WSCR 670AM, MLB.com: "El Duque" agrees to deal

Flash Tizzle

Carlos, Silva, Joe Mays and Kyle Lohse most likely.

Both starting rotations and bullpens eerily match up.

Santana/Radke/Mays/Lohse/Silva slightly offsets Garcia/Buehrle/Contreras/Garland/Hernandez.

Bullpen is equally matched. Crain/Balfor/Romero/Rincon/Nathan is on par with Politte/Hermanson/Vizcaino/Marte/Shingo.

Unless either team unpexpectantly falters, this division could be reminiscent of 2003's dogfight in September. With different results, of course.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, at the moment (w/El Duque) I'd say we're right there with the Yanks and Red Sox.  That most likely will change in that I expect them to pick up some other pitcher via FA or trade.

Yanks:

Mussina - good

Vasquez - who the hell knows

Brown - good when healthy

then what?

Red Sox:

Schilling - Great, may start season on DL

Wells - good

Clement - ok

Wakefield - eh.

Arroyo - ok.

I'd probably put the Red Sox ahead of us and I do realize the strong chance that the Yanks might get the Big Unit.  So, I'm thinking that we'll definitely start the season with the 3rd of 4th best staff in the AL.

Mussina - Down year last year but still one hell of a pitcher

Vazquez - Has the stuff to be an ace just about anywhere

Brown - When healthy better than anyone on the Sox

Pavano - If able to repeat will be dominant, but I still think he will be an above average pitcher (doesn't give up HRs or BBs)

Wright - Over rated and got a lucky year

I think we match up well pitching wise against the Yankees but I still don't know if we are on their level. Everyone has to step away and take away the home town factor and think of this objectively before we start saying we have a better staff than them. BoSox are the same way. I think our staff is the best its been in years, and definately has the potential to win us the division and would look pretty dirty in the playoffs too, but lets see them produce first before we go overboard.

Oh yah, my bad.  They still don't have them listed on their roster.

Me.

:dips***

Daaaaaaamn, I'd be f***ing pleased with the 1-5 the Yanks have now.

Moose

Brown

Vazquez

Pavano

Wright

Those are some names.

Unit

Moose

Brown

Pavano

Wright

I guess if they get Randy he could feed their "WORLD SERIES NOW" hunger. Although I believe Vazquez would be a fine option for their "WORLD SERIES NOW" hunger and their nonexistant "WORLD SERIES IN FUTURE SEASONS" hunger.

Definitly the other way to look at it.

To be honest, I'd take Orlando at 2/8 then Clement at 3/27 or Perez at 3/27 (which he'll end up getting)

Sure, it IS a White Sox move. But hey, it could turn out to be one of the best moves of the offseason. I was never sold into Clement or Perez. I'm more sold on Derek Lowe than those two. Not saying I'm sold on El Duque, but hey, at the price, you can't complain especially when it fills our 5th starter hole for the first time in who knows how long.

Espn raido" dialing bruce levines phone"

Bruce levine : " wakes up" Whose there? "Picks up phone" Hello, whats going on?

Espn raido: " the score offman is at it again sayin sox are signing el dueque"

Bruce Levine: " I will have to go call my inside sources on this one"

Kenny Willams : " I deny this as well people"

Bruce Levine: " Thank you kenny"

Assoicates reports " White sox sign El duque "

Bruce:" Well hes good pitcher and kenny said he wanted him all along"

Unless either team unpexpectantly falters, this division could be reminiscent of 2003's dogfith between both clubs.  With different results, of course.

I hope so, Flash.

2003 was such a blast (well, up until we got our asses kicked up in Minny). Down the stretch, we had an absolutely awesome team -- a healthy Maggs, Thomas, Lee, Valentin, Alomar (Robby), Hot Carl Everett (playing damn well).

Our rotation was kick ass. After a real poor first half, Buehrle was dominating. Same with Colon, and Loaiza was having such an extraordinary year.

Gordon and Marte solidified an OK bullpen, but it was still solid.

Come to think of it, even Garland was having a solid season -- IIRC, he pitched around 180 innings with a 4.51 ERA.

Again, I ask -- How the f*** did we not win the division that year? My freakin' goodness, Kenny assembled such a good team that year... Makes ya wonder, what would that team have done in the playoffs. Gosh... :crying

I hope so, Flash.

2003 was such a blast (well, up until we got our asses kicked up in Minny).  Down the stretch, we had an absolutely awesome team -- a healthy Maggs, Thomas, Lee, Valentin, Alomar (Robby), Hot Carl Everett (playing damn well).

Our rotation was kick ass.  After a real poor first half, Buehrle was dominating.  Same with Colon, and Loaiza was having such an extraordinary year.

Gordon and Marte solidified an OK bullpen, but it was still solid.

Come to think of it, even Garland was having a solid season -- IIRC, he pitched around 180 innings with a 4.51 ERA. 

Again, I ask -- How the f*** did we not win the division that year?  My freakin' goodness, Kenny assembled such a good team that year...  Makes ya wonder, what would that team have done in the playoffs.  Gosh...  :crying

I've got friends from other states that couldn't even believe the Sox didn't make the playoffs that year. :angry:

Wasn't 2003 the year that Brian Cashman said that the only team that he was scared to face in the playoffs was The Sox?

Guess he should have feared the Marlins too.

Well, they all choked. Bunch of goddamn chokers. And now most of them are gone and we get some fresh faces. People that are hopefully NOT chokers.

this is a typical sox move. KW is do intent on filling that #5 hole, that he misses the point. we should go out and get a #3 instead of filling in a #5. that is how winning teams win.  if they are missing at a position, they use it as a way to improve their ballclub, not fill in.

Look at his numbers before you say he is a five.

Exactly, when El Duque is healthy he is atleast a number 3 and last year while he pitched with the yanks he was their ace, that's how good he can be when healthy.

He does have a point in the fact that to keep El Duque healthy, we'll probably have to use him like a number 5 starter. The bad news is that he will probably be our third best pitcher. The good news is that we no longer have that gaping hole at #5. In fact, we can expect to win on those days.

Wasn't 2003 the year that Brian Cashman said that the only team that he was scared to face in the playoffs was The Sox?

Guess he should have feared the Marlins too.

Yeah, I remember hearing about that last year when we were playing in Yankee Stadium and there was a guest in the booth that admitted so too. I was scared of what the Sox had down the stretch. If it wasn't for Manuel, I think we could've won the pennant.

Don't forget about a healthy Schoenweis and Scott Sullivan out of the pen, super sub Tony Graffanino. Oh the heart ache that goes with that 2003 season.

Scott Sullivan?! That guy was terrible!!!

I went to 4 games that season and somehow he ended up pitching in all 4 of them and he was booed off the mound each time after a miserable performance.

He does have a point in the fact that to keep El Duque healthy, we'll probably have to use him like a number 5 starter.  The bad news is that he will probably be our third best pitcher.  The good news is that we no longer have that gaping hole at #5.  In fact, we can expect to win on those days.

That whole roulette wheel thing absolutely killed us last season. Here's hoping we sign this guy and they all stay healthy so we can put the roulette wheel back in the closet where it belongs.