one would have any idea.

Danny Almonte was 12 remember. the formula for latin players is as X approaches infinity z is greater than the multiplier of the age and the gravitation pull of the earth on tuesdays.

By that formula he is indeed 70. But can he toe the pitchers plate and give us a sub 7 ERA. I think the answer to that is yes.

And the best part of this deal. Is NO f***ING GRILLI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This made my evening.

I'll tell ya, while I wasn't an advocate of the Lee trade, I haven't been happier about our pitching staff in quite a while.

Buehrle/Garcia/El Duque/Contreras/Garland, with a bullpen of Cotts-Adkins/Politte/Vizcaino/Hermanson/Marte/Takatsu is really, really good. I love it even moreso because I feel that our bullpen has a chance to be awesome, too.

Nice job, Sox, and please, don't let this be a rumor -- please, let it be true!!!